Preview
    8:05 PM ET
Page 226 of 408 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,616 of 6519

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I think it's time for everyone to acknowledge that the Orioles are competently run. They field some unique teams, but I don't think you stumble on a 5-year run of success like they have, in the AL East, with a weak payroll, if your management isn't sound.
    I think they are competent but also lucky. They put together teams that should be .500 or above every year and somehow end up beating their Pytho W-L record every year by a long shot. The only year they truly were a legit 90+ win team was in 2014 when they somehow got outstanding pitching (from Tillman, Chen, Bud Norris, Miguel Gonzalez who all dramatically beat their FIPs) to counter what was a down year hitting for them. But they have a good defense and good bullpen. That's what the Royals did too. Maybe there is something to be said for building 85 win teams with elite bullpens and defenses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 897 Posts
    I think it's time for everyone to acknowledge that the Orioles are competently run. They field some unique teams, but I don't think you stumble on a 5-year run of success like they have, in the AL East, with a weak payroll, if your management isn't sound.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,163 Times in 7,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think they are competent but also lucky. They put together teams that should be .500 or above every year and somehow end up beating their Pytho W-L record every year by a long shot. The only year they truly were a legit 90+ win team was in 2014 when they somehow got outstanding pitching (from Tillman, Chen, Bud Norris, Miguel Gonzalez who all dramatically beat their FIPs) to counter what was a down year hitting for them. But they have a good defense and good bullpen. That's what the Royals did too. Maybe there is something to be said for building 85 win teams with elite bullpens and defenses.
    It's interesting that the Royals and Orioles both had great bullpens and mediocre starters, partly a result of not being able to compete financially for high-end starting pitching. They also both had very good infield defense. The Royals have a big park, and also loaded up on OF defense and contact hitters. The Orioles have a more HR friendly park, and filled their OF with high-power strikeout guys who can't really defend. Maybe Baltimore found that OF defense wasn't efficient for them given not just their park, but the bandboxes in their division?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    They have $53M tied up on DL with $121M toward their active roster.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
    Mariners are just below us.. and 4 of their 5 starters are on the DL.

This weekend's rotation for the Mariners are De Jong, Overton, Bergman and Miranda.. if the Jays don't take 3/4 or sweep this series, something is not right..

Thanks
    It's interesting that the Royals and Orioles both had great bullpens and mediocre starters, partly a result of not being able to compete financially for high-end starting pitching. They also both had very good infield defense. The Royals have a big park, and also loaded up on OF defense and contact hitters. The Orioles have a more HR friendly park, and filled their OF with high-power strikeout guys who can't really defend. Maybe Baltimore found that OF defense wasn't efficient for them given not just their park, but the bandboxes in their division?
    I feel like this makes a lot of sense, but I don't know if this is actually the team's rationale for doing what they've done. Perhaps it's possible that a data-driven front office could end up with same conclusions and a similar roster given the situation, but I'm hesitant to award that credit to Duquette and co.
    "You want to sit next to Donaldson on the airplane. Sit next to him on the bench. Just rub him off, cause he is smoking hot right now."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Muck Bartinez For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,163 Times in 7,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Bartinez View Post
    I feel like this makes a lot of sense, but I don't know if this is actually the team's rationale for doing what they've done. Perhaps it's possible that a data-driven front office could end up with same conclusions and a similar roster given the situation, but I'm hesitant to award that credit to Duquette and co.
    What makes their team construction so interesting is that OF defense has been undervalued during the time that they've been pursuing statues who slug. They could have presumably chosen to fill their OF with 1-2 WAR speedy defensive types instead of 1-2 WAR sluggers at similar cost, but have pretty consistently chosen the slugger over a period of many years. There must be some reasonably informed argument for this, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan2014 View Post
    Mariners are just below us.. and 4 of their 5 starters are on the DL.

This weekend's rotation for the Mariners are De Jong, Overton, Bergman and Miranda.. if the Jays don't take 3/4 or sweep this series, something is not right..
    That something might be the Jays having JD, Tulo, Morales, Martin, Happ and Sanchez all on the DL.

Thanks
    Stat of the day.

The Padres offensive WAR leaderboard goes as follows:

Margot 1.0
    Myers 0.8
    Schimpf 0.4
    Cahill 0.2
    Chacin 0.1
    C. Richards 0.1

Thanks
    Another good one.

Cody Bellinger has been more valuable (WAR) in 60 PA's than any hitter on the Jays.

All Star
    Thanks
    Agreed. I hate the O's more than any other team but 3 playoff appearances in 5 years and first place so far in year 6 of their run. Duquette and Buck know what they are doing, even if the roster consistently looks average.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Cubs lost 3-0 yesterday (Holland with his 14th save already!) to drop to .500 and are 4th in their division. What looked like a cake walk for them is shaping up to be a real battle (as for the Red Sox in the ALE).

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,871 Times in 2,623 Posts
    James Wagner‏Verified account @ByJamesWagner 51m51 minutes ago

Mets announce Jeurys Familia diagnosed w/ arterial clot in R shoulder. To see Dr. Thompson in St. Louis for tests & possible surgery.

Thanks
    Snap

Thanks
    Thanked 6,604 Times in 4,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    James Wagner‏Verified account @ByJamesWagner 51m51 minutes ago

Mets announce Jeurys Familia diagnosed w/ arterial clot in R shoulder. To see Dr. Thompson in St. Louis for tests & possible surgery.
    JFC the Mets have had terrible luck with injuries this year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    JFC the Mets have had terrible luck with injuries this year.
    Crazy bad luck

Plus assholes causing trouble unnecessarily

Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 699 Posts
    Christian Vazquez literally just threw his bat on a pitch way down and away to make contact on a hit and run. Very well may have been a wild pitch if he had held back.