• NYM 0
    STL 0
    In Progress
    Top 2nd
  • CIN 0
    ARI 0
    Warmup
    12:35 PM ET
  • PIT 0
    MIL 0
    Warmup
    12:35 PM ET
  • BOS 0
    TOR 0
    Pre-Game
    1:35 PM ET
  • BAL
    TEX
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • KC
    DET
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • LAD
    ATL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SEA
    NYY
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SF
    SD
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,057 to 1,072 of 1121

Thread: The Jose Bautista Thread

  1. #1057
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,309
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    With the second wildcard we'd have to be epically bad (unlikely without injuries to one or more of the pitchers + a position player like Donaldson/Martin) to be selling everyone. A .500 team still has a good chance of a wildcard.

    I do think that if we are around .500 we'd shop Estrada, and if Gurriel / Urena is considered ready, maybe we'd shop Tulo too. I seriously doubt we'll be entering full rebuild mode though.
    I doubt Tulo gets shopped, he's got a full NTC and I think he'd be one of the last guys to be traded if they're out of it. I think they sell if they're more than 3 GB of the wildcard. Lots of pieces would be moved.

    Estrada, Happ, Liriano, Grilli, Upton, Pearce, Donaldson would likely all be moved.

  2. #1058
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 399 Times in 262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    I doubt Tulo gets shopped, he's got a full NTC and I think he'd be one of the last guys to be traded if they're out of it. I think they sell if they're more than 3 GB of the wildcard. Lots of pieces would be moved.

    Estrada, Happ, Liriano, Grilli, Upton, Pearce, Donaldson would likely all be moved.
    Sorry, I maybe misunderstanding you, but are to trying to suggest Donaldson gets traded if at the deadline we are more than 3 games out of a wildcard place?

    3 games is nothing, that can be caught up in less than a week.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

  4. #1059
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,309
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Sorry, I maybe misunderstanding you, but are to trying to suggest Donaldson gets traded if at the deadline we are more than 3 games out of a wildcard place?

    3 games is nothing, that can be caught up in less than a week.
    I think the FO would certainly listen. If there are say 3 team between the Jays and the 2nd place wildcard then a 4 Game lead is quite a bit. Obviously a bunch of factors go into it like injuries up until that point and what teams are offering in return but trading JD makes sense if you aren't going to sign him long term.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

    Bobthe4th (01-09-2017)

  6. #1060
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 399 Times in 262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    I think the FO would certainly listen. If there are say 3 team between the Jays and the 2nd place wildcard then a 4 Game lead is quite a bit. Obviously a bunch of factors go into it like injuries up until that point and what teams are offering in return but trading JD makes sense if you aren't going to sign him long term.
    Thanks, that's much more reasonable.

    Hopefully it won't be an issue anyway, and we'll be right in the mix for the playoffs.

  7. #1061
    All Star Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,939
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked 902 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Sorry, I maybe misunderstanding you, but are to trying to suggest Donaldson gets traded if at the deadline we are more than 3 games out of a wildcard place?

    3 games is nothing, that can be caught up in less than a week.
    The Jays are a team in decline with aging vets. If they have 3/4 teams ahead of them at the deadline, hard to see how retaining JD makes sense, by the time Jays have reloaded JD will be what, 35/36?

    I find it hard to see the Jays as WS contenders in 2017, the competition is just so much stronger.

  8. #1062
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,161
    Thanks
    2,025
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    The Jays are a team in decline with aging vets. If they have 3/4 teams ahead of them at the deadline, hard to see how retaining JD makes sense, by the time Jays have reloaded JD will be what, 35/36?

    I find it hard to see the Jays as WS contenders in 2017, the competition is just so much stronger.
    It didn't have to be this way. With an aggressive offseason the Jays would have out positioned everyone in the division (other than the Red Sox) for at least next season and possibly the next two. I have no idea what the FO is doing right now. Seems like they are playing both sides of the coin. They don't want to go all-in but at the same time they are locking up 34 year olds to multi-year deals. It's been a frustrating offseason to say the least. Here's to hoping they can pull a rabbit out of their hat before it's over.

  9. #1063
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,682
    Thanks
    1,159
    Thanked 8,410 Times in 4,680 Posts
    I wouldn't take Bautista back if he paid us!

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

    Ehjays (01-10-2017),Krylian (01-10-2017),Nafro (01-10-2017)

  11. #1064
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 118 Times in 75 Posts
    I found it funny that the only team that Matt Holliday had on his NTC when he signed with the Yanks was Oakland. Guess he likes having free soda.

    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really believe that Bautista is running any risk of sitting out until June. Some team with either a protected 1st, or a 1st that's already been forfeited, is going to bite at at least 1/15.
    I think I might riot if we don't get Bautista for 1/15. Bautista at his best is worth more than a 30-something overall draft pick. Theres no reason we shouldn't get Bautista on a 1 year + 1 team option deal at this point

  12. #1065
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Shakespeare, ON
    Posts
    2,034
    Thanks
    1,181
    Thanked 452 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I found it funny that the only team that Matt Holliday had on his NTC when he signed with the Yanks was Oakland. Guess he likes having free soda.



    I think I might riot if we don't get Bautista for 1/15. Bautista at his best is worth more than a 30-something overall draft pick. Theres no reason we shouldn't get Bautista on a 1 year + 1 team option deal at this point
    So let me get this straight. You would rather pay Bautista 15 million to put up numbers likely somewhere between last year and 2015. (His strikeouts will go up).? If he plays the outfield, he's going to cost you 5-15 Runs? You would rather do that, then pay someone less money, to provide the same value. Oh and you wouldn't want Thor or Aaron Sanchez? Both were sandwich round picks.

    That being said, I would probably sign Bautista for 1-15, if he plays at least half the game's at DH, with Morales playing first.

  13. #1066
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20,988
    Thanks
    1,967
    Thanked 7,540 Times in 4,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafro View Post
    So let me get this straight. You would rather pay Bautista 15 million to put up numbers likely somewhere between last year and 2015. (His strikeouts will go up).? If he plays the outfield, he's going to cost you 5-15 Runs? You would rather do that, then pay someone less money, to provide the same value. Oh and you wouldn't want Thor or Aaron Sanchez? Both were sandwich round picks.

    That being said, I would probably sign Bautista for 1-15, if he plays at least half the game's at DH, with Morales playing first.
    Are you trolling? I can't tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

  14. #1067
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked 944 Times in 630 Posts
    Losing a pick for a one year player, especially when you can't recoup that pick next year due to the CBA change, is pretty significant. Unless Bautista is signing for Nelson Cruz 2014 money on a one year deal (factoring for inflation), which his ego won't allow him to, I'm not that interested. If it's one year + a team option or two, then we're talking.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

    Krylian (01-10-2017)

  16. #1068
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20,988
    Thanks
    1,967
    Thanked 7,540 Times in 4,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Losing a pick for a one year player, especially when you can't recoup that pick next year due to the CBA change, is pretty significant. Unless Bautista is signing for Nelson Cruz 2014 money on a one year deal (factoring for inflation), which his ego won't allow him to, I'm not that interested. If it's one year + a team option or two, then we're talking.
    Where this team is right now, I'd rather have Bautista than a pick that has likely a 90% chance of amounting to nothing. I'd feel differently if there were other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

    Bobthe4th (01-10-2017),CHRIS (01-10-2017),Spanky99 (01-10-2017)

  18. #1069
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,309
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Losing a pick for a one year player, especially when you can't recoup that pick next year due to the CBA change, is pretty significant. Unless Bautista is signing for Nelson Cruz 2014 money on a one year deal (factoring for inflation), which his ego won't allow him to, I'm not that interested. If it's one year + a team option or two, then we're talking.
    I'd rather have Bautista than any of the FA options left and it isn't even close. Even with crap defense a 3-4 Win season isn't unrealistic. Funny how no one cared about the pick when talking about Edwin while also giving him $80 Million.

  19. #1070
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,369
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked 944 Times in 630 Posts
    I can see both sides. Jose could put up a 3 WAR season and help the Jays possibly get to the playoff picture again, so there's definitely value in that. I just think with the value of the pick being what it is that it makes more sense to go for a longer term, but then again, the longer term is less desirable for the team because of his age. That's why tacking on a team option would be the deal breaker for me. If it's a straight one year deal, and the cost is $17mm plus whatever you want to value the comp pick at ($8-10mm), that's a pretty sizable investment for a 36 year old with no D value.

  20. #1071
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,349
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    I'd rather have Bautista than any of the FA options left and it isn't even close. Even with crap defense a 3-4 Win season isn't unrealistic. Funny how no one cared about the pick when talking about Edwin while also giving him $80 Million.
    Eddie is likeable.

  21. #1072
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    25,124
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Eddie is likeable.
    And, more importanly, a more reliable bat

    (Edwin's wRC+ has been better than Bautista's from 2014-2016)

    And 3-4 years younger
    Last edited by G-Snarls; 01-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •