Page 240 of 308 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast
Results 3,825 to 3,840 of 4925

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

  1. #3825
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,725
    Thanks
    712
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehjays View Post
    He doesn't fill a position of need very well though. His bat is good but his defence and arm are below average now.
    He's not good defensively but his bat makes up for it. He's a worthy upgrade over the crap currently in the corner OF on the team.

  2. #3826
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,725
    Thanks
    712
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A 3-WAR Outfielder is a 3-WAR Outfielder IMO, regardless of how much value comes from his bat versus defense. Would a good defensive player but a shitty hitter who projects for 3 WAR somehow fill our needs better? I don't think so. Frankly I think our run prevention is better than our offense right now anyway so if we want to break it down by fit an offensive player would probably be better.
    Agree 100%. Moss seems like a good fit to platoon with Upton but they still need another OF. Bautista is a huge upgrade over the rest of the OF on the market.

  3. #3827
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked 644 Times in 513 Posts
    Probably just me but I think Jose's offensive value is greater thann EE going forward for their career, Bautista will probably put up an obp north of .350 for quite some time

    Makes me think that there is more to this

  4. #3828
    Just Drafted
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    to sign Jose for pretty big money for 1 year and give up a draft pick seems like poor management to me.

    If in May Jose is still looking for a team and it becomes clear the jays will not get a draft pick then you can sign him.

    With that being said their isn't many good OF free agents left.

    Teams need starting pitching so the Jays should sign a starter and trade one of Happ, Liriano or Estrada for an outfielder. Keep Sanchez and Stroman.

  5. #3829
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked 644 Times in 513 Posts
    If Jose Bautista chooses to wait out till June he will definitely not be signing on with the Jays. I think many contending teams will be willing to give up a nice sum of money. Morales ended up with 8M and he wasn't even that sought after.

    Bautista can easily wait till June take a couple months off and sign on with a team in June for say 12M

    There will be no draft pick. I would consider that a major failure on Shapiro's Jays part, the second of this offseason ( EE Debacle)

  6. #3830
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,725
    Thanks
    712
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealAccountant View Post
    If Jose Bautista chooses to wait out till June he will definitely not be signing on with the Jays. I think many contending teams will be willing to give up a nice sum of money. Morales ended up with 8M and he wasn't even that sought after.

    Bautista can easily wait till June take a couple months off and sign on with a team in June for say 12M

    There will be no draft pick. I would consider that a major failure on Shapiro's Jays part, the second of this offseason ( EE Debacle)
    If he was really sought after a team would just give up a pick to sign him now. Not every team has to give up a 1st round pick.

  7. #3831
    MVP jaysblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,304
    Thanks
    1,601
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Kole Calhoun + for Stoman

    who says no
    I'd offer JA Happ + in a deal for Calhoun.

    Happ becomes a FA in 2019, Calhoun in 2020. Happ's value right now is probably at an all-time high. Plus 2 years/$26 million is a bargain for him. Obviously would have to add another piece along with Happ.

  8. #3832
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,467
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked 644 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    If he was really sought after a team would just give up a pick to sign him now. Not every team has to give up a 1st round pick.
    Fait enough

    The two teams that can use him the most their fan bases hate him

  9. #3833
    MVP gruber92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,194
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    I'd offer JA Happ + in a deal for Calhoun.

    Happ becomes a FA in 2019, Calhoun in 2020. Happ's value right now is probably at an all-time high. Plus 2 years/$26 million is a bargain for him. Obviously would have to add another piece along with Happ.
    Estrada is the SP that should be involved in a trade, especially before ST begins. Problem is that most GMs would probably be skeptical because of his back issues. I'd still dangle him out there just to feel the waters.

  10. #3834
    All Star SirBJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    3,502
    Thanks
    2,653
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Estrada is the SP that should be involved in a trade, especially before ST begins. Problem is that most GMs would probably be skeptical because of his back issues. I'd still dangle him out there just to feel the waters.
    If you're not looking to get anything back by dealing Estrada, then you can try go for it. He's a free agent after this season and as you pointed out, he's got some injury issues. At least with Happ there's an extra year of control and no health issues. By adding stuff with him as the main piece you can probably get something useful for him by selling high.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

  11. #3835
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18,941
    Thanks
    2,459
    Thanked 6,784 Times in 4,266 Posts
    We are in no position to trade a SP. I think some of you are forgetting how insanely lucky we got with SP health last year. It's very atypical, and you can probably expect to lose at least one of our SP to some serious injury time this season. God forbid it's Stro or Sanchez. We need to address OF, but trading a SP is not an option.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

    BigCecil (01-06-2017),BTS (01-06-2017),Chappy (01-06-2017),Ehjays (01-06-2017),Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

  13. #3836
    Big Leaguer reedjohnsonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,552
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 295 Times in 222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    We are in no position to trade a SP. I think some of you are forgetting how insanely lucky we got with SP health last year. It's very atypical, and you can probably expect to lose at least one of our SP to some serious injury time this season. God forbid it's Stro or Sanchez. We need to address OF, but trading a SP is not an option.
    Why should we expect that? It's a possibility sure, but which pitcher's do you think are particularly vulnerable to something really serious?

  14. #3837
    MVP gruber92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,194
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    If you're not looking to get anything back by dealing Estrada, then you can try go for it. He's a free agent after this season and as you pointed out, he's got some injury issues. At least with Happ there's an extra year of control and no health issues. By adding stuff with him as the main piece you can probably get something useful for him by selling high.
    True.. The fact that we're trying to figure out how to obtain an outfielder by giving up something useful is insane when there is a one year(possibly two) stop gap in Bautista available and we give up nothing. Jose will be fine if his playing time is split three ways between RF / 1B /DH. Fuck the draft pick when we have two others and are in a position to win. Shapiro is being a little to cute and this could backfire horribly.

  15. #3838
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,435
    Thanks
    3,593
    Thanked 12,651 Times in 7,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    Why should we expect that? It's a possibility sure, but which pitcher's do you think are particularly vulnerable to something really serious?
    Because it's incredibly rare for a team to go through an entire season without losing one of their top-5 starters to a long DL stint...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

  17. #3839
    DONOR BigCecil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    7,087
    Thanks
    2,137
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 1,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    We are in no position to trade a SP. I think some of you are forgetting how insanely lucky we got with SP health last year. It's very atypical, and you can probably expect to lose at least one of our SP to some serious injury time this season. God forbid it's Stro or Sanchez. We need to address OF, but trading a SP is not an option.
    ^This. The overall health and performance of the SP was a black swan event. If they repeat it great, but its not something we can count on.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

  19. #3840
    All Star SirBJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    3,502
    Thanks
    2,653
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    ^This. The overall health and performance of the SP was a black swan event. If they repeat it great, but its not something we can count on.
    Most teams on average use what? 8 SPs per year?
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •