SF
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Just a list of similar seasons at that age (purely looking at wRC+).

Nomar Mazara
    Jhailyn Ortiz
    Wander Javier (super small sample size because of injury)
    Ronald Guzman
    Miguel Sano
    Gary Sanchez
    Starling Heredia
    Rafael Rodriguez
    Johnathan Sierra
    Joel Guzman
    Gilberto Celestino
    Nelson Gomez
    Suely Matias
    Phillips Castillo

That's just by searching the highest International bonuses. I like Vlad Jr. a lot. The K-Rate super impresses me. But there is nothing yet that leads us to believe he's an untradeable generational talent. His name is part of the helium on the hype.

Again perception plays a role. When the Dickey trade happened there was positive thoughts about the team (falsely)...right now it seems like it would be a desperation move based on public/media perception of where the team is. Opinion of Vlad Jr is less of a factor at this point IMO. Opinion of what Cutch will be I can completely buy as a reason not to do the deal.
    Fair enough. As I said earlier, getting Cutch elevates the team to 2nd tier of contenders, still behind a fair number of teams - and at $14M leaves little room for other additions based on what I know of the budget.

This team needs to adopt the 'long view', IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    So he sucked last year because....

Edit: in terms to adjusting to 95 mph fastballs. He doesn't have the superstar hit tool anymore and it's obvious
    You don't have to like the idea of trading Vlad Jr. for Cutch. Hell, I could make a decent argument not to (but I won't because I would do it straight up). But your reasoning behind it being that he might not even be a replacement level player moving forward because he would have to adjust to the Rick Porcello's of the world is egregious.

You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but when your opinion is based off of foolishness it loses all credibility.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

GD (01-10-2017),Spanky99 (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Spending time on a possible Cutch for Vlad deal straight up seems like a useless exercise. There has been nothing to suggest Toronto's FO is willing to make a prospect deal like this. And Pittsburgh is going to want a lot more than just Vlad Jr. straight up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    You don't have to like the idea of trading Vlad Jr. for Cutch. Hell, I could make a decent argument not to (but I won't because I would do it straight up). But your reasoning behind it being that he might not even be a replacement level player moving forward because he would have to adjust to the Rick Porcello's of the world is egregious.

You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but when your opinion is based off of foolishness it loses all credibility.
    I wasn't meaning that is why he would be replacement level...I was just pointing out that on top of how bad he was this year changing leagues will add another adjustment. The types of pitchers and quality of pitchers don't mean much, but how you are pitched to does change from NL to AL. Also, being less familiar with a certain pitcher does make a difference...is it a big difference, no, but if he doesn't improve on last season he could be dipping further below where he was. Changing leagues will have like a 1% impact on him and might go away fairly quickly.

I wouldn't do the trade first of all because even when he was good I just didn't like McCutchen and 2nd...Vlad Jr will be more valuable over the length of his contract vs the 2 yrs from Cutch.
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 5,084 Posts
    I wasn't meaning that is why he would be replacement level...I was just pointing out that on top of how bad he was this year changing leagues will add another adjustment. The types of pitchers and quality of pitchers don't mean much, but how you are pitched to does change from NL to AL. Also, being less familiar with a certain pitcher does make a difference...is it a big difference, no, but if he doesn't improve on last season he could be dipping further below where he was. Changing leagues will have like a 1% impact on him and might go away fairly quickly.

I wouldn't do the trade first of all because even when he was good I just didn't like McCutchen and 2nd...Vlad Jr will be more valuable over the length of his contract vs the 2 yrs from Cutch.
    Sounds a lot more sensible then your first post, pressure changed this. Stop it.

Prospect
    Thanks
    lol Vlad is a 17-year old who had a great season in Rookie ball of all things. Calm down with the prospect overhype. And I like Vlad.

Just for the record, I wouldn't trade Vlad anyways, nor do I think this Front Office is going to because

A) We're clearly not going all-in for 2017, and its not like McCutchen puts us over the top or anything. If this was 2015 or pre-2016 season, I would've traded for Cutch in a heartbeat because we still had Edwin and Bautista and Cutch would've been worth it for going all in. Yeah we need 1-2 outfielders pretty badly, but there are still ways to address our outfield.

B) Pirates are probably gonna wait until the trade deadline to flip Cutch since he'll likely bounce back and be more valuable. Get the sense the Pirates front office is just seeing what they can get for Cutch as a floor. He can't be worse than he was last season.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

Krylian (01-10-2017),Spanky99 (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    But there is nothing yet that leads us to believe he's an untradeable generational talent. His name is part of the helium on the hype.
    But what about those scouts who reported the ball "sounds" different coming off his bat?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    lol Vlad is a 17-year old who had a great season in Rookie ball of all things. Calm down with the prospect overhype. And I like Vlad.

Just for the record, I wouldn't trade Vlad anyways, nor do I think this Front Office is going to because

A) We're clearly not going all-in for 2017, and its not like McCutchen puts us over the top or anything. If this was 2015 or pre-2016 season, I would've traded for Cutch in a heartbeat because we still had Edwin and Bautista and Cutch would've been worth it for going all in. Yeah we need 1-2 outfielders pretty badly, but there are still ways to address our outfield.

B) Pirates are probably gonna wait until the trade deadline to flip Cutch since he'll likely bounce back and be more valuable. Get the sense the Pirates front office is just seeing what they can get for Cutch as a floor. He can't be worse than he was last season.
    Cutch puts us back in the wild card hunt and playoffs should always be the goal for a team that already has pieces in play to make it happen. Not trading Vlad JR for cutch is beyond ridiculous lol. The deal diddnt get done because of the extra pieces that would have been had to be included as well..not because the front office loves Vlad JR that much
    #FireCasey

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays_fever View Post
    Cutch puts us back in the wild card hunt and playoffs should always be the goal for a team that already has pieces in play to make it happen. Not trading Vlad JR for cutch is beyond ridiculous lol. The deal diddnt get done because of the extra pieces that would have been had to be included as well..not because the front office loves Vlad JR that much
    That's the thing. It'll take a lot more than just Vlad to get this deal done. We're not going to get McCutchen with the main piece being someone who's 4-5 years away from reaching the majors, and literally just had half a good season. They're gonna want a haul that probably won't be worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,597 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Aaron Sanchez continues setting unrealistic body standards for men.
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

GD (01-12-2017),P2F (01-12-2017),Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    Aaron Sanchez continues setting unrealistic body standards for men.
    lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 911 Posts

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.
    lol... at the Stroman split. Plus, since that pic, he's gained 41 Lbs of muscle, bro!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,431 Times in 5,669 Posts
    Does anyone remember the Jimmy Paredes era?