SEA
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jose Bautista Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I wonder if they regret signing Morales so early at this point.
    Hindsight is 20 20. You don't sign him and wait on EE and he gets his 5 year deal and someone comes and signs Morales and your left holding your dick. Not many people thought EE would have a tough time getting a good suitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 932 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    Hindsight is 20 20. You don't sign him and wait on EE and he gets his 5 year deal and someone comes and signs Morales and your left holding your dick. Not many people thought EE would have a tough time getting a good suitor.
    Yep I agree but the industry consensus at the time was that we signed him for a year too long and it had pretty tepid support on this board. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it was a little bit puzzling and with hindsight that one looks like a mistake.

Thanks
    I wonder if they regret signing Morales so early at this point.
    I think they may have jumped the gun a bit on the Morales signing, but i'm sure they thought the demand for EE/JB would be bigger than what is happening right now. Although 3/33 for Morales isn't bad, a 2 year deal would look better.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,079 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I really don't think we had any intention of signing either guy. In Bautista's case I really think it's a no-brainer. You'd rather have Bautista for just 1 year right? But then how does it make sense to give up the comp pick for just 1 year of him? It would make more sense to give up the comp pick for 3 years of him but you don't want him for 3 years!

Eddie is more complicated because you would give up the comp pick for something like 3/60M.

But if the suitors for Jose and Eddie start to become those with protected picks then you have to try to sign them.

I think the allure of the comp picks is being understated on this forum. This FO has cried about the farm system since the moment they got here. The comp picks are like adding 2 top 10 org prospects for free.

Doesn't matter who signs him, their comp pick will be sandwiched after round 1 in the draft regardless of what round the suitor has to give up.

Honestly, I'd be all for Jose @ $17MM with 2 team option years of $17MM per with a buy out. As long as he stays productive he'll still make his $51MM over 3 years and I'm sure the Jays would be quite happy having control over him if they aren't guaranteeing him the money. They won't be able to move him because of 10/5 rights but having the option to make it a 1, 2 or 3 deal based on his performance would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Well if Jose wants a 2 year deal why don't we give him that then? Honestly I would prefer the 2 year deal since like some of you said the comp pick value isn't just for 1 year.

There has to be something else about the FO relationship that we don't know about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 882 Posts
    Yep I agree but the industry consensus at the time was that we signed him for a year too long and it had pretty tepid support on this board. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time it was a little bit puzzling and with hindsight that one looks like a mistake.
    I do think they went a year to long but i also believe at the end of this contract its not going to look like a huge mistake either. I think he will average 1.5-2WAR per year. I also think that EE or his agent didn't give much thought to their 4 year offer and the jays saw it as he really didn't want to come back considering they were not going any higher. I think it would have been a huge risk to wait on EE and one i don't think many people would take.

All Star
    Thanks
    Probably a combination of a mutual dislike between the FO/Jose, and the FO thinking they could replace Jose's wins for less money and keep a draft pick on top of that. Of course, if no other team signs Bautista, then things become dicey because the pick becomes pointless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    The Morales deal is the worst move that Shapiro has made and several people said much at the time. It's not smart to pounce on a second tier option so early in the offseason, even if the deal turns out alright in a bubble.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    I really don't think this FO would jettison a player because of "dislike". I don't even think they could conjure up emotions like "dislike", let alone let it fuel their decision making.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-14-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Well if Jose wants a 2 year deal why don't we give him that then? Honestly I would prefer the 2 year deal since like some of you said the comp pick value isn't just for 1 year.

There has to be something else about the FO relationship that we don't know about.
    If the comp pick is valued at $10M, then full market value for Jose is probably 2 years $30M (assuming he could give us 4.5 WAR in 2 years). I'd probably do that....as long as the "other" OF we get is strong defensively (Dyson or Puig please)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    The Morales deal is the worst move that Shapiro has made and several people said much at the time. It's not smart to pounce on a second tier option so early in the offseason, even if the deal turns out alright in a bubble.
    I could point out the Smoak extension and completely derail your point.....but I still disagree with your overall premise as it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,378 Posts
    No it isn't. Smoak extension was way more terrible at the time as was the Chavez for Hendriks trade (Which looks even worse now)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I could point out the Smoak extension and completely derail your point.....but I still disagree with your overall premise as it is.
    I think that the Morales mistake will cost us more wins than the Smoak extension.

Thanks
    I think that the Morales mistake will cost us more wins than the Smoak extension.
    Can you elaborate on why you think it's a mistake?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,079 Posts
    Morales was signed to do 1 thing, hit the ball which he should be capable of doing quite well. Smoak was signed because he got hot that one month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Governator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-14-2016)