LAA
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
Page 5 of 170 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 10,267 Times in 6,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    Vlad's upside is nice, but he's super far away, and there are already big question marks about his future position. He's likely to never provide the kind of value that McCutchen will provide in the next two years. There's a chance you trade him and that he becomes a spittin image of Vlad Sr. yes, but the odds are strongly against him. There's plenty of big name IFA signings with prodigious power and seemingly excellent bat to ball skills that flamed out. If the Pirates offer you McCutchen for Vlad Jr. + Matt Smoral and some other C or D level prospect I think you take it and run.
    Smoral is in the Rangers system now, FYI

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Vlad's upside is nice, but he's super far away, and there are already big question marks about his future position. He's likely to never provide the kind of value that McCutchen will provide in the next two years. There's a chance you trade him and that he becomes a spittin image of Vlad Sr. yes, but the odds are strongly against him. There's plenty of big name IFA signings with prodigious power and seemingly excellent bat to ball skills that flamed out. If the Pirates offer you McCutchen for Vlad Jr. + Matt Smoral and some other C or D level prospect I think you take it and run.

Smoral is with Texas now

Thanks
    Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Smoral is in the Rangers system now, FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp12 View Post
    Smoral is with Texas now
    Right, my bad. I just wanted to use some generic bust with okay upside in the system that isn't worth anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post
    Would be way worse than the Synder trade...like 100 times worse
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks
    2 years isn't super far away. McCutchen might not even put up replacement level stats in the next two years especially changing leagues and having to adjust
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 978 Posts
    The dumn is flying high today!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 978 Posts
    Anyone who honestly thinks elite hitters are subject to substantial drops in performance based on things like changing leagues and adjusting are so out of touch. These guys have the innate ability to make adjustments to 95 mph fastballs, so thinking that moving from the NL Central to the AL East would be cause for concern is so fucking stupid I want to pound my head against the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

burlingtonbandit (01-09-2017),GD (01-09-2017),Orgfiller (01-09-2017),Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    Anyone who honestly thinks elite hitters are subject to substantial drops in performance based on things like changing leagues and adjusting are so out of touch. These guys have the innate ability to make adjustments to 95 mph fastballs, so thinking that moving from the NL Central to the AL East would be cause for concern is so fucking stupid I want to pound my head against the wall.
    Maybe back 40 years ago but now with video you can literally see what any pitcher throws before you face them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    So he sucked last year because....

Edit: in terms to adjusting to 95 mph fastballs. He doesn't have the superstar hit tool anymore and it's obvious
    Last edited by LetTheBallFly; 01-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,745 Times in 3,273 Posts

Edit: in terms to adjusting to 95 mph fastballs. He doesn't have the superstar hit tool anymore and it's obvious
    Almost as obvious as it is that Vlad is a sure shot to win multiple MVPs
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    It's bad enough having to watch Thor from time to time. I can't see Shatkins being stupid enough to move Vlad.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Better value than McCutchen for 2 years...imo

Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 5,891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    It's bad enough having to watch Thor from time to time. I can't see Shatkins being stupid enough to move Vlad.
    So Vladdy's a sure shot?

Thanks

Hit well in the second half and finish the season hitting like he generally does. A lot of his defensive woes were apparently from positioning though a nagging injury could also have contributed.

I'm not sure if I'd move Vlad Jr for McCutchen if it's like Vlad Jr. ++ but as a straight up trade it couldn't really hurt.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorrow For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Hit well in the second half and finish the season hitting like he generally does. A lot of his defensive woes were apparently from positioning though a nagging injury could also have contributed.

I'm not sure if I'd move Vlad Jr for McCutchen if it's like Vlad Jr. ++ but as a straight up trade it couldn't really hurt.
    I don't think Pittsburgh would even consider straight up based on some of their reported asking prices. It just reminds me too much of the Dickey deal. Just way too much risk to be dealing top prospects for...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    So Vladdy's a sure shot?
    Of course not. Just pointing out the risk of Cutch/Vlad being a repeat of Dickey/Thor. Quite a risk to take even with Cutch making this team a 2nd tier contender (behind teams like the Cubs, Red Sox, Indians, Dodgers, Nats, Mets).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2017)