Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I really believe the Jays are fully waiting out Bautista at this point and will only sign him when they are 100% certain they aren't getting a comp pick for him in return and presumably still have the hole to fill. Maybe that's Feb. 1st or something but I'd reckon they have a timeline in mind. Honestly, if he waits it out until June I'll be disappointed that we didn't sign him. This talk about trading for Cutch as a bounceback candidate seems so redundant when we have Bautista available to us.
    If that's the case, shouldn't they insure themselves a bit against the possibility of Bautista going elsewhere? Angel Pagan is nobody's idea of a big signing but he can actually play the OF unlike Bautista these days. Pagan's a fit and he's just sitting there. Is it worth it to lift your nose at him just to wait out the possibility of signing Bautista?

Thanks
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.
    Probably would be a cool experience too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    Yeah he was pathetic in AAA last year. I don't even think he's replacement level.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 976 Posts
    You're reaching... Blair's own ideas can be dumb as fuck but I'm pretty sure he's capable of relaying a rumor.
    Possibly. Let me hate on Blair in peace please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 7,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Last edited by KingKat; 01-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (01-09-2017),Stangstag (01-09-2017),THANOS (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 979 Posts
    I wouldn't. I'd rather sign one of the FA outfield options, or trade for a salary dump

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stangstag For This Useful Post:

THANOS (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 875 Posts
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 6,108 Posts
    *Pearce*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,516 Posts
    I'd rather just sign Bautista for a little bit more money and keep Vlad.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

THANOS (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.
    I think we are starting to see it with trades. More teams are reluctant to trade their top position player prospects but seem not to concerned with the pitching prospects. WSH kept Robbles and out of the big trades the White Sox made 4 of the best 5 prospects were pitchers.

The Cubs and Astros paved the way by targeting position players.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,886 Posts
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Vlad's upside is nice, but he's super far away, and there are already big question marks about his future position. He's likely to never provide the kind of value that McCutchen will provide in the next two years. There's a chance you trade him and that he becomes a spittin image of Vlad Sr. yes, but the odds are strongly against him. There's plenty of big name IFA signings with prodigious power and seemingly excellent bat to ball skills that flamed out. If the Pirates offer you McCutchen for Vlad Jr. + Matt Smoral and some other C or D level prospect I think you take it and run.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez