MIN
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SD
    NYM
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade for Andrew McCutchen (NJH #7)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I'd be in favor of trading Donaldson now if we could get a return to help us this year. Something involving the Dodgers for Pederson and Urias for example (they wouldn't do it mind you, although apparently they are in on McCutchen), then sign Turner.
    Seems like one of those ideas that is great in theory but horrible in practice. Better to keep Donaldson and trade him next year if we are out of due to a crippling sequence of injuries in the starting rotation.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,698 Posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Nafro (12-04-2016),Spanky99 (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,026 Times in 1,467 Posts
    For the cost it would take, I'll pass. Rather sign a FA like Fowler and/or Bautista and save the prospects. I can't see this FO parting with the significant prospects it would take to land him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    For the cost it would take, I'll pass. Rather sign a FA like Fowler and/or Bautista and save the prospects. I can't see this FO parting with the significant prospects it would take to land him.
    Fowler is pricy as hell. Probably at the height of his stock. He's a nice fit, but 65mil+? Yikes. But yeah I'll take Joey Freaking Bats in LF over Fowler all day everyday. Especially with his poor communication in the CF that took out one of the Cubs better bats.

Thanks
    It does also depend on how Shatkins views these prospects since they're not Shatkins chosen prospects. Teams value people differently. I believe it was LA's GM who noted when dealing with a club about trading a vet that he said something along the lines that Tampa asked for the "right prospects" and not the "name prospects [ie the ones on top prospect lists] - and the deal didn't get done as a result.

I am sure they talk to every club on every player that could help them.

Maybe you look at Adam Eaton - younger controllable and good too. So the team no doubt weighs things like - hey if we're going to trade 3-4 of our top prospects do we want a guy who is financially cheaper for 5-6 years or a guy who costs more money for 2?

Or you look at older free agents like Fowler who if you have to go 5 years for a speed game guy at 33-35 - this is not so appealing. Is he a Tony Fernandez kind of bat at 37 and still able to make an all star team with his .427OBP. Or will he drop off in a big way.

I did like the article on the platoon advantages - rather than playing those guys who are streaky you can play the hot hand - so having a Pearce and another like player or a Fowler who is fairly consistent all year. Guys who don't strikeout - that can be useful when making an out. With an excellent rotation - and a bunch of above average bats - add some relief and it should be a contending club. If I were going to trade a lot of prospects I'd probably want at least 4 years of control coming back. Like a Josh Donaldson (and look what we gave up for that).

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,795 Times in 2,568 Posts
    Reports keep surfacing that Nationals and Pirates are discussing deals that would involve Victor Robles and a top pitching prospect going to Pittsburgh in exchange for McCutchen

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Reports keep surfacing that Nationals and Pirates are discussing deals that would involve Victor Robles and a top pitching prospect going to Pittsburgh in exchange for McCutchen
    Marte will move to CF and Meadows will take up left. I believe the consensus is that he's ready for the show?

Then, if this deal lands, Robles will be the heir to CF when they flip Marte. Never ending elite Pirates OF.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I for one hope they can pull it off !

Thanks
    While there's no doubt Andy Mc is a solid baseball athlete I would rather see Jays holding onto its prospects. I would rather see Jays going Ben Revere instead of Andy Mc and keep all the Jays prospects

It makes me feel sad everytime Thor puts together a quality outing while our oldfart gives up a HR in the 1st inning

Outfield

Pimpey - Pillar - Revere

Backup OFers - Sierra, Upton

DH Morales / Upton

PR - Upton

Sometimes, the best trade is "No trade at all"

Imagine, if Jays did not make Thor trade and David Price trade this team would have

Thor - Happ - Sanchez - Estrada - Norris as the starting rotation...!

And just because there is a big name FA does not mean or it is automatically a good idea for any team to sign him

I'm sure Red Sox organization wishes it did not have Panda on its roster.
    Last edited by snow19; 12-03-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 852 Posts
    I'm all for bringing Ruben Sierra too! Switch hitter with pop

Thanks
    I meant Careers but if Ruben Sierra is willing to come out of retirement sure Jays should let him have second stint with Jays

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snow19 View Post
    While there's no doubt Andy Mc is a solid baseball athlete I would rather see Jays holding onto its prospects. I would rather see Jays going Ben Revere instead of Andy Mc and keep all the Jays prospects

It makes me feel sad everytime Thor puts together a quality outing while our oldfart gives up a HR in the 1st inning

Outfield

Pimpey - Pillar - Revere

Backup OFers - Sierra, Upton

DH Morales / Upton

PR - Upton

Sometimes, the best trade is "No trade at all"

Imagine, if Jays did not make Thor trade and David Price trade this team would have

Thor - Happ - Sanchez - Estrada - Norris as the starting rotation...!

And just because there is a big name FA does not mean or it is automatically a good idea for any team to sign him

I'm sure Red Sox organization wishes it did not have Panda on its roster.
    you're trying too hard

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    I don't think we have what the Nationals have to offer. I hope we trade for him though. I think that's a game changer for next season. Best suggestion so far NJH.

Thanks
    I was lurking recently and saw that you had a thread about trading for Yasiel Puig. I only just glanced at the thread but I remember thinking "nice one NJH, I agree". I like that a little better than going after Cutch. I agree with the posters saying that this would be an AA move, and I think reminiscent of the Reyes and Tulo trades. Former stars who lost a bit of value and could return to form but actually maybe they won't because they're old. As cliche and arbitrary as it may seem, it's hard not to be worried about McCutchen having his worst season just as he passes the big 3-O. Combine that with the three-year decline in K% and baserunning numbers, and his stardom days could be over. That's not to say he couldn't be the 3-4 WAR player he's projected as for some years to come, but right now Pittsburgh will be marketing him as an MVP calibre player who just had one down year. His trade value has dropped but not significantly. If we're going to gamble, I'd rather it be on a younger player.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,062 Posts
    Can I propose a deal?

To Jays: Andrew McCutchen

To Pirates: Jose Quintana (who they apparently want)

To ChiSox: Anthony Alford, Sean Reid-Foley, Tyler Glasnow

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Can I propose a deal?

To Jays: Andrew McCutchen

To Pirates: Jose Quintana (who they apparently want)

To ChiSox: Anthony Alford, Sean Reid-Foley, Tyler Glasnow
    Interesting - although I suspect Pittsburgh could create a package based around Glasnow and a couple lesser prospects to land Quintana, while dealing McCutchen separately for a better haul.