Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 113 to 128 of 611

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

  1. #113
    MVP jaysfan2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,339
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 368 Times in 296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    They just made it to game 7 of the WS, bruh!
    It's THIS year I'm referring to. Just because they reached the World Series does not mean attendance will suddenly surge--Cleveland's economy has been decimated by losses in manufacturing, and now a strong US dollar is not going to help.. and talk is that most of the fans at the 2016 World Series games in Cleveland were Cubs fans..

    Unless Trump magically makes jobs reappear in Cleveland, it's unlikely you'll ever see a return to the high attendances back in the 1990s when the team was a World Series contender.

  2. #114
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29,796
    Thanks
    33,545
    Thanked 6,495 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan2014 View Post
    It's THIS year I'm referring to. Just because they reached the World Series does not mean attendance will suddenly surge--Cleveland's economy has been decimated by losses in manufacturing, and now a strong US dollar is not going to help.. and talk is that most of the fans at the 2016 World Series games in Cleveland were Cubs fans..

    Unless Trump magically makes jobs reappear in Cleveland, it's unlikely you'll ever see a return to the high attendances back in the 1990s when the team was a World Series contender.
    Wow!

  3. #115
    MVP
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 637 Times in 506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Wow!
    What wow. He is right on the money
    Goodbye AA.

  4. #116
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    578
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
    He's drunk. Ignore

  5. #117
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Shakespeare, ON
    Posts
    1,796
    Thanks
    1,042
    Thanked 422 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Apparently EE's deal with the Indians includes up to $1m a year attendance bonuses on a sliding scale for total attendances over 2 million people a year.

    Can't remember seeing that before, but it's an interesting clause.

    Interesting is not the word I would use. We got you less guaranteed money... but I got them to put this attendance clause in to make you extra money. Edwin's agent will not ever be mistaken for Scott Boras.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafro For This Useful Post:

    intentional wok (01-07-2017)

  7. #118
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,713
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 378 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealAccountant View Post
    What wow. He is right on the money
    I'd buy it more if the Browns hadn't drawn 514K at an average ticket price of 62 dollars for 8 games. Add in another 2 preseason games that almost sell out and you're over 600K for 10 games. The Indians drew just over 1.5 million over 81 games at an average price of just over 25 bucks a ticket. The revenue generated by the Browns was as much as the Indians and they won 1 game.

  8. #119
    All Star The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    6,676
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    I'd buy it more if the Browns hadn't drawn 514K at an average ticket price of 62 dollars for 8 games. Add in another 2 preseason games that almost sell out and you're over 600K for 10 games. The Indians drew just over 1.5 million over 81 games at an average price of just over 25 bucks a ticket. The revenue generated by the Browns was as much as the Indians and they won 1 game.
    Nice try, but you're comparing apples to oranges. That still put them at 24th in the league for attendance.
    #Free Speech

  9. #120
    All Star The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    6,676
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    I'd buy it more if the Browns hadn't drawn 514K at an average ticket price of 62 dollars for 8 games. Add in another 2 preseason games that almost sell out and you're over 600K for 10 games. The Indians drew just over 1.5 million over 81 games at an average price of just over 25 bucks a ticket. The revenue generated by the Browns was as much as the Indians and they won 1 game.
    And their average ticket price is 3rd lowest in the NFL. fyi
    #Free Speech

  10. #121
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    3,885
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 958 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cats Ass View Post
    Nice try, but you're comparing apples to oranges. That still put them at 24th in the league for attendance.
    He makes a good point that Cleveland fans have the money to shell out for sporting events. They just pick the wrong sport.

  11. #122
    All Star The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    6,676
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    He makes a good point that Cleveland fans have the money to shell out for sporting events. They just pick the wrong sport.
    He makes a shitty point I think. Football is a whole other beast. The fan experience is just that much better that it's worth the extra cash. A lot of the tickets could also be from other team's fans. When your team only plays 8 home games a season sometimes you gotta go to other cities to see them play.
    #Free Speech

  12. #123
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,462
    Thanks
    670
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    He makes a good point that Cleveland fans have the money to shell out for sporting events. They just pick the wrong sport.
    How is it wrong to go watch the greatest basketball player and a championship team?

  13. #124
    Top 100 Prospect ChrisS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    561
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 86 Times in 62 Posts
    I don't buy into the notion of Clevelanders not attending Indians games because they can't afford too. Tickets can be had for $15, even less on stubhub for weekday games. You can get good food for cheap at progressive too. Baseball simply isn't as popular in Cleveland anymore. They had one of the best teams in baseball last year and could barely even half fill that small stadium.

  14. #125
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,462
    Thanks
    670
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I don't buy into the notion of Clevelanders not attending Indians games because they can't afford too. Tickets can be had for $15, even less on stubhub for weekday games. You can get good food for cheap at progressive too. Baseball simply isn't as popular in Cleveland anymore. They had one of the best teams in baseball last year and could barely even half fill that small stadium.
    Attendance usually doesn't show up until the season after. Even when the Jays did really well in the first half of 2014 fans were no where to be found.

  15. #126
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    3,885
    Thanks
    469
    Thanked 958 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cats Ass View Post
    He makes a shitty point I think. Football is a whole other beast. The fan experience is just that much better that it's worth the extra cash. A lot of the tickets could also be from other team's fans. When your team only plays 8 home games a season sometimes you gotta go to other cities to see them play.
    To each his own. It still proves the point that Cleveland fans have the disposable income to spend on sports. I can't see the fan experience being any better for the worst team in the league, but I don't like the slow, plodding American version of football.

  16. #127
    Top 100 Prospect Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 125 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Attendance usually doesn't show up until the season after. Even when the Jays did really well in the first half of 2014 fans were no where to be found.
    Good point. At the beginning of 2016 most media had Cleveland finishing 3rd behind the Royals and Tigers (though Fangraphs' projected wins had them winning their division).

    The average sports fan in Cleveland prob wouldn't have noticed that the team was good when the focus was on LeBron and the Cavs.

    Then the last month of the season they'd notice playoffs were possible/likely, they the team reaches the World Series and makes a big statement signing of EE.

  17. #128
    Top 100 Prospect Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    694
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 125 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    To each his own. It still proves the point that Cleveland fans have the disposable income to spend on sports. I can't see the fan experience being any better for the worst team in the league, but I don't like the slow, plodding American version of football.
    Even in a recession a major city will have thousands of people who have plenty of disposable income. You're right that the quality of experience would have a bigger effect and that's directly related to the quality of the team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •