Preview
    8:00 PM ET
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jose Bautista Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,029 Times in 5,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    holy fuck lol
    Steve Phillips said this on TSN yesterday about most AL teams and burned bridges/they don't like him, and NL teams don't see him as an OF'er anymore so little interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/blue-jays-are-out-...acion-1.623894

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,499 Posts
    Most Orioles fans would probably decide they like him just fine after a half season with a 380 OBP and 20 bombs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

leaffie (12-06-2016)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Would very much prefer Fowler.
    This might signal that Fowler is a no go and Joey might be the best/affordable option.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    I just wouldn't sign Jose Bautista, lol. If I was stuck with Bautista, I wouldn't put him in the outfield. If I absolutely had to play him in the outfield, it wouldn't be in right field, which is where he'll probably be playing if they sign him. That's what makes it such a non-ideal move for me. It's too much of a compromise defensively. None of this would be an issue if they hadn't signed Morales but they did and so now it's an issue.

In the event that they do sign Bautista and they do decide to give him the majority of his reps in the outfield, they almost have to grab a Cutch/Eaton/Fowler to make up for it on the other side of the field. You can't roll with another Bautista/Saunders-like clown fiesta for another year. Please.
    A poor defensive player can make up for his defense with his bat. Bautista is a damn good hitter, even in a down year. His defense alone isn't a good enough reason not to sign him because overall he's clearly a valuable player.

We are all dicks out for Fowler but I'd like to see some sort of statistical argument that makes him that much more appealing on a 4 year deal than Bautista on a 2 or 3. Seems like the projections think they will be pretty similar, only Bautista probably has more injury risk and Fowler requires more commitment.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (12-07-2016),intentional wok (12-06-2016),jaysblue (12-07-2016),leaffie (12-06-2016),Spanky99 (12-06-2016),Yorkshire Blue Jay (12-07-2016)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A poor defensive player can make up for his defense with his bat. Bautista is a damn good hitter, even in a down year. His defense alone isn't a good enough reason not to sign him because overall he's clearly a valuable player.

We are all dicks out for Fowler but I'd like to see some sort of statistical argument that makes him that much more appealing on a 4 year deal than Bautista on a 2 or 3. Seems like the projections think they will be pretty similar, only Bautista probably has more injury risk and Fowler requires more commitment.
    Just sign both.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to saskjayfan For This Useful Post:

intentional wok (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Fowler is younger, less injury prone, faster on the bases and plays better defense/arm. Jose has better power.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    Just sign both.
    I'd be game we need two corner OFers. Not sure we have the cash for that though.

Who knows maybe Fowler doesn't want to come to the Jays and is just using them to try and find a deal elsewhere. At that point it's not really an either-or scenario it becomes more about just Bautista.

Thanks
    I'm picturing Bautista with a O'Day just threw behind him face heading straight to Atkins' suite after that meeting with the O's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bronson44 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,161 Times in 4,561 Posts

Frankly, there isn't a very strong argument.

Dexter Fowler is quite overrated right now.

But there is an argument and it says that Toronto needs an outfielder, a leadoff hitter, and a guy to help from the left hand side of the plate and Dexter is all of those things.
    Also, Bautista is coming off a bad year at 36 and Dexter Fowler is coming off a very good year at 30 years old. The chance that Bautista is toast is real and Dexter is a pretty safe commodity. They'll get a similar AAV and Toronto has limited money so maybe best if they go the safer (younger) route.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

G-Snarls (12-06-2016),GeorgiaPeach (12-07-2016),Governator (12-06-2016),Spanky99 (12-06-2016),Terminator (12-06-2016),TwistedLogic (12-06-2016)

All Star
    Thanks
    I'd be game we need two corner OFers. Not sure we have the cash for that though.

Who knows maybe Fowler doesn't want to come to the Jays and is just using them to try and find a deal elsewhere. At that point it's not really an either-or scenario it becomes more about just Bautista.
    Yeah the fact that they are even circling back to Bautista tells me that they don't see Fowler signing with them. Getting the younger, better defensive player seems like a no brainer, but if it's not an option, then you have to go with the best of what's left. Joey might be it.

But yeah, seeing him in RF again would be painful.

Banned
    Thanks

This is great news!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    Gonna be honest, I really don't like this after the Pearce/Morales signings. Kinda smells like another full-time outfield gig for Jose. The only way I'd feel good about this is if Bautista somehow agreed to becoming the primary first baseman.

JB belongs with the Jays and back in the OF. Preferring him at 1B makes no sense. We need his bat and his presence. Huge Bautista fan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bronson44 View Post
    I'm picturing Bautista with a O'Day just threw behind him face heading straight to Atkins' suite after that meeting with the O's.
    lol

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Steve Phillips said this on TSN yesterday about most AL teams and burned bridges/they don't like him, and NL teams don't see him as an OF'er anymore so little interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/blue-jays-are-out-...acion-1.623894
    I really don't think teams are so unanimous in their supposed hatred of him personally that they wouldn't be falling all,over themselves trying to sign him if he had just had a good year.

It's probably just a convenient narrative
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I really don't think teams are so unanimous in their supposed hatred of him personally that they wouldn't be falling all,over themselves trying to sign him if he had just had a good year.

It's probably just a convenient narrative
    Yeah, possibly. I didn't think that kind of shit mattered at all... I was kind of taken back when he said it.

Banned
    Thanks

Amen to that. Fowler is overrated. Pearce in LF, Bautista in RF, EE at 1B. The additions of Pearce and Morales are more than enough additions to the lineup, provided EE returns

Thanks
    Thanked 4,870 Times in 2,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Driveof85 View Post
    Amen to that. Fowler is overrated. Pearce in LF, Bautista in RF, EE at 1B. The additions of Pearce and Morales are more than enough additions to the lineup, provided EE returns
    The odds of EE returning are probably 1%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.