Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 241 of 309 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,856 of 4929

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2016-17

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    If you're not looking to get anything back by dealing Estrada, then you can try go for it. He's a free agent after this season and as you pointed out, he's got some injury issues. At least with Happ there's an extra year of control and no health issues. By adding stuff with him as the main piece you can probably get something useful for him by selling high.
    True.. The fact that we're trying to figure out how to obtain an outfielder by giving up something useful is insane when there is a one year(possibly two) stop gap in Bautista available and we give up nothing. Jose will be fine if his playing time is split three ways between RF / 1B /DH. Fuck the draft pick when we have two others and are in a position to win. Shapiro is being a little to cute and this could backfire horribly.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,534 Times in 6,886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    Why should we expect that? It's a possibility sure, but which pitcher's do you think are particularly vulnerable to something really serious?
    Because it's incredibly rare for a team to go through an entire season without losing one of their top-5 starters to a long DL stint...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    We are in no position to trade a SP. I think some of you are forgetting how insanely lucky we got with SP health last year. It's very atypical, and you can probably expect to lose at least one of our SP to some serious injury time this season. God forbid it's Stro or Sanchez. We need to address OF, but trading a SP is not an option.
    ^This. The overall health and performance of the SP was a black swan event. If they repeat it great, but its not something we can count on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    ^This. The overall health and performance of the SP was a black swan event. If they repeat it great, but its not something we can count on.
    Most teams on average use what? 8 SPs per year?
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,180 Times in 3,904 Posts
    Why should we expect that? It's a possibility sure, but which pitcher's do you think are particularly vulnerable to something really serious?
    All of them, all the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,180 Times in 3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Most teams on average use what? 8 SPs per year?
    I thought it was closer to 10.

Thanks
    The ones with arms.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-ho...eam-need-then/

^ Fangraphs article from 2014 entitled So How Many Starters Does a Team Need, Then?

They seem to have concluded that a team's starting depth should be 9 deep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,534 Times in 6,886 Posts
    I thought it was closer to 10.
    Yeah, I think the average is about 10 exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    The ones with arms.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-ho...eam-need-then/

^ Fangraphs article from 2014 entitled So How Many Starters Does a Team Need, Then?
    Thanks that's useful. I was more asking about specifically the Jays' pitchers... none of their pitchers specifically jump out to me as a huge injury risk. Maybe Sanchez?

Thanks
    Thanks that's useful. I was more asking about specifically the Jays' pitchers... none of their pitchers specifically jump out to me as a huge injury risk. Maybe Sanchez?
    lol In all seriousness if he have a pitcher who's more of a threat to be injured this year than the rest, it's got to be Estrada and his back issues without a doubt. We could get into who's arm action might cause future problems and all that jazz but unfortunately Marco is already hurt so it's kind of a no brainer.

Thanks
    This has been the worst off season in recent memory for me. I don't care what moves have been made or not made, I'm happy we avoided EE and I'd like to say good bye to JB if we get a pick as well. It's frustrating because so many fans want instant gratification by big name spending when Toronto is in a poor position to do so.

What's your depth for an injury to Martin, or Tulo, or JD? It doesn't exist. We don't have starting pitching depth or 'pen depth of arms that aren't question marks because all the depth we did have was traded away between the Marlins, Dickey, Price and Tulo trades. Regardless of spending the money on a piece like Fowler or something else this team was an injury or two away from not contending regardless. It's not normal you only use 5-6 starting pitchers or don't lose strong position players for short term injuries.

A retool, if not a rebuild, is coming and people really do need to realize that.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,585 Posts
    We are in no position to trade a SP. I think some of you are forgetting how insanely lucky we got with SP health last year. It's very atypical, and you can probably expect to lose at least one of our SP to some serious injury time this season. God forbid it's Stro or Sanchez. We need to address OF, but trading a SP is not an option.
    I'd trade Estrada if we could sign Ross (both are probably equal injury risks next year, and Ross would be cheaper with extra years of control). Aside from that though, it would be hard to trade from our staff (especially Stroman or Sanchez).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 741 Posts
    Each pitcher we have with an arm is a huge injury risk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    This has been the worst off season in recent memory for me. I don't care what moves have been made or not made, I'm happy we avoided EE and I'd like to say good bye to JB if we get a pick as well. It's frustrating because so many fans want instant gratification by big name spending when Toronto is in a poor position to do so.

What's your depth for an injury to Martin, or Tulo, or JD? It doesn't exist. We don't have starting pitching depth or 'pen depth of arms that aren't question marks because all the depth we did have was traded away between the Marlins, Dickey, Price and Tulo trades. Regardless of spending the money on a piece like Fowler or something else this team was an injury or two away from not contending regardless. It's not normal you only use 5-6 starting pitchers or don't lose strong position players for short term injuries.

A retool, if not a rebuild, is coming and people really do need to realize that.
    Absolutely. The way AA built the team there was no chance of us becoming a sustainable winner who's going to contend year after year. Signing EE and Jose to extend a closing window would only hamper the team long term and prolong the suffering (for the outside chance we catch lightning in a bottle). This team is retooling - I thought that was blatantly obvious by now. That said, given the state of our rotation, with a little luck we still have a chance to make the playoffs this year...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post

Most team's just don't have that type of depth to replace the production of their 3 best players, let alone a league MVP. If they go down for an extended period of time (like a 60day DL) it's safe to say our season is probably in jeopardy just like most teams who suffer long term injuries to their best players. Some have fallback plans with MLB ready prospects (which in most cases are not guaranteed to be any more productive than replacement level bench players upon call up) but really, losing a Josh Donaldson or Russell Martin and you're probably not expected to make the postseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    Most team's just don't have that type of depth to replace the production of their 3 best players, let alone a league MVP. If they go down for an extended period of time (like a 60day DL) it's safe to say our season is probably in jeopardy just like most teams who suffer long term injuries to their best players. Some have fallback plans with MLB ready prospects (which in most cases are not guaranteed to be any more productive than replacement level bench players upon call up) but really, losing a Josh Donaldson or Russell Martin and you're probably not expected to make the postseason.
    We don't even have the depth to replace any of them for an extended period of time, which was how I broke the statement down. Outside of Barney and potentially Burns I don't know if we have an actual replacement level piece to play between SS, 2B, 3B, C.