Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 64 of 186

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #49
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,740
    Thanks
    13,043
    Thanked 5,364 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I really believe the Jays are fully waiting out Bautista at this point and will only sign him when they are 100% certain they aren't getting a comp pick for him in return and presumably still have the hole to fill. Maybe that's Feb. 1st or something but I'd reckon they have a timeline in mind. Honestly, if he waits it out until June I'll be disappointed that we didn't sign him. This talk about trading for Cutch as a bounceback candidate seems so redundant when we have Bautista available to us.
    If that's the case, shouldn't they insure themselves a bit against the possibility of Bautista going elsewhere? Angel Pagan is nobody's idea of a big signing but he can actually play the OF unlike Bautista these days. Pagan's a fit and he's just sitting there. Is it worth it to lift your nose at him just to wait out the possibility of signing Bautista?
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  2. #50
    Blue Chip Prospect Sorrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 237 Times in 165 Posts
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

    Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.

  3. #51
    Big Leaguer Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,858
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked 621 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.

    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...001700315.html

    Can't blame him, 50k signing bonus and 600k+ salary.
    Probably would be a cool experience too.

  4. #52
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,740
    Thanks
    13,043
    Thanked 5,364 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Andy Burns signs in the KBO freeing a spot on the 40 man roster and leaving is slightly less depthy on utility players.
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  5. #53
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,354
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    Yeah he was pathetic in AAA last year. I don't even think he's replacement level.

  6. #54
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    3,875
    Thanks
    1,274
    Thanked 939 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    You're reaching... Blair's own ideas can be dumb as fuck but I'm pretty sure he's capable of relaying a rumor.
    Possibly. Let me hate on Blair in peace please.

  7. #55
    All Star THANOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bowmanville, ON
    Posts
    4,414
    Thanks
    2,956
    Thanked 428 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.

  8. #56
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20,256
    Thanks
    2,973
    Thanked 10,960 Times in 6,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    Yeah... fuck that in its ass.
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  9. #57
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,740
    Thanks
    13,043
    Thanked 5,364 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Last edited by KingKat; 01-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

    LetTheBallFly (01-09-2017),Stangstag (01-09-2017),THANOS (01-09-2017)

  11. #58
    MVP Stangstag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,086
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    I wouldn't. I'd rather sign one of the FA outfield options, or trade for a salary dump

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stangstag For This Useful Post:

    THANOS (01-09-2017)

  13. #59
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,963
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

    For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.

  14. #60
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29,758
    Thanks
    33,523
    Thanked 6,491 Times in 5,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I don't think the hit on infield depth is all that significant. He's not that good and the Jays some good backups in place and some good depth through the system and with Pearse they have a guy who can shift between the OF and IF if needed and that really helps lengthen the bench.
    *Pearce*

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (01-09-2017)

  16. #61
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    3,875
    Thanks
    1,274
    Thanked 939 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Depends on what the goal is? If the goal is, field a competitive team in 2017 and be damned with the future, then I guess they would. But if they're looking to rebuild the core and have some young, controllable talent on the horizon, then no...you have to keep Junior and wait it out.

    For me, I keep him. I'd like to see a young core (Cubs) get built, and then augment that with veteran talent. I've been saying it for more than a decade. Built internally, then when you have a nice core established, bring in veteran leadership and talent to fill in some outstanding holes and round out the roster.
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.

  17. #62
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,454
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    You wouldn't trade Vlad for Cutch?
    I'd rather just sign Bautista for a little bit more money and keep Vlad.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

    THANOS (01-09-2017)

  19. #63
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,454
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I'm curious to see if more teams start following the Cubs and draft/collect young positional players instead of pitchers. I get that pitching wins championships, but they are so f'ing volatile. Drafting positional players isn't a sure thing - but the rate of success of 1st and 2nd round positional players must be significantly higher than it is for pitchers. Increase the rate of success in your draft and use them and FA money to sign/trade for pitchers when the time is right.
    I think we are starting to see it with trades. More teams are reluctant to trade their top position player prospects but seem not to concerned with the pitching prospects. WSH kept Robbles and out of the big trades the White Sox made 4 of the best 5 prospects were pitchers.

    The Cubs and Astros paved the way by targeting position players.

  20. #64
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,870
    Thanks
    2,833
    Thanked 3,534 Times in 2,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    It's fine in a vacuum but do you really want to trade a guy with Vlad's upside at this juncture? I think that's more likely to set the franchise back than pay off.
    Vlad's upside is nice, but he's super far away, and there are already big question marks about his future position. He's likely to never provide the kind of value that McCutchen will provide in the next two years. There's a chance you trade him and that he becomes a spittin image of Vlad Sr. yes, but the odds are strongly against him. There's plenty of big name IFA signings with prodigious power and seemingly excellent bat to ball skills that flamed out. If the Pirates offer you McCutchen for Vlad Jr. + Matt Smoral and some other C or D level prospect I think you take it and run.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •