Results 8,337 to 8,352 of 8354

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Thats what i said.... if he could stay healthy
    No, it's actually not Jim. That's okay, everyone else sees you were wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    People inflating their thanks count scoring easy points off of Jim's stupidity ITT right now. JD for Morrow, Atkins make it happen now pls.
    I post on my phone and don't see my "thanks" so that's never my intention. I am merely just calling out dumb opinions.
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,728 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Man, I can't remember there ever being an offseason this slow before. There's going to be some players starting to panic real soon I think.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Man, I can't remember there ever being an offseason this slow before. There's going to be some players starting to panic real soon I think.
    One factor that hasn't really been mentioned is that teams could be trying to save money for the 2018/19 free agent bonanza.

Whatever the reason, it could turn out well for the Jays - both by picking up some bargains, and being offered a sweet deal for JD either now or at the trade deadline.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 708 Posts
    I think it's a combination of saving money for next winter, and also that more and more teams are hiring people who think the same way, so the perceived value of players is probably similar across every team. So in previous years where someone (I'm looking at you, Dumbrowski) would give a one dimensional player or a 30 year old starting pitcher a 7-10 year deal just because, that sort of thing won't happen now because front offices are filled with saber geeks. We just happen to have an off season where the best free agents are in their 30's or have significant flaws so that might explain some of the standstill, whereas next year with Harper, Machado, etc, there won't be any question about their value, it's just about giving them the most money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    To be fair to Jim, in 2010, Morrow was on pace for 5 WAR/200 innings, 3.6 WAR/200 in 2011 and 3.9 WAR/200 innings in 2012. That's basically the same as Stroman in 2014, 2016, 2017. I think those are #1/#2 numbers.

That said - I think it's a stretch to think Morrow would still be a top of the rotation guy in 2018.
    Well we will never know because he is not durable enough as a starter, which is what I have said all along. Morrow is just another pitcher with front of the rotation stuff that can't stay healthy as a starter. There have been many, many. And that's all I have said.

Also I said "a No. 1 or 2 starter on many teams", not top of the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 5,018 Posts
    I'd take Happ + Almora for JD. Cubbies could play Bryant in the OF and JD at 3rd. Then deal Pillar to the Giants when they fail to land Billy Hamilton.
    Gross. Almora fucking blows and Happ doesn't look like anything special. Surely we could get something better elsewhere. We should deal JD to the Reds for Jesse Winker +
    Last edited by Boxcar; 12-31-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

MVP
    Thanks
    Gross. Almora fucking blows and Happy doesn't look like anything special. Surely we could get something better elsewhere. We should deal JD to the Reds for Jesse Winker +
    What don't you like about Happ? He just put up 24 home runs and a 113 wRC+ (1.8 WAR) in 2/3 of a rookie season at age 22, while almost skipping AAA. He also played average to above average defense.

Thanks
    What don't you like about Happ? He just put up 24 home runs and a 113 wRC+ (1.8 WAR) in 2/3 of a rookie season at age 22, while almost skipping AAA. He also played average to above average defense.
    Strikes out too much, not especially young, projected to be about average next year. I don't trust less than a year's worth of defensive metrics, and neither should you. I don't think he's bad player, he's just nothing special.
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Boxy guys are ones that show everything in the minors and do nothing in the majors...not the other way around.

With that said, I'm not a huge Happ guy either. He's Neil Walker without the contact
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

MVP
    Thanks
    Strikes out too much, not especially young, projected to be about average next year. I don't trust less than a year's worth of defensive metrics, and neither should you. I don't think he's bad player, he's just nothing special.
    The Ks are a little concerning, but the walk rate is there too which helps. But not especially young? He just completed his first season at age 22. I mean, he's not a teenage prodigy, but he's ahead of most guys who come up. He's also a full year younger than Winker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 991 Posts
    Gross. Almora fucking blows and Happ doesn't look like anything special. Surely we could get something better elsewhere. We should deal JD to the Reds for Jesse Winker +
    I assume you're trolling. Reds aren't trading for JD and what do you like/see in Winker?

I kind of think a package like Almora, Happ + a lottery ticket in Aramis Ademan or something like that might be the best we can get for an expiring contract.
    Last edited by Brownie19; 12-31-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Boxy guys are ones that show everything in the minors and do nothing in the majors...not the other way around.

With that said, I'm not a huge Happ guy either. He's Neil Walker without the contact
    Matt Olson
    Greg Bird
    Jesse Winker
    Jameson Taillon
    Kyle Hendricks

Who isn't getting it done here, you turd?
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,378 Posts
    I assume you're trolling. Reds aren't trading for JD and what do you like/see in Winker?

I kind of think a package like Almora, Happ + a lottery ticket in Aramis Ademan or something like that might be the best we can get for an expiring contract.
    Ademan is probably the Cubs' top prospect.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Ademan is probably the Cubs' top prospect.
    Perfect!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

P2F (12-31-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Well we will never know because he is not durable enough as a starter, which is what I have said all along. Morrow is just another pitcher with front of the rotation stuff that can't stay healthy as a starter. There have been many, many. And that's all I have said.

Also I said "a No. 1 or 2 starter on many teams", not top of the rotation.
    Sweet back peddle Jim.

So you're confident in him being a No. 1 or 2 starter on many teams, just like Dan Straily and Wei-Yen Chen? Gotcha bud.