• MIL 9
    ARI 2
    Final
    1:10 PM ET
  • MIN 1
    DET 4
    Final
    1:10 PM ET
  • STL 2
    KC 5
    Final
    1:15 PM ET
  • HOU 4
    SF 1
    Final
    2:10 PM ET
  • WSH 1
    SD 3
    Final
    4:05 PM ET
  • PHI 4
    ATL 0
    Final
    7:05 PM ET
  • TEX 12
    NYY 10
    Game Over
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR 3
    LAA 5
    In Progress
    Top 9th
  • CIN 4
    PIT 4
    In Progress
    Top 10th
  • TB 1
    BOS 4
    Game Over
    7:10 PM ET
  • NYM 1
    MIA 2
    Game Over
    7:10 PM ET
  • CHC 0
    CLE 1
    In Progress
    Bottom 8th
  • CWS 9
    BAL 1
    In Progress
    Top 7th
  • OAK 0
    SEA 0
    In Progress
    Bottom 2nd
  • LAD 0
    COL 0
    In Progress
    Top 2nd
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 52

Thread: Locking up young Blue Jays

  1. #1
    Just Drafted CanuckofChicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 5 Posts

    Locking up young Blue Jays

    Hey everyone.

    I usually lurk around this board and find sometimes very interesting debates, plus living in the states I usually come here for my Blue Jay news.

    Anyway, I was listening to MLB Network radio this morning and they were talking about which young players would us fans like to see lock up early either as cost-certainty or as possible future trade chips, so I thought I would take this question to the board and see what their thoughts were.

    In my opinion, since we do not have alot of younger players right now, I would probably focus on Sanchez and Travis if they can repeat and/or improve on 2015.

  2. #2
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,110
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckofChicago View Post
    Hey everyone.

    I usually lurk around this board and find sometimes very interesting debates, plus living in the states I usually come here for my Blue Jay news.

    Anyway, I was listening to MLB Network radio this morning and they were talking about which young players would us fans like to see lock up early either as cost-certainty or as possible future trade chips, so I thought I would take this question to the board and see what their thoughts were.

    In my opinion, since we do not have alot of younger players right now, I would probably focus on Sanchez and Travis if they can repeat and/or improve on 2015.
    No question some of the salary room opened up should be used to buy some FA years - Stroman and a few others.

  3. #3
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,835
    Thanks
    3,984
    Thanked 13,826 Times in 8,196 Posts
    I don't really see a candidate for a long-term extension at this point. Not really into a long-term commitment to Sanchez (or Stroman for that matter) with 4 years of team control left. Pitching is too scary. I don't really see the urgency to commit to Travis before we know what he his. Big questions about his health and about how good he really is.

    People have thrown Pillar around as a candidate, but we already control his age 28-31 seasons. I don't think I want to commit to his age-32 season, 5 years in the future, when he can't hit and relies almost exclusively on his legs. Defense doesn't pay in arb anyway.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (12-30-2016),GD (12-30-2016),Spanky99 (12-30-2016),spats (12-31-2016),WryNGinger (12-30-2016)

  5. #4
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,110
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really see a candidate for a long-term extension at this point. Not really into a long-term commitment to Sanchez (or Stroman for that matter) with 4 years of team control left. Pitching is too scary. I don't really see the urgency to commit to Travis before we know what he his. Big questions about his health and about how good he really is.

    People have thrown Pillar around as a candidate, but we already control his age 28-31 seasons. I don't think I want to commit to his age-32 season, 5 years in the future, when he can't hit and relies almost exclusively on his legs. Defense doesn't pay in arb anyway.
    Yes, it's a bit early, mid season 2017 the conversation could start with Stro provided he continues to pitch well and no health concerns.

  6. #5
    Blue Chip Prospect TBJ12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 211 Times in 163 Posts
    Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis and even Biagini could all be extension candidates.

  7. #6
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4,700
    Thanks
    1,631
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really see a candidate for a long-term extension at this point. Not really into a long-term commitment to Sanchez (or Stroman for that matter) with 4 years of team control left. Pitching is too scary. I don't really see the urgency to commit to Travis before we know what he his. Big questions about his health and about how good he really is.

    People have thrown Pillar around as a candidate, but we already control his age 28-31 seasons. I don't think I want to commit to his age-32 season, 5 years in the future, when he can't hit and relies almost exclusively on his legs. Defense doesn't pay in arb anyway.
    Well said, I don't see any rush for the Jays to hand out extensions at the present time.

  8. #7
    MVP jaysblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,641
    Thanks
    1,703
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,112 Posts
    I don't see the Jays being in a rush to lock anyone up right at this moment. Perhaps after 2017 you'll start hearing conversations about Stroman, Sanchez, Travis and Osuna depending on the years they have.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    12,766
    Thanks
    997
    Thanked 6,241 Times in 3,565 Posts
    I like team friendly extensions for hitters. Better be a really good extension for a pitcher. So no real great candidates for the Jays
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  10. #9
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,110
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Well said, I don't see any rush for the Jays to hand out extensions at the present time.
    Stro a free agent after 2020. By mid 2017 the conversation could start, a 4 yrs @ $12M/yr with two club option years for $14M and $16M... just spitballing the numbers

  11. #10
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    They already did the best "extension" type of contract you could ever want. Locking up the Cuban kid. I'd rather the team spend $21M over 7 years to try to catch lightning in a bottle from him than extending anyone on the current roster for that long. I hate to say it, but the guys who the Jays have for 3+ years all look like pretty good candidates for injury risk or decline 5 years out. No point in extending any of them. Sanchez would be the best candidate imo and I'm not exactly convinced he wouldn't Ricky Romero that contract.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

    spats (12-31-2016)

  13. #11
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis and even Biagini could all be extension candidates.
    Ok, now you're just drunk.

  14. #12
    Big Leaguer Maahfaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    3,356
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked 703 Times in 503 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    They already did the best "extension" type of contract you could ever want. Locking up the Cuban kid. I'd rather the team spend $21M over 7 years to try to catch lightning in a bottle from him than extending anyone on the current roster for that long. I hate to say it, but the guys who the Jays have for 3+ years all look like pretty good candidates for injury risk or decline 5 years out. No point in extending any of them. Sanchez would be the best candidate imo and I'm not exactly convinced he wouldn't Ricky Romero that contract.
    I wouldn't extend Sanchez, he's been great but someone who relies exclusively on his fastball to pitch is at a greater risk to turn to shit than someone who knows how to pitch (ie Estrada)
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  15. #13
    All Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,471
    Thanks
    495
    Thanked 250 Times in 186 Posts
    To me, it makes a lot of sense to extend Stroman and Sanchez now, pre-arb they are much more willing to accept pennies where if you wait for arbitration, they already have a strong idea of how much they can make and are using those figures as the floor.
    Only way to get a massive discount is pre-arb IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastjaysfan View Post
    Do NOT bunt him to 2nd base

  16. #14
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    9,110
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    I wouldn't extend Sanchez, he's been great but someone who relies exclusively on his fastball to pitch is at a greater risk to turn to shit than someone who knows how to pitch (ie Estrada)
    Yes that's why i mentioned Stro but not Sanchez, or Osuna.

    Travis needs to show he's not made of glass before considering an extension for him.

  17. #15
    MVP The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    7,696
    Thanks
    1,685
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,539 Posts
    Travis. Even though he hasn't been healthy yet now would be the time to get him on a cheap contract using his injury history as a bargaining chip. if he's healthy this year and has hit like he has so far in his MLB career his price is only going to go up.

  18. #16
    All Star L54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,024
    Thanks
    731
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,093 Posts
    No need to extend Stroman or Sanchez unless it looks like Quintana's deal. Travis might never be healthy for an entire year and extending closers with lots of team control and TJS is a no no.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •