Page 349 of 427 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399 ... LastLast
Results 5,569 to 5,584 of 6826

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

  1. #5569
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 195 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Are the Padres the worst-run team in baseball now? Holding Brad Hand makes no sense. His value should have been higher now than it will ever be, and he's currently pitching at peak level. IMO not selling the most volatile category of asset in the game is pretty indefensible. They seem to get everything wrong.
    I don't think it's a big deal, he's still under control for the next two seasons albeit at a higher price. I wouldn't move him either if a team wasn't willing to give me the prospects I want.

  2. #5570
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    2,140
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal, he's still under control for the next two seasons albeit at a higher price. I wouldn't move him either if a team wasn't willing to give me the prospects I want.
    I'd like to know what they were offered but the Jays managed to turn a shitty starting pitcher in to a guy who should be able to start in RF next season. You'd have to imagine that the Astros would have done the same deal minus Aoki for Hand. They do have him for two more years but I'll be surprised if the market for him actually increases.

  3. #5571
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 195 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'd like to know what they were offered but the Jays managed to turn a shitty starting pitcher in to a guy who should be able to start in RF next season. You'd have to imagine that the Astros would have done the same deal minus Aoki for Hand. They do have him for two more years but I'll be surprised if the market for him actually increases.
    I can't imagine the Padres would take Hernandez for Hand, then they really would be the worst run organization in baseball. We had to pay significant money on the Liriano deal to even get Herandez.

  4. #5572
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    2,140
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    I can't imagine the Padres would take Hernandez for Hand, then they really would be the worst run organization in baseball. We had to pay significant money on the Liriano deal to even get Herandez.
    Yeah I didn't mean a straight swap just highlighting that if deals like the Liriano one were to be had then surely they could have gotten something for an even better pitcher.

  5. #5573
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23,741
    Thanks
    3,499
    Thanked 12,272 Times in 7,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yeah I didn't mean a straight swap just highlighting that if deals like the Liriano one were to be had then surely they could have gotten something for an even better pitcher.
    Yeah. Another lesser reliever returned Candelario. All signs point to SD likely having pretty good offers on a guy whose value only stands to decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  6. #5574
    DONOR P2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    4,929
    Thanks
    2,861
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Yeah. Another lesser reliever returned Candelario. All signs point to SD likely having pretty good offers on a guy whose value only stands to decline.
    That's the return I was thinking of as well. Mind you, Avila went as part of the package, but I can't imagine he had a ton of value despite his career year.

  7. #5575
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    25,686
    Thanks
    1,745
    Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,646 Posts
    Oh, and LOL @ the Orioles for thinking they were buyers

    At least our FO knows the difference

  8. #5576
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 195 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Oh, and LOL @ the Orioles for thinking they were buyers

    At least our FO knows the difference
    Still can't believe Rogers wanted to hire Dan Duquette. We got lucky with Shapiro.

  9. #5577
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,008
    Thanks
    244
    Thanked 183 Times in 132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    Still can't believe Rogers wanted to hire Dan Duquette. We got lucky with Shapiro.
    I'm pretty sure It's more ownership then it is Duquette. Ownership for the Orioles is a joke.

  10. #5578
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,997
    Thanks
    14,160
    Thanked 5,858 Times in 3,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Oh, and LOL @ the Orioles for thinking they were buyers

    At least our FO knows the difference
    The O's did well. They control Beckham next year for if and when they decline the J.J. Hardy option. Of course, they could have had Machado playing shortstop this whole time but that's a different story.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

  11. #5579
    MVP jaysblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,303
    Thanks
    1,580
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    Might as well get Vancouver c's season tickets then if you don't give a shit about the quality of baseball you watch
    Padres play other good MLB teams you know.

  12. #5580
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,206
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'd like to know what they were offered but the Jays managed to turn a shitty starting pitcher in to a guy who should be able to start in RF next season. You'd have to imagine that the Astros would have done the same deal minus Aoki for Hand. They do have him for two more years but I'll be surprised if the market for him actually increases.
    We're in serious trouble if Hernandez is our starting RF to begin the year. At the very least, we need a strong side platoon player.

  13. #5581
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,206
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    Still can't believe Rogers wanted to hire Dan Duquette. We got lucky with Shapiro.
    Duquette has done very well with the hand that he was dealt in my opinion. They have a meddling owner who won't let him sign international players and probably wouldn't let him sell at the deadline either.

  14. #5582
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    2,140
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    We're in serious trouble if Hernandez is our starting RF to begin the year. At the very least, we need a strong side platoon player.
    That's what I thought but a lot of what I read seems to think he could do it. Maybe he'd be better suited for the 4th OF spot to start.

  15. #5583
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,039
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 523 Times in 353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    We're in serious trouble if Hernandez is our starting RF to begin the year. At the very least, we need a strong side platoon player.
    That's an exaggeration, you don't know how good he can be until he's given a chance.

    The FO thinks Hernandez can play everyday, and he was blocked with the Astros so his chances to play were limited there.

  16. #5584
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,553
    Thanks
    711
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    Duquette has done very well with the hand that he was dealt in my opinion. They have a meddling owner who won't let him sign international players and probably wouldn't let him sell at the deadline either.
    A good executive would be able to convince the owner on what needs to be done in order for the Franchise to be successful. Just because Angelos is a moron doesn't give Duqette a free pass. That Helickson trade was stupid as hell anyway plus Angelos apparently gave approval to trade the relievers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •