Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowdy Tellez

Thanks
    I've read a number of articles about him, heard some audio talks about him. Some say he could force the Jays' hand if he has a good spring, and a good start in AAA, and the output at 1B isn't what they're looking/hoping for. That might mean trying to find a taker on Smoak and his salary, or DFA, trying to get him to AAA, so he will either take the assignment, or forfeit his contact, if I'm recalling it correctly.

I haven't seen him play defensively, and he's seemed to have had a decent OBP throughout his minor league career, starting to hit for power, and doubles, so if he keeps it up, he might be a September call up, at least, if not, up sooner if there's an injury. I would assume if he reports overweight (if they haven't already) the Jays will tell him to work on losing some weight before any potential call up and work on it in AAA.

I agree with many that I see him in AAA for a full season, 1) to have him prove he can play at the higher level, 2) his age, he'll only be 22 and you don't want to expose him unless he's tearing it up, 3) keep the arbitration and FA clock from starting, 4) don't want to have to burn an option if you don't have to, 5) we have basically 3 1B/DH kind of guys right now. If he's putting up a good year, say midway through, his defense is at least average, and the Jays need some help because say the platoon isn't working out, or there is an injury, I could see him coming up. Ultimately, I see him playing a year in AAA, then maybe a Sept call up, or possibly forcing the Jays' to consider him next year depending on the situation.

No one can predict how someone will translate into the majors. We've seen guys who've had great numbers in the minors, come up, wind up AAAA players at best. If I'm making the call, I'd say stick in him AAA all year to see how he plays, if he has a good year, debate if he's worthy to get a promotion in September, or come up in the event of an injury. If his defense can be at least average, and his bat continues like it did last year into AAA, and the bigs, he could be a decent option to have either as someone who takes over in a platoon situation against RHP, at least at initially, and maybe full time in a year or two, either when Pearce's contract is up, and/or Smoak's option is declined. Worse case, he puts up a strong ST, makes the Jays' keep an eye on him, and kind of makes someone like Smoak keep an eye over his shoulder, and pick up his game, knowing the Jays might go to someone else.

Long story short. As it stands now, I see him in AAA all year, unless there's an injury (probably long term, since they might be able to hold onto both Barney and Goins, either on the 25 man somehow, or Goins clears waivers and winds up in AAA, and either one of them play 1B short term, e.g. someone goes on the 10-day DL), or production from Smoak sucks and they say, let's give Tellez a shot, since, at worse, he's no better than Smoak, and we can at least get a look, and tell him what to work on. Then maybe becomes a September call up. I think with the 3 guys who are at 1B/DH, he'll have to really earn his way on the team this year, and if the questions people, well some people, have brought up about his defense are a concern to the Jays, he'll likely be instructed in ST and/or AAA on how to improve and/or to lose weight if that's a factor. I see him as a dark horse, but if he has a solid year in AAA this year, he could force the Jays' hand more likely next year, than this year, but could force their hand this year if there's a long term injury to Pearce, Smoak, Morales, or one of them (likely Smoak), just isn't being as productive as needed. They'll likely keep him in AAA all year to see how he handles it, since it's as close to the bigs as you can get (still a big jump, even with the best prospects, AAAA players, guys who were in the bigs, but options/outrighted, have experience), and if he forces their hand, or they need him, he gets a shot. But I think full year in AAA, will get some help on defense, since, and this is coming from someone who's played 1B against some tough competition, it's not as easy as they say, and in the bigs, you'll need to be at least average. OK, I'm done. Sorry for being so long in my "long story short." lol

Thanks
    Gonna go out on a short limb and predict Tellez destroys AAA pitching. A huge jump from A ball to AA with excellent results says he'll have no trouble at AAA.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan4Ever View Post
    OK, I'm done. Sorry for being so long in my "long story short." lol
    You need a different medium for an outlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GD For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Gonna go out on a short limb and predict Tellez destroys AAA pitching. A huge jump from A ball to AA with excellent results says he'll have no trouble at AAA.
    Yep, he could be up to replace Smoak real quick! Let's hope that's the case!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GD View Post
    You need a different medium for an outlet.
    I do tend to ramble.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaysFan4Ever For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-01-2017),TheHurl (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,275 Times in 6,024 Posts
    I've read a number of articles about him, heard some audio talks about him. Some say he could force the Jays' hand if he has a good spring, and a good start in AAA, and the output at 1B isn't what they're looking/hoping for. That might mean trying to find a taker on Smoak and his salary, or DFA, trying to get him to AAA, so he will either take the assignment, or forfeit his contact, if I'm recalling it correctly.

I haven't seen him play defensively, and he's seemed to have had a decent OBP throughout his minor league career, starting to hit for power, and doubles, so if he keeps it up, he might be a September call up, at least, if not, up sooner if there's an injury. I would assume if he reports overweight (if they haven't already) the Jays will tell him to work on losing some weight before any potential call up and work on it in AAA.

I agree with many that I see him in AAA for a full season, 1) to have him prove he can play at the higher level, 2) his age, he'll only be 22 and you don't want to expose him unless he's tearing it up, 3) keep the arbitration and FA clock from starting, 4) don't want to have to burn an option if you don't have to, 5) we have basically 3 1B/DH kind of guys right now. If he's putting up a good year, say midway through, his defense is at least average, and the Jays need some help because say the platoon isn't working out, or there is an injury, I could see him coming up. Ultimately, I see him playing a year in AAA, then maybe a Sept call up, or possibly forcing the Jays' to consider him next year depending on the situation.

No one can predict how someone will translate into the majors. We've seen guys who've had great numbers in the minors, come up, wind up AAAA players at best. If I'm making the call, I'd say stick in him AAA all year to see how he plays, if he has a good year, debate if he's worthy to get a promotion in September, or come up in the event of an injury. If his defense can be at least average, and his bat continues like it did last year into AAA, and the bigs, he could be a decent option to have either as someone who takes over in a platoon situation against RHP, at least at initially, and maybe full time in a year or two, either when Pearce's contract is up, and/or Smoak's option is declined. Worse case, he puts up a strong ST, makes the Jays' keep an eye on him, and kind of makes someone like Smoak keep an eye over his shoulder, and pick up his game, knowing the Jays might go to someone else.

Long story short. As it stands now, I see him in AAA all year, unless there's an injury (probably long term, since they might be able to hold onto both Barney and Goins, either on the 25 man somehow, or Goins clears waivers and winds up in AAA, and either one of them play 1B short term, e.g. someone goes on the 10-day DL), or production from Smoak sucks and they say, let's give Tellez a shot, since, at worse, he's no better than Smoak, and we can at least get a look, and tell him what to work on. Then maybe becomes a September call up. I think with the 3 guys who are at 1B/DH, he'll have to really earn his way on the team this year, and if the questions people, well some people, have brought up about his defense are a concern to the Jays, he'll likely be instructed in ST and/or AAA on how to improve and/or to lose weight if that's a factor. I see him as a dark horse, but if he has a solid year in AAA this year, he could force the Jays' hand more likely next year, than this year, but could force their hand this year if there's a long term injury to Pearce, Smoak, Morales, or one of them (likely Smoak), just isn't being as productive as needed. They'll likely keep him in AAA all year to see how he handles it, since it's as close to the bigs as you can get (still a big jump, even with the best prospects, AAAA players, guys who were in the bigs, but options/outrighted, have experience), and if he forces their hand, or they need him, he gets a shot. But I think full year in AAA, will get some help on defense, since, and this is coming from someone who's played 1B against some tough competition, it's not as easy as they say, and in the bigs, you'll need to be at least average. OK, I'm done. Sorry for being so long in my "long story short." lol
    Wow!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Wow!
    Yeah, I must have had one too many cups of coffee today.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 6,052 Posts
    Yeah, I must have had one too many cups of coffee today.
    Today? lol

http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/...57#post1098657

http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/...55#post1103355

http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/...71#post1103571

Holy Shnikies!
    Last edited by Spanky99; 01-01-2017 at 06:02 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

JaysFan4Ever (01-01-2017),P2F (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Today? lol
    lol okay, maybe more like this weekend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JaysFan4Ever For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    I don't mind people doing long posts, it's the people that quote the full post that need to be slapped.

Either way I'm excited for the Tellez train.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    didnt read the first post ^
    Can confirm, didn't read a word.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,883 Times in 4,915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    I don't mind people doing long posts, it's the people that quote the full post that need to be slapped.

I think it's important to make sure that the post's author has his message spread since he put in so much effort. Nothing wrong with that imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think it's important...
    A quote like what I just did with yours is much easier to read and makes for less scrolling.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post

I think it's important to make sure that the post's author has his message spread since he put in so much effort. Nothing wrong with that imo.
    A quote like what I just did with yours is much easier to read and makes for less scrolling.
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,236 Posts
    bart
    12:23
    Where do you stand on Rowdy Tellez? Despite putting up great numbers he is ranked quite low on prospect lists and there is a popular opinion that his bat won't translate to the majors.

Eric A Longenhagen
    12:24
    I'm skeptical because we all saw him struggle with good pitching for six weeks last fall but I've talked to scouts who saw him this year and they've said he's improved. I think Jays fans are allowed to be cautiously optimistic that they might have a big league contributor coming up to replace the power they've lost but this isn't a player I'm targeting in dynasty leagues or anything like that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

TholesWeirdEye (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,275 Times in 6,024 Posts
    Why do we care if he struckout a few times against 100 MPH fastballs in the AFL over a year ago? He had a 127 wRC+ over a ~90 PA sample. And then went on to absolutely slug AA the next season.

Law and Longenhagen both keep going back to the 2015 AFL whenever they are asked about Tellez.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (01-09-2017)