• NYY
    OAK
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • TOR
    TEX
    Preview
    1:07 PM ET
  • CLE
    KC
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • MIA
    LAA
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • PHI
    CIN
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • WSH
    SD
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • BOS
    SEA
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • MIL
    ARI
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • HOU
    BAL
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • CWS
    DET
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • MIN
    TB
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • COL
    STL
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
  • SF
    ATL
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • LAD
    CHC
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • PIT
    NYM
    Preview
    8:00 PM ET
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 64 of 1543

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #49
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,669
    Thanks
    13,732
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I really believe the Jays are fully waiting out Bautista at this point and will only sign him when they are 100% certain they aren't getting a comp pick for him in return and presumably still have the hole to fill. Maybe that's Feb. 1st or something but I'd reckon they have a timeline in mind. Honestly, if he waits it out until June I'll be disappointed that we didn't sign him. This talk about trading for Cutch as a bounceback candidate seems so redundant when we have Bautista available to us.
    If that's the case, shouldn't they insure themselves a bit against the possibility of Bautista going elsewhere? Angel Pagan is nobody's idea of a big signing but he can actually play the OF unlike Bautista these days. Pagan's a fit and he's just sitting there. Is it worth it to lift your nose at him just to wait out the possibility of signing Bautista?
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

  2. #50
    Blue Chip Prospect Sorrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    921
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 246 Times in 172 Posts
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

    Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.

  3. #51
    Big Leaguer Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,599
    Thanks
    876
    Thanked 870 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

    Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.
    Probably would be a cool experience too.

  4. #52
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,669
    Thanks
    13,732
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

  5. #53
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,867
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    Yeah he was pathetic in AAA last year. I don't even think he's replacement level.

  6. #54
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    4,592
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    You're reaching... Blair's own ideas can be dumb as fuck but I'm pretty sure he's capable of relaying a rumor.
    Possibly. Let me hate on Blair in peace please.

  7. #55
    All Star THANOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bowmanville, ON
    Posts
    4,558
    Thanks
    3,229
    Thanked 462 Times in 348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.

  8. #56
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,114
    Thanks
    3,274
    Thanked 11,721 Times in 6,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  9. #57
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,669
    Thanks
    13,732
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 3,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Last edited by KingKat; 01-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

    LetTheBallFly (01-09-2017),Stangstag (01-09-2017),THANOS (01-09-2017)

  11. #58
    MVP Stangstag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,327
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    I wouldn't. I'd rather sign one of the FA outfield options, or trade for a salary dump

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stangstag For This Useful Post:

    THANOS (01-09-2017)

  13. #59
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,237
    Thanks
    543
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

    For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.

  14. #60
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33,519
    Thanks
    36,441
    Thanked 7,029 Times in 5,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    *Pearce*

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (01-09-2017)

  16. #61
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    4,592
    Thanks
    1,507
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

    For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.

  17. #62
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,985
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    I'd rather just sign Bautista for a little bit more money and keep Vlad.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

    THANOS (01-09-2017)

  19. #63
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,985
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.
    I think we are starting to see it with trades. More teams are reluctant to trade their top position player prospects but seem not to concerned with the pitching prospects. WSH kept Robbles and out of the big trades the White Sox made 4 of the best 5 prospects were pitchers.

    The Cubs and Astros paved the way by targeting position players.

  20. #64
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,546
    Thanks
    3,119
    Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Vlad's upside is nice, but he's super far away, and there are already big question marks about his future position. He's likely to never provide the kind of value that McCutchen will provide in the next two years. There's a chance you trade him and that he becomes a spittin image of Vlad Sr. yes, but the odds are strongly against him. There's plenty of big name IFA signings with prodigious power and seemingly excellent bat to ball skills that flamed out. If the Pirates offer you McCutchen for Vlad Jr. + Matt Smoral and some other C or D level prospect I think you take it and run.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •