NYY
    Preview
    9:10 PM ET
Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,056 of 1121

Thread: The Jose Bautista Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    If the Blue Jays are out of it and selling everyone off then he probably wouldn't mind going to a contender either. Other scenario is the Blue Jays are good and he helps the team try to get to the playoffs.
    With the second wildcard we'd have to be epically bad (unlikely without injuries to one or more of the pitchers + a position player like Donaldson/Martin) to be selling everyone. A .500 team still has a good chance of a wildcard.

I do think that if we are around .500 we'd shop Estrada, and if Gurriel / Urena is considered ready, maybe we'd shop Tulo too. I seriously doubt we'll be entering full rebuild mode though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I know it doesn't...but logically, 10-5 rights really shouldn't apply as he's technically a free agent now and has no affiliation with the Blue Jays. Why should the clock continue? I understand if he signed an extension before his contract expired, hence continuous service time with the team...but realistically, if he's not under contract with the team, why does the clock continue?
    This is the phrasing: The contract of a Player with ten or more years of Major League service, the last five of which have been with one Club, shall not be assignable to another Major League Club without the Player’s written consent...

So it's whoever you played for over the last five years. Yes Bautista's contract is up at the moment but unless he plays for a different team in between his Blue Jays contracts, it's all moot. The phrasing is the way it is presumably because that's what the player's union wanted and ultimately obtained. MLB would have a fight on your hand if you tried to change something that's so established now.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    It feels more and more like he is going to sit until the summer. He seems to proud to accept the QO and T.O doesn't seem like they want to move off that. They can get someone else to play decent RF defense. The line has been drawn?

All Star
    Thanks
    At age 36? I doubt he'd sit out. Does he expect teams to give him more money at age 37 next year after sitting out half the season? He might as well take the best multi year deal he can get and just accept it. Or take the best one year deal he can get and go back on the market next year with a full season under his belt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,567 Posts
    Good read:

Thanks
    What happens if Joey Bats goes to the KBO?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    I think a 1-year deal still makes sense if Bautista helps this team win/compete/contend for 2017.

Having an extra pick would be really nice, but there are still enough pieces here to make a run in 2017.

I am not in favour of a recklessly trying to improve this team for 2017 for the sake of appearances, but I don't think the team should outright dismiss a 1-year deal just because of the pick. If we need that pick so badly, we should probably just blow the whole thing up.

That said, entertaining a 1-year deal for Bautista is contingent on the idea that he is healthy and able to bounce back. It continues to seem that the FO does not believe this to be the case, or there's some other negative factor about him that outweighs whatever value he brings to the field.

Yes, it's not as if they don't already have their own 1st round pick + the comp. pick for EE. Giving up the 2nd comp. pick by signing JB, who is in real danger of being frozen out of the market altogether anyway, is a reasonable trade-off for adding a 3 WAR player to a team that is still in a window to compete now. Also, if it is only a short term deal, there is an advantage in not having much money committed, in the event he does continue to decline.

I think you are right that they are more concerned about his physical state OR mental state / attitude. Remember the comments by Gibbons in an interview where he said the big turning point for the team was bringing in Martin and Donaldson in 2015 - tough guys with a real will to compete and win. That seemed like an indirect shot at JB, EE, etc. So it may be not only the FO, but also Gibbons who are not too thrilled with JB and may see him as a clubhouse/dugout problem that subtracts from the overall effort, despite his ability to produce at the plate. Also there is his bad relations with the umpires and opponents that greatly affects the team's reputation as a whole. Bottom line: the intangibles that the stats guys can not quantify are likely playing a big role here.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wk680 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (01-09-2017),Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchsoup View Post
    Hell freezes over.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Ehjays (01-10-2017),intentional wok (01-09-2017),Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,911 Times in 7,116 Posts
    I don't really believe that Bautista is running any risk of sitting out until June. Some team with either a protected 1st, or a 1st that's already been forfeited, is going to bite at at least 1/15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Stangstag (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchsoup View Post
    Zeke Carrera gets 500 AB's for the Jays

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Grant77 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Good read:

Yeah good read. A good survey of the current landscape. One thing I hadn't considered before is owners becoming less meddlesome. We've definitely heard stories in the past about splashy owners playing a factor in contracts (Arte Moreno, Tom Hicks, Mike Ilitch, etc.). I wish the article had speculated a bit about why that's changed. Simply learning from past mistakes? Turnover in the owner's group changing the overall dynamic? Front offices learning doing a better job of communicating with owners in such a way to protect them from their worst instincts? I suppose all that could play a role.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really believe that Bautista is running any risk of sitting out until June. Some team with either a protected 1st, or a 1st that's already been forfeited, is going to bite at at least 1/15.
    My money is on Oakland. They offered a two year deal to Edwin. They could get Bautista cheaper with the same term probably.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Stangstag (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    My money is on Oakland. They offered a two year deal to Edwin. They could get Bautista cheaper with the same term probably.
    Is there a least inviting place to play in MLB than Oakland Co.?

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    No one is signing in Oakland unless they really have to.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,408 Times in 5,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Good read:

Decent read, thing is I've now read similar articles from Heyman/Rosenthal/ Fangraphs and another MLB writer(can't remember?)... these boys are late to the party, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,408 Times in 5,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Hell freezes over.
    Hahahaha... awesome!