• SF
    PIT
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter O'Brien? Hear Me Out.

Thanks

Peter O'Brien? Hear Me Out.

According to Rotoworld: (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7794/peter-obrien) Peter O'Brien, who was DFA, is attracting trade interest from both NL & AL teams. I know, he does strike out a lot, but does hit for some power, is only 26, isn't eligible for arbitration for a couple of years, has an OK OBP in the minors (full stats: http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2016/ALL), depending on the asking price, maybe the Jays (who just signed a few guys last week to minor league deals who range from 16-19), could part with a lower level or two prospect, or players like they did in the Grilli trade, and see if he might be worth some insurance in the OF, might catch lightning in a bottle, and was originally a catcher, according to Rotoworld in 2015 entering ST, so, maybe he could be a 3rd, or 4th/emergency catcher if needed. He was a September call up in 2015, so he still has options left (2 years if I'm correct), so if the price is right, maybe worth a shot at him, seeing him in ST both as an OF and catcher, if he doesn't make the team out of ST, option him down, see how he plays out down there, in either or both positions, either try slipping him through waivers, or including him in a deal at the deadline if he's doing well and there isn't a spot for him. There's a few guys who might be removed from the 40 man roster depending on any signings, trades, or just not good enough come ST, so if he can be had for the right (cheap/spare parts) price, could give some depth in the OF and catcher, would be inexpensive, still young, has some pop, might be worth a shot. He didn't do well in his cup of coffee in the bigs, but maybe a change of scenery could help. I know it'll put the roster to 40, but there are some guys who might be moved as throw ins, or placed on waivers at some point, either between now or ST, so could make room should they make a trade or sign someone. He could take Darrell Ceciliani spot since he's likely to go unclaimed, and didn't do much. Just a suggestion on an otherwise no news day.

May your crucifying of me commence!

Thanks
    He sported a .130 BA when Arizona visited this year. Was getting chirped big time by the outfield fans then proceeded to homer lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,114 Times in 2,049 Posts
    This is just my personal feeling/speculation(s), but I have a feeling (not quite 50-50% but close to it), that Peter O Brian suxx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (12-30-2016),Spanky99 (12-30-2016)

Thanks
    To be fair he's only played in 36 games and had 74 AB in the bigs. He spent the past two years in the PCL, which we know benefits hitters, so maybe the 50 HR were part of that.

I was just thinking, if it was a cheap price, he could be a fairly low risk, maybe a decent player in the bigs. If he can still catch, play at lest LF if not LF & RF, could be a kind of multi position player. He'd obviously would have to have a great spring, carry over some good hitting into the season.

Might just wind up a AAAA guy, or could be a surprise. I was just suggesting him if the price is right, and he actually showed he could hit in the bigs.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,420 Times in 5,685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    He sported a .130 BA when Arizona visited this year. Was getting chirped big time by the outfield fans then proceeded to homer lol
    Hah... I was at that game, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

ChrisS (12-31-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan4Ever View Post
    To be fair he's only played in 36 games and had 74 AB in the bigs. He spent the past two years in the PCL, which we know benefits hitters, so maybe the 50 HR were part of that.

I was just thinking, if it was a cheap price, he could be a fairly low risk, maybe a decent player in the bigs. If he can still catch, play at lest LF if not LF & RF, could be a kind of multi position player. He'd obviously would have to have a great spring, carry over some good hitting into the season.

Might just wind up a AAAA guy, or could be a surprise. I was just suggesting him if the price is right, and he actually showed he could hit in the bigs.
    If I remember correctly he is pretty bad at every position he plays.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks

To be fair, I have only played 0 big league games and a handful at AA. Does that mean I deserve a shot again? I mean, I am 40 now but using your methodology.

In other news, he sucks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRopes View Post
    To be fair, I have only played 0 big league games and a handful at AA. Does that mean I deserve a shot again? I mean, I am 40 now but using your methodology.

In other news, he sucks.
    You played AA ball? Cool!

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Texas League for the good ole Tulsa Drillers, before anyone asks.

Thanks
    What position?

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    What position?
    RF (poorly) and 1B (less poorly)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    What position?
    Now I live north of the border, selling things and coaching some ball.

Thanks
    Fascinating.

Thanks
    lol

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,677 Posts
    According to Rotoworld: (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7794/peter-obrien) Peter O'Brien, who was DFA, is attracting trade interest from both NL & AL teams. I know, he does strike out a lot, but does hit for some power, is only 26, isn't eligible for arbitration for a couple of years, has an OK OBP in the minors (full stats: http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...tting/2016/ALL), depending on the asking price, maybe the Jays (who just signed a few guys last week to minor league deals who range from 16-19), could part with a lower level or two prospect, or players like they did in the Grilli trade, and see if he might be worth some insurance in the OF, might catch lightning in a bottle, and was originally a catcher, according to Rotoworld in 2015 entering ST, so, maybe he could be a 3rd, or 4th/emergency catcher if needed. He was a September call up in 2015, so he still has options left (2 years if I'm correct), so if the price is right, maybe worth a shot at him, seeing him in ST both as an OF and catcher, if he doesn't make the team out of ST, option him down, see how he plays out down there, in either or both positions, either try slipping him through waivers, or including him in a deal at the deadline if he's doing well and there isn't a spot for him. There's a few guys who might be removed from the 40 man roster depending on any signings, trades, or just not good enough come ST, so if he can be had for the right (cheap/spare parts) price, could give some depth in the OF and catcher, would be inexpensive, still young, has some pop, might be worth a shot. He didn't do well in his cup of coffee in the bigs, but maybe a change of scenery could help. I know it'll put the roster to 40, but there are some guys who might be moved as throw ins, or placed on waivers at some point, either between now or ST, so could make room should they make a trade or sign someone. He could take Darrell Ceciliani spot since he's likely to go unclaimed, and didn't do much. Just a suggestion on an otherwise no news day.

May your crucifying of me commence!
    Yes, I'd like to see this happen (I suggested it in one of the other threads). Use him as the backup catcher, and if he can't be fixed and you have to cut him you haven't really lost much. He has good power, maybe he can start to tap into it. I'd rather go that route than pay a few million for a backup guy who can't hit to save his life.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Yes, I'd like to see this happen (I suggested it in one of the other threads). Use him as the backup catcher, and if he can't be fixed and you have to cut him you haven't really lost much. He has good power, maybe he can start to tap into it. I'd rather go that route than pay a few million for a backup guy who can't hit to save his life.
    Owns O'Brien^^^