Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locking up young Blue Jays

Thanks

Locking up young Blue Jays

Hey everyone.

I usually lurk around this board and find sometimes very interesting debates, plus living in the states I usually come here for my Blue Jay news.

Anyway, I was listening to MLB Network radio this morning and they were talking about which young players would us fans like to see lock up early either as cost-certainty or as possible future trade chips, so I thought I would take this question to the board and see what their thoughts were.

In my opinion, since we do not have alot of younger players right now, I would probably focus on Sanchez and Travis if they can repeat and/or improve on 2015.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckofChicago View Post
    Hey everyone.

I usually lurk around this board and find sometimes very interesting debates, plus living in the states I usually come here for my Blue Jay news.

Anyway, I was listening to MLB Network radio this morning and they were talking about which young players would us fans like to see lock up early either as cost-certainty or as possible future trade chips, so I thought I would take this question to the board and see what their thoughts were.

In my opinion, since we do not have alot of younger players right now, I would probably focus on Sanchez and Travis if they can repeat and/or improve on 2015.
    No question some of the salary room opened up should be used to buy some FA years - Stroman and a few others.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,966 Times in 6,564 Posts
    I don't really see a candidate for a long-term extension at this point. Not really into a long-term commitment to Sanchez (or Stroman for that matter) with 4 years of team control left. Pitching is too scary. I don't really see the urgency to commit to Travis before we know what he his. Big questions about his health and about how good he really is.

People have thrown Pillar around as a candidate, but we already control his age 28-31 seasons. I don't think I want to commit to his age-32 season, 5 years in the future, when he can't hit and relies almost exclusively on his legs. Defense doesn't pay in arb anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (12-30-2016),GD (12-30-2016),Spanky99 (12-30-2016),spats (12-31-2016),WryNGinger (12-30-2016)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really see a candidate for a long-term extension at this point. Not really into a long-term commitment to Sanchez (or Stroman for that matter) with 4 years of team control left. Pitching is too scary. I don't really see the urgency to commit to Travis before we know what he his. Big questions about his health and about how good he really is.

People have thrown Pillar around as a candidate, but we already control his age 28-31 seasons. I don't think I want to commit to his age-32 season, 5 years in the future, when he can't hit and relies almost exclusively on his legs. Defense doesn't pay in arb anyway.
    Yes, it's a bit early, mid season 2017 the conversation could start with Stro provided he continues to pitch well and no health concerns.

Thanks
    Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis and even Biagini could all be extension candidates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post

Well said, I don't see any rush for the Jays to hand out extensions at the present time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
    I don't see the Jays being in a rush to lock anyone up right at this moment. Perhaps after 2017 you'll start hearing conversations about Stroman, Sanchez, Travis and Osuna depending on the years they have.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,010 Times in 2,882 Posts
    I like team friendly extensions for hitters. Better be a really good extension for a pitcher. So no real great candidates for the Jays
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Well said, I don't see any rush for the Jays to hand out extensions at the present time.
    Stro a free agent after 2020. By mid 2017 the conversation could start, a 4 yrs @ $12M/yr with two club option years for $14M and $16M... just spitballing the numbers

Thanks
    They already did the best "extension" type of contract you could ever want. Locking up the Cuban kid. I'd rather the team spend $21M over 7 years to try to catch lightning in a bottle from him than extending anyone on the current roster for that long. I hate to say it, but the guys who the Jays have for 3+ years all look like pretty good candidates for injury risk or decline 5 years out. No point in extending any of them. Sanchez would be the best candidate imo and I'm not exactly convinced he wouldn't Ricky Romero that contract.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

spats (12-31-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post
    Stroman, Sanchez, Pillar, Osuna, Travis and even Biagini could all be extension candidates.
    Ok, now you're just drunk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    They already did the best "extension" type of contract you could ever want. Locking up the Cuban kid. I'd rather the team spend $21M over 7 years to try to catch lightning in a bottle from him than extending anyone on the current roster for that long. I hate to say it, but the guys who the Jays have for 3+ years all look like pretty good candidates for injury risk or decline 5 years out. No point in extending any of them. Sanchez would be the best candidate imo and I'm not exactly convinced he wouldn't Ricky Romero that contract.
    I wouldn't extend Sanchez, he's been great but someone who relies exclusively on his fastball to pitch is at a greater risk to turn to shit than someone who knows how to pitch (ie Estrada)
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

All Star
    Thanks
    To me, it makes a lot of sense to extend Stroman and Sanchez now, pre-arb they are much more willing to accept pennies where if you wait for arbitration, they already have a strong idea of how much they can make and are using those figures as the floor.
    Only way to get a massive discount is pre-arb IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastjaysfan View Post
    Do NOT bunt him to 2nd base

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    I wouldn't extend Sanchez, he's been great but someone who relies exclusively on his fastball to pitch is at a greater risk to turn to shit than someone who knows how to pitch (ie Estrada)
    Yes that's why i mentioned Stro but not Sanchez, or Osuna.

Travis needs to show he's not made of glass before considering an extension for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Travis. Even though he hasn't been healthy yet now would be the time to get him on a cheap contract using his injury history as a bargaining chip. if he's healthy this year and has hit like he has so far in his MLB career his price is only going to go up.
    #Free Speech

Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 837 Posts
    No need to extend Stroman or Sanchez unless it looks like Quintana's deal. Travis might never be healthy for an entire year and extending closers with lots of team control and TJS is a no no.