• PHI
    COL
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • NYY
    KC
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • BAL
    MIN
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • CHC
    SF
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • WSH
    SEA
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • CIN
    CLE
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • TB
    LAA
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • NYM
    SD
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • BOS
    TEX
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • ATL
    PIT
    Preview
    7:35 PM ET
  • MIL
    TOR
    Preview
    7:40 PM ET
  • HOU
    DET
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • ARI
    CWS
    Preview
    9:40 PM ET
  • OAK
    MIA
    Preview
    10:05 PM ET
  • LAD
    STL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 84 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,329 to 1,344 of 1415

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #1329
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,280
    Thanks
    735
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Their system is so barren - pitching depth is nonexistent even at the upper levels in the form of MiLB veterans. Seems like it would be Rusin, Lyles, or bust.
    Yency Almonte is an interesting guy who is on the 40. Sam Moll, short lefty reliever with a nice fastball, curveball combo. That's the extent of what else could help this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  2. #1330
    DONOR Angrioter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    D_R
    Posts
    24,171
    Thanks
    1,722
    Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I have to believe that the stories were true though. Just DFA'ing him seems to make no sense if there were people interested. It's likely going to be for a DFA candidate pitcher but maybe we can add to the deal and get someone with options and upside.
    Brendan Rodgers for Goins ++:-)

  3. #1331
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,254
    Thanks
    1,128
    Thanked 8,098 Times in 4,534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Yency Almonte is an interesting guy who is on the 40. Sam Moll, short lefty reliever with a nice fastball, curveball combo. That's the extent of what else could help this year.
    I wonder if the Mets might have interest.

  4. #1332
    MVP Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    In Shambles
    Posts
    13,451
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,171 Posts
    We need a right-handed hitting outfielder. Goins can for one of those as well.

  5. #1333
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,280
    Thanks
    735
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I wonder if the Mets might have interest.
    Goins might be their starter. Rafael Montero?
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (05-16-2017)

  7. #1334
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,766
    Thanks
    1,950
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,125 Posts

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

    Candy Maldonado (05-17-2017),Spanky99 (05-17-2017),vdubmvp (05-18-2017)

  9. #1335
    Prospect george09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts

  10. #1336
    All Star TwistedLogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,771
    Thanks
    1,145
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,433 Posts

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TwistedLogic For This Useful Post:

    BlueJays (05-20-2017),Deadpool (05-21-2017),KingKat (05-18-2017),Maahfaace (05-20-2017),Spanky99 (05-18-2017),THANOS (05-19-2017)

  12. #1337
    Prospect Stoneyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 42 Times in 23 Posts
    So I just realized that we have basically the same record this year that we've had this point the last two years.
    2015: 18-24
    2016: 19-23
    2017: 18-24

    Considering all the injuries and guys due to come off the DL this is pretty encouraging. I think that since we started off so badly it feels like we're completely out of it, but we've been here before.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneyen For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (05-21-2017)

  14. #1338
    All Star Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 866 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneyen View Post
    So I just realized that we have basically the same record this year that we've had this point the last two years.
    2015: 18-24
    2016: 19-23
    2017: 18-24

    Considering all the injuries and guys due to come off the DL this is pretty encouraging. I think that since we started off so badly it feels like we're completely out of it, but we've been here before.
    The better predictor at this time of year is run differential. Jays are currently at -16 runs. IIRC, at this time in 2015 and 2016 the run differential was close to zero or even on the positive side.

    Of course, it is still very early.

  15. #1339
    Big Leaguer reedjohnsonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,540
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 293 Times in 220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneyen View Post
    So I just realized that we have basically the same record this year that we've had this point the last two years.
    2015: 18-24
    2016: 19-23
    2017: 18-24

    Considering all the injuries and guys due to come off the DL this is pretty encouraging. I think that since we started off so badly it feels like we're completely out of it, but we've been here before.
    Yeah far from out of it. Weren't they a game under .500 (or something like that) at the trade deadline in 2015? Though their run differential was the best in baseball, or close, at the time.

  16. #1340
    All Star Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,646
    Thanks
    273
    Thanked 866 Times in 655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    Yeah far from out of it. Weren't they a game under .500 (or something like that) at the trade deadline in 2015? Though their run differential was the best in baseball, or close, at the time.
    Was the best in baseball by a fair margin

  17. #1341
    Prospect Stoneyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 42 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    The better predictor at this time of year is run differential. Jays are currently at -16 runs. IIRC, at this time in 2015 and 2016 the run differential was close to zero or even on the positive side.

    Of course, it is still very early.
    Run differential definitely does a better job of assessing how the team has performed, but given the lineup we're running out there every night it's not surprising it's pretty negative. I look at the record more like an indicator that all hope may not be lost once we get some talent back in the lineup.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoneyen For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (05-21-2017),KingKat (05-20-2017)

  19. #1342
    Big Leaguer Maahfaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 509 Times in 365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    The better predictor at this time of year is run differential. Jays are currently at -16 runs. IIRC, at this time in 2015 and 2016 the run differential was close to zero or even on the positive side.

    Of course, it is still very early.
    The run differential isn't as relevant as you claim considering the jays are running out Goins, Coughlan, Carerra, Maile, and Barney as regulars in place of JD, Tulo, Martin, and Pearce. Throw in the spot starts from Lawrence, Latos and Bolinger and it becomes quite clear that trying to measure a Jays lineup with run differential really has no merit. It might be more accurate to articulate that the Bisons run differential against the rest of the MLB is poor.
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  20. #1343
    Big Leaguer Maahfaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 509 Times in 365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneyen View Post
    Run differential definitely does a better job of assessing how the team has performed, but given the lineup we're running out there every night it's not surprising it's pretty negative. I look at the record more like an indicator that all hope may not be lost once we get some talent back in the lineup.
    Beat me to it
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  21. #1344
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    6,276
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    The run differential isn't as relevant as you claim considering the jays are running out Goins, Coughlan, Carerra, Maile, and Barney as regulars in place of JD, Tulo, Martin, and Pearce. Throw in the spot starts from Lawrence, Latos and Bolinger and it becomes quite clear that trying to measure a Jays lineup with run differential really has no merit. It might be more accurate articulate that the Bisons run differential against the rest MLB is poor.
    I think judging their crap lineup by run differential makes perfect sense given they've been forced to run out that crap lineup. Their record and differential should also suck.

    But i think what you're saying is that their run differential isn't predictive since the lineup will get boosted once the guys that aren't replacement level DFA candidates come back from injury.
    ****FREE SPANKY****


  22. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-20-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •