Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Indians sign Encarnacion

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    if true, it reinforces that the Jays FO just didn't want anything to do with them. It really is perplexing.
    I don't think it's that perplexing at all. You look at the number of times throughout last season where the real leaders of the Team (Donaldson, Tulo, Martin) were subtly expressing concern for "some" players attitudes. Eddie plays for himself, whether the fans love him or not. One of the "clubhouse problems" was Eddie not caring if the team won or lost. Guys like Tulo and Martin have reached the pinnacle before, and they clearly wanted to do it again - it's obvious JD wants to. It must piss them off seeing guys who are great, but who don't care for the Team.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Lees Barber View Post
    I don't think it's that perplexing at all. You look at the number of times throughout last season where the real leaders of the Team (Donaldson, Tulo, Martin) were subtly expressing concern for "some" players attitudes. Eddie plays for himself, whether the fans love him or not. One of the "clubhouse problems" was Eddie not caring if the team won or lost. Guys like Tulo and Martin have reached the pinnacle before, and they clearly wanted to do it again - it's obvious JD wants to. It must piss them off seeing guys who are great, but who don't care for the Team.
    This is troll bait. Everyone ignore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    They must be predicting a big decline. Only thing that really makes sense.
    It is really weird. But if they are predicting a big decline why offer 4 for 80 to begin with?

None of this makes sense. I guess they just viewed the Morales and Pearce signings as having no room for Edwin? Edwin could play 100 games at 1B and Pearce could just play LF full time though couldn't he?

Perhaps that rumor just isn't true.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ICECOLDBEER View Post
    Screw Edwin. He's a weed smoking degenerate rapist. I hope he totally shits the bed in Cleveland.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

P2F (12-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,417 Times in 2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    It is really weird. But if they are predicting a big decline why offer 4 for 80 to begin with?

None of this makes sense. I guess they just viewed the Morales and Pearce signings as having no room for Edwin? Edwin could play 100 games at 1B and Pearce could just play LF full time though couldn't he?

I think they offered EE 4/80 knowing he likely wouldn't accept it at the time. It makes them look good to the fans that they tried and made a competitive offer.

"Win the crowd win your freedom."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Governator For This Useful Post:

Terminator (12-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,621 Posts

Yeah, what would they have done if EE accepted the original 4/80? Psyched him out and pulled it off the table? Clearly they were interested in his services and didn't think he'd hit anything close to a wall yet. And, though I'm not in the know whatsoever, I doubt it's standard practice to play chicken with 80 million dollars.

If it's true that EE went back to the team and got turned away for a lesser deal than the one he just signed for, then that's a big thumbs down for the FO from me. No way is a Pearce/Morales/Smoak arrangement worth passing up EE. They'd be saying 'no' to a big upgrade to maintain the commitment to a slightly above average set-up. Cut Smoak, stick Pearce in left, let EE mash for a couple more years.
    Last edited by intentional wok; 12-23-2016 at 03:38 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intentional wok For This Useful Post:

L54 (12-23-2016),Terminator (12-23-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by intentional wok View Post
    If it's true that EE went back to the team and got turned away for a lesser deal than the one he just signed for, then that's a big thumbs down for the FO from me. No way is a Pearce/Morales/Smoak arrangement worth passing up EE. They'd be saying 'no' to a big upgrade to maintain the commitment to a slightly above average set-up. Cut Smoak, stick Pearce in left, let EE mash for a couple more years.
    Yeah that defensive setup isn't ideal but that's what happens when you sign strict DHs like Morales. Edwin is passable enough at 1B, Pearce is passable enough in LF, and let Morales spell EE at 1B for 50-60 games. It'd work fine for this season. They could make a deal after the year to figure something else out.

Thanks
    Really brings your parenting skills into question, if true
    It's 'complicated'. The boy was born and lived first 2 years of his life in MA. So he decided the Sox were his team when he started following MLB, which was after we had long since moved to Indiana (where there is no home team to cheer for). But rest assured, the Jays run a close second for him.

As far as Pedroia, he may be an irritating little pr**k, when he is on the opposing team, but you can't deny his hustle and is a down to Earth guy who really did sign for a very team friendly long term extension because staying in Boston was priority number 1. EE was just talk where that is concerned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wk680 For This Useful Post:

Manny Lees Barber (12-23-2016)

Thanks
    Edwin was one of the best value free agents I've seen out there in a while. He also wanted to be a Blue Jay for life. This one stings.. O sweet we get a draft pick(more pool money, could get multiple players) in the low 30's that will maybe help us in 2018?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Yeah that defensive setup isn't ideal but that's what happens when you sign strict DHs like Morales. Edwin is passable enough at 1B, Pearce is passable enough in LF, and let Morales spell EE at 1B for 50-60 games. It'd work fine for this season. They could make a deal after the year to figure something else out.
    FWIW I'm skeptical that EE showed up with his tail between his legs anyway.

Though, on the other hand, there's that thing about him not accepting a huge Oakland deal. So who knows. EE certainly did not come out on top, though. Perhaps the Indians like him enough in three years to spend $15M more with the year-4 option, but he'd have had that guaranteed already with Toronto.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,931 Times in 6,542 Posts
    They must be predicting a big decline. Only thing that really makes sense.
    The investment is in line with what you'd expect to see if a team believes he's going to give them 8-9 wins over the next three years. It seems clear that the team isn't expecting him to be that good. There were signs of decline in 2016, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. If Edwin is a 120 wRC+ guy now, they look good for passing. If he's back to 150 it's pretty questionable.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 10,931 Times in 6,542 Posts
    Yeah, what would they have done if EE accepted the original 4/80? Psyched him out and pulled it off the table? Clearly they were interested in his services and didn't think he'd hit anything close to a wall yet. And, though I'm not in the know whatsoever, I doubt it's standard practice to play chicken with 80 million dollars.

We still don't actually know for sure, as far as I can tell, that a firm 4/80 was ever on the table. Reports said it was around that much, but for all we know it was a 2/40 guarantee with a couple of 20M team options tacked on. With everything that's happened I'd be mildly surprised if a guaranteed 4/80 was offered.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 4,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I think they offered EE 4/80 knowing he likely wouldn't accept it at the time. It makes them look good to the fans that they tried and made a competitive offer.

"Win the crowd win your freedom."
    Samesies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Holy shit, I'm dumn.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 4,157 Posts

I think it's easy to look at steamer and say "the Jays should do this and that" but if Shatkins and co. are seeing a big drop off coming for Edwin, why commit that money to him?

I'm gonna give them a little leeway here. I have been an Edwin fan since before it was cool, and I'm sad to see him go. Being said, I wouldn't want to be locked in to a sub 2 WAR player for 4 years. Shatkins have made a perplexing decision already with the Smoak deal but they've been excellent outside of that. They've invested in their high performance department. I'm confident that they have enough information to make a move that is best for the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Holy shit, I'm dumn.

Prospect
    Thanks
    I think it's easy to look at steamer and say "the Jays should do this and that" but if Shatkins and co. are seeing a big drop off coming for Edwin, why commit that money to him?

I'm gonna give them a little leeway here. I have been an Edwin fan since before it was cool, and I'm sad to see him go. Being said, I wouldn't want to be locked in to a sub 2 WAR player for 4 years. Shatkins have made a perplexing decision already with the Smoak deal but they've been excellent outside of that. They've invested in their high performance department. I'm confident that they have enough information to make a move that is best for the team.
    Given their original contract offer, it doesn't really seem like they expecting a big decline. They just misplayed the market, there's really no denying that.

Now whether the team is better or not as a result is a whole other question