• SF
    COL
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 9 of 295 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cats Ass View Post
    He makes a shitty point I think. Football is a whole other beast. The fan experience is just that much better that it's worth the extra cash. A lot of the tickets could also be from other team's fans. When your team only plays 8 home games a season sometimes you gotta go to other cities to see them play.
    Even if NFL wasn't the most popular sport in America they only play 8 home games instead of 81 so are therefore much more likely to sell out each game.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Governator (01-08-2017),The Cats Ass (01-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    To each his own. It still proves the point that Cleveland fans have the disposable income to spend on sports. I can't see the fan experience being any better for the worst team in the league, but I don't like the slow, plodding American version of football.
    Tailgate party!
    RIP North49

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    but I don't like the slow, plodding American version of football.
    https://youtu.be/rJu2qSJ9zno
    RIP North49

Thanks
    Regardless, with the Cavs a NBA Finals candidate(they just added Kyle Korver recently), the Indians cannot count on fans showing up with most people likely to prefer watching LeBron James next door over Edwin and a bunch of players that are barely recognizable outside of Cleveland.

Plus, attendance is poor in the spring due to the cold weather in Cleveland in April and May..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan2014 View Post
    bunch of players that are barely recognizable outside of Cleveland.
    Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2017),vdartanian (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Wow!
    Uh, this is actually true--remember last year's All-Star Game? Outside of Lindor, the average fan will not recognize anyone from Cleveland--as they do not get the coverage teams like the Yankees and Red Sox(and even the Blue Jays) do.

The only way Cleveland players will get recognized is if the team WINS..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan2014 View Post
    Uh, this is actually true--remember last year's All-Star Game? Outside of Lindor, the average fan will not recognize anyone from Cleveland
    so Kluber.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (01-08-2017),Spanky99 (01-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    so Kluber.
    Also Miller.

People like Kipnis, Brantley, Allen you'd expect baseball fans to know too as a minimum.

It's actually an interesting contrast to a personality based sport like the NBA, baseball players just aren't as well known in general.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I don't buy into the notion of Clevelanders not attending Indians games because they can't afford too. Tickets can be had for $15, even less on stubhub for weekday games. You can get good food for cheap at progressive too. Baseball simply isn't as popular in Cleveland anymore. They had one of the best teams in baseball last year and could barely even half fill that small stadium.
    You also have to factor in that Cleveland isn't like Toronto which is surrounded by other cities like Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughn, Oshawa, Barrie, Burlington and Hamilton etc. that have a decent size population on top of the population already in Toronto & the suburbs. Also, Toronto is more of a business city, so you'll have a lot of foreigners/people here on business and that have money. Same with tourists who visit Canada, Toronto is a main spot since its the biggest city and with Niagara Falls close by. Tourists who visit the U.S. from overseas tend to visit NYC, Washington DC, Florida, California, Las Vegas etc. They have no incentive to visit Cleveland lol.

With 81 home games, it's tough to sell out every game in Cleveland especially when the weather is usually shit in April/early May. Even in Toronto, it's not like April/May games are all sold out except maybe on weekends, and still its easy to get a ticket. Tickets are cheap in Cleveland, though still $15 USD per game, plus food/beers would add up if the average joe goes to 3-4 games per week. And beer prices aren't that cheap in Cleveland at the ballpark, especially when doing the USD/CAD conversion. Also, have to factor in that that walk-up crowds in Toronto are significantly larger than in Cleveland. Cleveland's downtown is pretty much a ghost town, and it's not like many people live in condos in the downtown Cleveland area as they do in Toronto.

So like you said, I don't think it has to do with the notion that Clevelanders can't afford to attend games. While I'm sure money does play a small factor, there are other numerous factors at play.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    I couldn't imagine leaving my big screen tv to go and pay to watch the browns play in the cold.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wamco For This Useful Post:

intentional wok (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    You also have to factor in that Cleveland isn't like Toronto which is surrounded by other cities like Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughn, Oshawa, Barrie, Burlington and Hamilton etc. that have a decent size population on top of the population already in Toronto & the suburbs. Also, Toronto is more of a business city, so you'll have a lot of foreigners/people here on business and that have money. Same with tourists who visit Canada, Toronto is a main spot since its the biggest city and with Niagara Falls close by. Tourists who visit the U.S. from overseas tend to visit NYC, Washington DC, Florida, California, Las Vegas etc. They have no incentive to visit Cleveland lol.

With 81 home games, it's tough to sell out every game in Cleveland especially when the weather is usually shit in April/early May. Even in Toronto, it's not like April/May games are all sold out except maybe on weekends, and still its easy to get a ticket. Tickets are cheap in Cleveland, though still $15 USD per game, plus food/beers would add up if the average joe goes to 3-4 games per week. And beer prices aren't that cheap in Cleveland at the ballpark, especially when doing the USD/CAD conversion. Also, have to factor in that that walk-up crowds in Toronto are significantly larger than in Cleveland. Cleveland's downtown is pretty much a ghost town, and it's not like many people live in condos in the downtown Cleveland area as they do in Toronto.

So like you said, I don't think it has to do with the notion that Clevelanders can't afford to attend games. While I'm sure money does play a small factor, there are other numerous factors at play.
    And bringing up Cleveland previous attendance (other people not you), one has to remember that the Jake was new and a destination on it's own (in my mind the best of the parks built in that era...mind you I haven't been to Chase or Coors but I like the Jake better than Camden and whatever the fuck the White Sox field is called). They sold that place out for 7 years. Plus they have cut 8,000 seats from the Jake since then. Last year's success wouldn't necessarily affect tickets last year as they were so comfortably out front down the stretch. I'd expect a modest jump this season. Certainly not top 10 though.
    Last edited by TheHurl; 01-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    And bringing up Cleveland previous attendance (other people not you), one has to remember that the Jake was new and a destination on it's own (in my mind the best of the parks built in that era...mind you I haven't been to Chase or Coors but I like the Jake better than Camden and whatever the fuck the White Sox field is called). They sold that place out for 7 years. Plus they have cut 8,000 seats from the Jake since then. Last year's success wouldn't necessarily affect tickets last year as they were so comfortably out front down the stretch. I'd expect a modest jump this season. Certainly not top 10 though.
    Even 2M might be a stretch--they'd have to average 25,000/game, which Cleveland has not done since 2008.. and unlike then, the economy in that city was absolutely hammered by the mortgage crisis after 2008, and fans haven't returned. A return back to the glory days of the 90s is highly unlikely, unless they win a World Series.. they'll likely never draw the 3.5M they once did (of course, with reduced capacity, they max out at about 2.85M.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    I couldn't imagine leaving my big screen tv to go and pay to watch the browns play in the cold.
    I did once. New years day when the Steelers were in town. Never again will I participate in a outdoor sporting event during the winter time
    #FireCasey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    I did once. New years day when the Steelers were in town. Never again will I participate in a outdoor sporting event during the winter time
    Personally I've never understood why so many fans complain about dome stadiums.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    The coldest I've ever been was watching 4th division football (soccer) in the snow. I couldn't feel my feet by the end of the match.

Good times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    The coldest I've ever been was watching 4th division football (soccer) in the snow. I couldn't feel my feet by the end of the match.

Good times.
    "4th division"
    Me: WHY... *looks at location*.... nevermind.
    GDT Record: 1-1 GDT Debut: July 12, 2015 L 11-10 KC