• PIT
    DET
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • PIT
    DET
    Preview
    3:33 AM ET
  • HOU
    LAA
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • CWS
    SEA
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • COL
    SD
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
  • SF
    WSH
    Preview
    3:45 PM ET
  • NYY
    MIN
    Preview
    6:35 PM ET
  • CIN
    ATL
    Preview
    6:40 PM ET
  • PHI
    ARI
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • BAL
    TB
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR
    BOS
    Preview
    7:07 PM ET
  • CLE
    CHC
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • LAD
    MIA
    Preview
    7:35 PM ET
  • TEX
    OAK
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • KC
    MIL
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • STL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 503 of 523 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513 ... LastLast
Results 8,033 to 8,048 of 8354

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

  1. #8033
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    43,350
    Thanks
    44,760
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I don't know a lot about him, but Tucker looks to be awful defensively.
    Meh... nothing wrong with claiming him and optioning him to the minors, come March.

  2. #8034
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 473 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    With the outrageous money going to RP's, this has to be AAV right? If not the Stros just signed Rondon on a great contract.

    he was only expected to earn 6 in arbitration so I would say it's 4.25 per year. I was hoping the Jays would take a chance on Rondon

  3. #8035
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    43,350
    Thanks
    44,760
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    he was only expected to earn 6 in arbitration so I would say it's 4.25 per year. I was hoping the Jays would take a chance on Rondon
    Yeah, but he was outrighted, that's a flippin' steal, and yes, I wish the Birds were in on him.

  4. #8036
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    43,350
    Thanks
    44,760
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    Dustin Fowler Sues White Sox Over Injury
    By Jeff Todd | December 16, 2017 at 12:11am CDT

    Athletics outfielder Dustin Fowler has brought a lawsuit against the White Sox and the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority relating to the serious knee injury he suffered in June, as Tom Schuba of the Chicago Sun Times reports.

    Fowler was injured when he collided with an electrical box along the right field wall at Chicago’s Guaranteed Rate Field while chasing a foul pop-up. At the time, he was playing for the Yankees in his first major league baseball game. He suffered a ruptured patella tendon that required surgery and cost him the entire remainder of the season.

    Now a member of the Athletics after being included in the Sonny Gray swap at the 2017 trade deadline, Fowler is working his way back in preparation for Spring Training. The hope is that he will regain his health and former trajectory as a player, though certainly it is not yet clear whether he’ll face ongoing physical limitations.

    Fowler, who’ll soon turn 23, had increasingly been seen as an intriguing young player during the course of the 2017 season. He hit 13 home runs and posted a .293/.329/.542 batting line in 313 plate appearances at Triple-A, earning his first call-up.

    According to the suit, the White Sox and/or Authority failed to adequately protect players from the unpadded electrical box, leaving players exposed to the sort of harm that Fowler ultimately suffered. He is seeking damages for “severe and permanent” injuries, pain and suffering, and certain medical costs.

    Gold Jerry, Gold!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (12-17-2017)

  6. #8037
    Big Leaguer JaysAllMighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    623
    Thanked 709 Times in 418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Dustin Fowler Sues White Sox Over Injury
    By Jeff Todd | December 16, 2017 at 12:11am CDT

    Athletics outfielder Dustin Fowler has brought a lawsuit against the White Sox and the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority relating to the serious knee injury he suffered in June, as Tom Schuba of the Chicago Sun Times reports.

    Fowler was injured when he collided with an electrical box along the right field wall at Chicago’s Guaranteed Rate Field while chasing a foul pop-up. At the time, he was playing for the Yankees in his first major league baseball game. He suffered a ruptured patella tendon that required surgery and cost him the entire remainder of the season.

    Now a member of the Athletics after being included in the Sonny Gray swap at the 2017 trade deadline, Fowler is working his way back in preparation for Spring Training. The hope is that he will regain his health and former trajectory as a player, though certainly it is not yet clear whether he’ll face ongoing physical limitations.

    Fowler, who’ll soon turn 23, had increasingly been seen as an intriguing young player during the course of the 2017 season. He hit 13 home runs and posted a .293/.329/.542 batting line in 313 plate appearances at Triple-A, earning his first call-up.

    According to the suit, the White Sox and/or Authority failed to adequately protect players from the unpadded electrical box, leaving players exposed to the sort of harm that Fowler ultimately suffered. He is seeking damages for “severe and permanent” injuries, pain and suffering, and certain medical costs.

    Gold Jerry, Gold!

    Michael Saunders would also have a good case with his sprinkler incident.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaysAllMighty For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (12-17-2017),Spanky99 (12-16-2017)

  8. #8038
    All Star silvergun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,204
    Thanks
    7,288
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,339 Posts
    I mean he's not wrong, that sounds negligent to me.

    Why the hell would it not be padded?

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (12-17-2017),Spanky99 (12-16-2017)

  10. #8039
    Top 100 Prospect intrigid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 101 Times in 60 Posts
    Why are there ANY electrical boxes, padded or not, stationed on a field of play?

  11. #8040
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    12,531
    Thanks
    978
    Thanked 6,140 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intrigid View Post
    Why are there ANY electrical boxes, padded or not, stationed on a field of play?
    The White Sox traded everyone...they needed to plug someone in at RF
    Last edited by TheHurl; 12-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

    Boxcar (12-16-2017),Deadpool (12-17-2017),Spanky99 (12-16-2017)

  13. #8041
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Courtice, Ontario
    Posts
    15,231
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,435 Posts

  14. #8042
    Blue Chip Prospect MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 649 Times in 353 Posts
    Braves clear Kemp's salary for 2019 in exchange for taking those shit contracts to help Dodgers in 2018. Braves don't care about money this year.

    I think both teams win in this one.

    And Braves just DFA'd Gonzalez.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (12-16-2017)

  16. #8043
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    12,531
    Thanks
    978
    Thanked 6,140 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Braves clear Kemp's salary for 2019 in exchange for taking those shit contracts to help Dodgers in 2018. Braves don't care about money this year.

    I think both teams win in this one.

    And Braves just DFA'd Gonzalez.
    Dodgers were paying $3.5M of 2018 and 2019 anyway. So he's just $18M added for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  17. #8044
    MVP jaysfan2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,064
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 432 Times in 345 Posts
    Braves will keep Kazmir and McCarthy most likely to plug into their rotation to give some of their young arms time to develop in Gwinnett or in the bullpen, Culberson will be a bench piece.

    As for the Dodgers, they had to get under the tax--as known, the team has debt service issues and under MLB rules, they must reduce their payroll or face significant penalties. Kemp will likely be a bench bat and backup LF/RF for the Dodgers, while they reduce their payroll to about $170M-180M and clear some of their overage of SPs...

    In addition, this makes the Dodgers one of the faves to sign Bryce Harper next offseason if the Nats cannot resign him by the end of this coming season.

  18. #8045
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,410
    Thanks
    3,924
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    So:

    A-Gon (21.5), McCarthy (10), Kazmir (16), Culberson, + 4.5M for

    Kemp (18, 18)

    Braves take on something like 43M in 2018 salary and give away 18M in 2018 salary and 18M in 2019 salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  19. #8046
    MVP jaysfan2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,064
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 432 Times in 345 Posts
    An update--apparently, Kemp's stay with the Dodgers will be brief. LAD is trying to flip him to save money and get well under the tax.

  20. #8047
    DONOR jays4life19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,260
    Thanks
    3,769
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 3,045 Posts

  21. #8048
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,824
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    So:

    A-Gon (21.5), McCarthy (10), Kazmir (16), Culberson, + 4.5M for

    Kemp (18, 18)

    Braves take on something like 43M in 2018 salary and give away 18M in 2018 salary and 18M in 2019 salary.
    Seems like a win/win for both teams. Resets the luxury tax for LA ... gives Atlanta 1 year of possibly unshitty pitching and a backup SS, and they go off the books for 2019.
    ****FREE SPANKY****


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •