• PHI
    BAL
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • NYY
    DET
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • WSH
    HOU
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • TB
    MIN
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • MIA
    NYM
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • BOS
    NYY
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • ATL
    STL
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • PIT
    TOR
    Preview
    1:05 PM ET
  • TEX
    ARI
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • CIN
    CWS
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • OAK
    CLE
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • MIL
    KC
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • CHC
    LAA
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • CWS
    SEA
    Preview
    3:05 PM ET
  • COL
    LAD
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
  • SD
    SF
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 97 to 112 of 341

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #97
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,012
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 796 Times in 603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Just a list of similar seasons at that age (purely looking at wRC+).

    Nomar Mazara
    Jhailyn Ortiz
    Wander Javier (super small sample size because of injury)
    Ronald Guzman
    Miguel Sano
    Gary Sanchez
    Starling Heredia
    Rafael Rodriguez
    Johnathan Sierra
    Joel Guzman
    Gilberto Celestino
    Nelson Gomez
    Suely Matias
    Phillips Castillo

    That's just by searching the highest International bonuses. I like Vlad Jr. a lot. The K-Rate super impresses me. But there is nothing yet that leads us to believe he's an untradeable generational talent. His name is part of the helium on the hype.

    Again perception plays a role. When the Dickey trade happened there was positive thoughts about the team (falsely)...right now it seems like it would be a desperation move based on public/media perception of where the team is. Opinion of Vlad Jr is less of a factor at this point IMO. Opinion of what Cutch will be I can completely buy as a reason not to do the deal.
    Fair enough. As I said earlier, getting Cutch elevates the team to 2nd tier of contenders, still behind a fair number of teams - and at $14M leaves little room for other additions based on what I know of the budget.

    This team needs to adopt the 'long view', IMO.

  2. #98
    All Star L54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    4,196
    Thanks
    554
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    So he sucked last year because....


    Edit: in terms to adjusting to 95 mph fastballs. He doesn't have the superstar hit tool anymore and it's obvious
    You don't have to like the idea of trading Vlad Jr. for Cutch. Hell, I could make a decent argument not to (but I won't because I would do it straight up). But your reasoning behind it being that he might not even be a replacement level player moving forward because he would have to adjust to the Rick Porcello's of the world is egregious.

    You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but when your opinion is based off of foolishness it loses all credibility.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

    GD (01-10-2017),Spanky99 (01-10-2017)

  4. #99
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15,629
    Thanks
    681
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Spending time on a possible Cutch for Vlad deal straight up seems like a useless exercise. There has been nothing to suggest Toronto's FO is willing to make a prospect deal like this. And Pittsburgh is going to want a lot more than just Vlad Jr. straight up.

  5. #100
    MVP LetTheBallFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,900
    Thanks
    5,092
    Thanked 501 Times in 432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    You don't have to like the idea of trading Vlad Jr. for Cutch. Hell, I could make a decent argument not to (but I won't because I would do it straight up). But your reasoning behind it being that he might not even be a replacement level player moving forward because he would have to adjust to the Rick Porcello's of the world is egregious.

    You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but when your opinion is based off of foolishness it loses all credibility.
    I wasn't meaning that is why he would be replacement level...I was just pointing out that on top of how bad he was this year changing leagues will add another adjustment. The types of pitchers and quality of pitchers don't mean much, but how you are pitched to does change from NL to AL. Also, being less familiar with a certain pitcher does make a difference...is it a big difference, no, but if he doesn't improve on last season he could be dipping further below where he was. Changing leagues will have like a 1% impact on him and might go away fairly quickly.

    I wouldn't do the trade first of all because even when he was good I just didn't like McCutchen and 2nd...Vlad Jr will be more valuable over the length of his contract vs the 2 yrs from Cutch.
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

  6. #101
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    30,416
    Thanks
    34,241
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 5,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    I wasn't meaning that is why he would be replacement level...I was just pointing out that on top of how bad he was this year changing leagues will add another adjustment. The types of pitchers and quality of pitchers don't mean much, but how you are pitched to does change from NL to AL. Also, being less familiar with a certain pitcher does make a difference...is it a big difference, no, but if he doesn't improve on last season he could be dipping further below where he was. Changing leagues will have like a 1% impact on him and might go away fairly quickly.

    I wouldn't do the trade first of all because even when he was good I just didn't like McCutchen and 2nd...Vlad Jr will be more valuable over the length of his contract vs the 2 yrs from Cutch.
    Sounds a lot more sensible then your first post, pressure changed this. Stop it.

  7. #102
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
    lol Vlad is a 17-year old who had a great season in Rookie ball of all things. Calm down with the prospect overhype. And I like Vlad.

    Just for the record, I wouldn't trade Vlad anyways, nor do I think this Front Office is going to because

    A) We're clearly not going all-in for 2017, and its not like McCutchen puts us over the top or anything. If this was 2015 or pre-2016 season, I would've traded for Cutch in a heartbeat because we still had Edwin and Bautista and Cutch would've been worth it for going all in. Yeah we need 1-2 outfielders pretty badly, but there are still ways to address our outfield.

    B) Pirates are probably gonna wait until the trade deadline to flip Cutch since he'll likely bounce back and be more valuable. Get the sense the Pirates front office is just seeing what they can get for Cutch as a floor. He can't be worse than he was last season.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

    Krylian (01-10-2017),Spanky99 (01-10-2017)

  9. #103
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 991 Times in 668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    But there is nothing yet that leads us to believe he's an untradeable generational talent. His name is part of the helium on the hype.
    But what about those scouts who reported the ball "sounds" different coming off his bat?

  10. #104
    All Star jays_fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,253
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    lol Vlad is a 17-year old who had a great season in Rookie ball of all things. Calm down with the prospect overhype. And I like Vlad.

    Just for the record, I wouldn't trade Vlad anyways, nor do I think this Front Office is going to because

    A) We're clearly not going all-in for 2017, and its not like McCutchen puts us over the top or anything. If this was 2015 or pre-2016 season, I would've traded for Cutch in a heartbeat because we still had Edwin and Bautista and Cutch would've been worth it for going all in. Yeah we need 1-2 outfielders pretty badly, but there are still ways to address our outfield.

    B) Pirates are probably gonna wait until the trade deadline to flip Cutch since he'll likely bounce back and be more valuable. Get the sense the Pirates front office is just seeing what they can get for Cutch as a floor. He can't be worse than he was last season.
    Cutch puts us back in the wild card hunt and playoffs should always be the goal for a team that already has pieces in play to make it happen. Not trading Vlad JR for cutch is beyond ridiculous lol. The deal diddnt get done because of the extra pieces that would have been had to be included as well..not because the front office loves Vlad JR that much
    #FireCasey

  11. #105
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Cutch puts us back in the wild card hunt and playoffs should always be the goal for a team that already has pieces in play to make it happen. Not trading Vlad JR for cutch is beyond ridiculous lol. The deal diddnt get done because of the extra pieces that would have been had to be included as well..not because the front office loves Vlad JR that much
    That's the thing. It'll take a lot more than just Vlad to get this deal done. We're not going to get McCutchen with the main piece being someone who's 4-5 years away from reaching the majors, and literally just had half a good season. They're gonna want a haul that probably won't be worth it.

  12. #106
    MVP HERPDERP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,708
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Fuck Taylor Swift

  13. #107
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 187 Times in 90 Posts

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  15. #108
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,055
    Thanks
    2,885
    Thanked 3,597 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Aaron Sanchez continues setting unrealistic body standards for men.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

    GD (01-12-2017),P2F (01-12-2017),Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  17. #109
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    30,416
    Thanks
    34,241
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 5,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    Aaron Sanchez continues setting unrealistic body standards for men.
    lol

  18. #110
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,621
    Thanks
    1,630
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 911 Posts


    This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

  20. #111
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    30,416
    Thanks
    34,241
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 5,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post


    This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.
    lol... at the Stroman split. Plus, since that pic, he's gained 41 Lbs of muscle, bro!

  21. #112
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    14,064
    Thanks
    5,665
    Thanked 9,431 Times in 5,669 Posts
    Does anyone remember the Jimmy Paredes era?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •