• DET
    KC
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • DET
    KC
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • BAL
    CLE
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • PHI
    PIT
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • NYY
    TOR
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • TB
    MIN
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • ATL
    NYM
    Preview
    7:35 PM ET
  • TEX
    SEA
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • CWS
    HOU
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • MIL
    MIA
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • STL
    CIN
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • COL
    CHC
    Preview
    8:40 PM ET
  • ARI
    SD
    Preview
    9:40 PM ET
  • OAK
    BOS
    Preview
    10:05 PM ET
  • LAA
    SF
    Preview
    10:07 PM ET
  • LAD
    WSH
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 230 of 523 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280330 ... LastLast
Results 3,665 to 3,680 of 8354

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

  1. #3665
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,772
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I have always avoided California because I can't do absurdly hot weather, but I will have to bite the bullet one year and go in September. I'll go back to Pittsburgh again before I ever do Arizona, Houston, or Arlington, that's for sure. Busch Stadium was very nice, but the weather kind of ruined it for everyone since it was like 40 C.
    The San Francisco should be up your alley. It's nothing like SoCal weather. Some days in the mid summer it's downright cold.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

    Grant77 (05-14-2017)

  3. #3666
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,299
    Thanks
    526
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    San Francisco is NorCal; its not even hot, in fact it can actually be pretty chilly. September is like jacket weather in San Francisco LOL.
    I'm going to try to hit all 4 stadiums if I go. California holds little interest for me outside of baseball. Cold weather would be a nice treat for sure!

  4. #3667
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,861
    Thanks
    719
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Pretty cool ceremony in NY for Jeter.

  5. #3668
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,861
    Thanks
    719
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I'm going to try to hit all 4 stadiums if I go. California holds little interest for me outside of baseball. Cold weather would be a nice treat for sure!
    San Diego has the most pefect weather. Its like 75 Degrees there every day. (25-28 C)

  6. #3669
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Courtice, Ontario
    Posts
    15,129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Pretty cool ceremony in NY for Jeter.
    Maybe it's just me but I felt it was strange to do the jersey retirement ceremony on Mothers Day. You would think they would pick another day.

    Astros spoiling the party. 6-0 already!

  7. #3670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
    Aroldis Chapman out at least a month.

  8. #3671
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    252
    Thanked 191 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I felt it was strange to do the jersey retirement ceremony on Mothers Day. You would think they would pick another day.

    Astros spoiling the party. 6-0 already!
    Jeter was aloud to pick any day and he chose today for his mother.

  9. #3672
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Yankees getting mollywhopped

  10. #3673
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,299
    Thanks
    526
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 712 Posts
    Aaron Laffey called up by the D-Backs. At least our pitching situation never got THAT bad!

  11. #3674
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    6,068
    Thanks
    1,966
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Couple of interesting articles

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-...-jake-arrieta/

    I wanted to ask:

    1. Has Arrieta always thrown across his body THAT much? Maybe it's the angle, but I never thought it was that pronounced.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jake-...not-been-good/

    Fangraphs stealing my material again. Pats self on back. Man I'm observant!

  12. #3675
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,415
    Thanks
    5,780
    Thanked 10,406 Times in 6,085 Posts

  13. #3676
    Blue Chip Prospect MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,455
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 646 Times in 352 Posts
    His reasoning to pick Carrera is retarded but I bet if you crunch some numbers, it's actually a really good pick. Carrera doesn't walk and Colon doesn't strike people out so you're basically guaranteed 3 balls in play in that matchup alone. The odds of one falling in were probably pretty decent. Then you get 1 or 2 more ABs rest of game.

  14. #3677
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    20,762
    Thanks
    3,925
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 3,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    His reasoning to pick Carrera is retarded but I bet if you crunch some numbers, it's actually a really good pick. Carrera doesn't walk and Colon doesn't strike people out so you're basically guaranteed 3 balls in play in that matchup alone. The odds of one falling in were probably pretty decent. Then you get 1 or 2 more ABs rest of game.
    He's also a career .261 hitter who projects around the same mark. You also can't say "he's been hot so it's a good pick" because one game is all it takes to turn a hot streak into a cold streak and vice versa. At a high BABIP, you should expect regression. When in doubt, don't pick the career scrub with millions on the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  15. #3678
    Blue Chip Prospect MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,455
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 646 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    He's also a career .261 hitter who projects around the same mark. You also can't say "he's been hot so it's a good pick" because one game is all it takes to turn a hot streak into a cold streak and vice versa. At a high BABIP, you should expect regression. When in doubt, don't pick the career scrub with millions on the line.
    Actually the guy over at BaseballMusings who tried to write a program for BTS had Zeke and Pillar as his top 2 options for yesterday. It does make sense to pick guys who don't walk or K vs a pitcher who doesn't walk or K.

  16. #3679
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    20,762
    Thanks
    3,925
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 3,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Actually the guy over at BaseballMusings who tried to write a program for BTS had Zeke and Pillar as his top 2 options for yesterday. It does make sense to pick guys who don't walk or K vs a pitcher who doesn't walk or K.
    I can see the argument for Pillar. He's been a high contact, low walks player his entire professional career. The guy picked Carrera because he had a high average but wasn't sure about Pillar. If you were going with that reasoning, why not pick Kendrys Morales instead? Actually strikes out less, walks just a tad more, but unlike Carrera he's actually a good hitter and would have been a better bet against a mediocre pitcher who throws only fastballs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  17. #3680
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    918
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 528 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    I can see the argument for Pillar. He's been a high contact, low walks player his entire professional career. The guy picked Carrera because he had a high average but wasn't sure about Pillar. If you were going with that reasoning, why not pick Kendrys Morales instead? Actually strikes out less, walks just a tad more, but unlike Carrera he's actually a good hitter and would have been a better bet against a mediocre pitcher who throws only fastballs.
    Wrong. Kendrys is notorious for losing an absurd amount of hits every year due to shifts and the fact that he can't run worth crap. He hits a lot of balls on the ground for outs that would be hits for guys like Carrera. He'd actually be among the worst picks for a BTS type game for these reasons.

    Again, his pick on Carrera made sense...even with the obvious risk. You don't get to 50+ picks in those things by picking guys like Trout every day, regardless of how much sense it makes to pick "elite hitters".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •