Page 519 of 523 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521 ... LastLast
Results 8,289 to 8,304 of 8354

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

  1. #8289
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,513
    Thanks
    3,570
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,964 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I would have liked to see them spend the money on more bats. As you say, they lack depth - Rodgers is projected as their 6th best position player. They have no 1B. They're thin in the OF after Blackmon and maybe Dahl. Signing one of Santana/Alonso/LoMo and one of Cain/Dyson would have made a lot more sense to me than blowing their wad on relievers. Hell, if they had money to burn, Dahl + for Yelich and Chen would have been a good fit.
    This exactly. At the price they paid for their relievers they could have acquired the best 1B option available AND Lorenzo Cain to cover their biggest holes, those are significant upgrades, signing a bunch of relievers, none of whom are necessarily elite, is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  2. #8290
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 649 Times in 448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't think that's really true. I see Hosmer, Morrison, and Duda left. Morrison probably costs close to 10M a year.
    Any of Napoli, Adrian Gonzalez, Lind, Pedro Alvarez, Chris Carter, plus Bautista could end up taking a low cost 1 or 2 year deal.

    Obviously none of those players are elite, but I'm not sure overpaying to secure someone like Hosmer would have been in the Rockies best interests either.

  3. #8291
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,974
    Thanks
    3,691
    Thanked 12,875 Times in 7,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Any of Napoli, Adrian Gonzalez, Lind, Pedro Alvarez, Chris Carter, plus Bautista could end up taking a low cost 1 or 2 year deal.

    Obviously none of those players are elite, but I'm not sure overpaying to secure someone like Hosmer would have been in the Rockies best interests either.
    Yeah, but those guys all suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  4. #8292
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,805
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,531 Posts
    I could easily see Colorado only winning 75 games. Seems to be one of the last few FO in MLB that hasn't caught up analytics wise.

    Baltimore, Miami and SF might be the only other ones off the top of my head.

  5. #8293
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,577
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked 8,049 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    This exactly. At the price they paid for their relievers they could have acquired the best 1B option available AND Lorenzo Cain to cover their biggest holes, those are significant upgrades, signing a bunch of relievers, none of whom are necessarily elite, is not.
    I'm not really understanding why there's a debate here...the Rockies blowing their load on relievers when they have lots of other holes that need to be filled doesn't deserve to be defended. Not like this org has a history of being smart and savvy either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

  6. #8294
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,513
    Thanks
    3,570
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,964 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Any of Napoli, Adrian Gonzalez, Lind, Pedro Alvarez, Chris Carter, plus Bautista could end up taking a low cost 1 or 2 year deal.

    Obviously none of those players are elite, but I'm not sure overpaying to secure someone like Hosmer would have been in the Rockies best interests either.
    All of the players you just mentioned are replacement level and 4 of them were significantly below replacement last season. That's not how you upgrade a glaring hole in the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  7. #8295
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 649 Times in 448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    All of the players you just mentioned are replacement level and 4 of them were significantly below replacement last season. That's not how you upgrade a glaring hole in the team.
    On a low risk deal any of them could have a good year, and when the alternatives are massively overpaying someone like Hosmer on a much longer deal than any of their relievers got, I'd target someone like Lind for them at least.

  8. #8296
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,974
    Thanks
    3,691
    Thanked 12,875 Times in 7,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    On a low risk deal any of them could have a good year, and when the alternatives are massively overpaying someone like Hosmer on a much longer deal than any of their relievers got, I'd target someone like Lind for them at least.
    You can say the same about a lot of relievers still available. Two of Cain/Santana/Hosmer/Dyson/Morrison/Alonso + a couple of cheap relievers makes them better than Davis/McGee/Shaw + a couple of cheap bats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  9. #8297
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 649 Times in 448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You can say the same about a lot of relievers still available. Two of Cain/Santana/Hosmer/Dyson/Morrison/Alonso + a couple of cheap relievers makes them better than Davis/McGee/Shaw + a couple of cheap bats.
    Sure, but you can't know that they'd be able to sign two of Cain/Santana/Hosmer/Dyson/Morrison/Alonso and even if you assume they could have, the overall money and contract lengths would have almost certainly been higher if Cain or Hosmer were included.

    Both approaches have risk, but most of the risk is monetary. They have the salary room so IMO the distinction between which method they used is a lot closer than you think. Neither mortgages the future (as no prospects are given up) and they obviously felt that the bullpen was a bigger need than 1B when compared to free agent solutions.

  10. #8298
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,207
    Thanks
    2,270
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,421 Posts
    How do the Rockies spend 100 million and not end up with a guy like Cain or similar talent? He's a great fit there. It's so dumb it hurts. I told the Monforts to give me a job but they refused. Probably because Dick's ex-wife is a client. Of course all my dumbass Rockie-fan friends are praising the moves. Dumbest fanbase in baseball. They make your average Blue Jays fan look like Bill James.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

    burlingtonbandit (12-29-2017)

  12. #8299
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,207
    Thanks
    2,270
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Factor in Desmond last year and the Rockies have spent 170 million on 4 guys who might never put up even a 2 WAR season. Yikes.

  13. #8300
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,974
    Thanks
    3,691
    Thanked 12,875 Times in 7,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    How do the Rockies spend 100 million and not end up with a guy like Cain or similar talent? He's a great fit there. It's so dumb it hurts. I told the Monforts to give me a job but they refused. Probably because Dick's ex-wife is a client. Of course all my dumbass Rockie-fan friends are praising the moves. Dumbest fanbase in baseball. They make your average Blue Jays fan look like Bill James.
    You'd think the disastrous signings of Dunn, Motte, and Qualls in recent years would clue people in to the fact the multi-year free agent contracts for non-elite relievers tend to be a terrible way to spend money. They only relief deal that's worked out was a 1/6 contract to Holland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  14. #8301
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,974
    Thanks
    3,691
    Thanked 12,875 Times in 7,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Factor in Desmond last year and the Rockies have spent 170 million on 4 guys who might never put up even a 2 WAR season. Yikes.
    Also, Gerardo Parra is 2 years into a 3/27.5 deal and has been worth -0.9 fWAR. Another $30M set on fire. That was weird from the start, as he had been worth just 0.6 fWAR over 1200 PA in the previous two seasons before signing his deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  15. #8302
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,207
    Thanks
    2,270
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You'd think the disastrous signings of Dunn, Motte, and Qualls in recent years would clue people in to the fact the multi-year free agent contracts for non-elite relievers tend to be a terrible way to spend money. They only relief deal that's worked out was a 1/6 contract to Holland.
    Yep. It's pretty frustrating too because the team finally has a good core and ownership is willing to spend. The two rarely converge like this but they are fucking it up.

  16. #8303
    Blue Chip Prospect MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 573 Times in 315 Posts
    Rockies have McMahon coming through on the infield, probably 1B.

    Still, they could have easily signed Alonso instead of Bryan Shaw. Pretty much the same contract.

    Unless they are dead set on Desmond playing 1B because.... who knows why?

  17. #8304
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,008
    Thanks
    664
    Thanked 2,734 Times in 2,033 Posts
    I know Wade Davis is awesome, but the Rockies are paying him 17.3M per year AND forfeit their 2nd round pick in the draft. This does not seem wise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •