Page 428 of 428 FirstFirst ... 328378418426427428
Results 6,833 to 6,848 of 6848

Thread: Around Baseball 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 7,783 Times in 4,853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    At least Dusty Baker got fired again. I couldn't understand for the life of me why the Washington FO ever thought he would be a good fit for a young, dynamic team.
    Because Washington has a terrible front office who lucked out with Stras, Bryce and Rendon and then just threw money at the rest of their problems. They are more Yankees than the actual Yankees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,689 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Because Washington has a terrible front office who lucked out with Stras, Bryce and Rendon and then just threw money at the rest of their problems. They are more Yankees than the actual Yankees.
    It's so true. They gave Scherzer a contract that by all rights could have turned into an albatross (may yet still, but he's been a god so far), and Daniel Murphy has panned out far better than anyone could have anticipated. They sucked butts for years and fell into several generational talents (Stras & Harper). Meh. They have one more year of Harper, then it all goes haywire.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,211 Posts
    It's so true. They gave Scherzer a contract that by all rights could have turned into an albatross (may yet still, but he's been a god so far), and Daniel Murphy has panned out far better than anyone could have anticipated. They sucked butts for years and fell into several generational talents (Stras & Harper). Meh. They have one more year of Harper, then it all goes haywire.
    Can you imagine only getting a draft pick back for a Harper leaving?

Do you trade him in the offseason?
    Trade him midseason?
    Resign to a monstrous deal for 400 million dollars over the next 12 years that will inevitably suck?
    Or keep him all year and let him go, getting only a draft pick as compensation?

Are any of those even what you would call good options?

If you're Washington, you basically have to decide which one of those sucks the least
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 766 Posts
    With that expansion talk I can imagine the Washington ownership would send that team back to Montreal and take the new franchise in two years, lol. "Alright we got the good years out of the turnip franchise and left it as a dumpster fire, time to start fresh!"

All Star
    Thanks
    Holy fuck, an entire post from you being positive about John Gibbons.

Like...what?!
    I'm just as shocked as you are. Maybe I'm warming up to the Gibbster and his DGAF personality.

Either way, I'm scared.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    I'm just as shocked as you are. Maybe I'm warming up to the Gibbster and his DGAF personality.

Either way, I'm scared.
    It's funny, just as the casual fanbase is really starting to hate him, this board acknowledges his adequacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,689 Times in 4,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post

Trade him midseason?
    Resign to a monstrous deal for 400 million dollars over the next 12 years that will inevitably suck?

If you're Washington, you basically have to decide which one of those sucks the least
    There's no way they can trade him in the offseason, they are WS contenders. He won't sign an extension until he hits FA. Basically they just need to accept the fact that they only have him for 2018, and if for some reason they fall out of the playoff hunt, they could trade him as a rental. They may be able to ultimately re-sign him in FA, but we all assume it will be a record contract.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,783 Times in 4,853 Posts

Trade him midseason?

I'd be floored if Bryce doesn't go to free agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,782 Times in 3,301 Posts
    At least Dusty Baker got fired again. I couldn't understand for the life of me why the Washington FO ever thought he would be a good fit for a young, dynamic team.
    I firmly believe that the in game decisions of a manager make virtually zero difference in baseball but I have to believe that the Nats just got better.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    I think he goes to FA...but ends up re-upping with the Nats
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 5,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I firmly believe that the in game decisions of a manager make virtually zero difference in baseball but I have to believe that the Nats just got better.
    lol
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    25 years ago today the Jays host the first World Series game outside the US.

Looking forward to Tuesday March 1st, 2018 > Blue Jays @ Phillies 1:05pm, Clearwater FLA >>Grapefruit League begins.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

G-Snarls (Today),KingKat (10-20-2017),Pinkfloid (10-21-2017),Spanky99 (10-20-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,211 Posts
    As would I, which really is the absolute worst case scenario for Washington. 1 draft pick for a generational talent leaving. Seems like the "best" of the shitty options is actually resign him to a gigantic contract that you know eventually becomes an albatross. I can't fathom the backlash that would happen if he was traded before the end of next season.

I actually hope for the trade just for the firestorm it would create
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 5,949 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    25 years ago today the Jays host the first World Series game outside the US.

The nostalgia... mmmm
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    As would I, which really is the absolute worst case scenario for Washington. 1 draft pick for a generational talent leaving. Seems like the "best" of the shitty options is actually resign him to a gigantic contract that you know eventually becomes an albatross. I can't fathom the backlash that would happen if he was traded before the end of next season.

I actually hope for the trade just for the firestorm it would create
    Essentially it's ARod and Seattle.

Did everyone know that both the Cards and Angels will be paying Pujols over $1M a year until 2030 (Angels on a Personal Services Contract for 10 years after he retires, Cards deferred $9M and will pay him $1.2M a year starting 2020)

Lastly Chocolate Thunder throwing out the first pitch in a NC playoff game is a personal fave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 766 Posts
    There's no way they can trade him in the offseason, they are WS contenders. He won't sign an extension until he hits FA. Basically they just need to accept the fact that they only have him for 2018, and if for some reason they fall out of the playoff hunt, they could trade him as a rental. They may be able to ultimately re-sign him in FA, but we all assume it will be a record contract.
    Somewhere out there, there is a Jimcanuck Nationals fan hoping and praying for a 10-30 start next year so they trade Harper and have a better shot at being good in 2022.