• NYM 3
    STL 2
    Final
    12:10 PM ET
  • CIN 2
    ARI 12
    Final
    12:35 PM ET
  • PIT 4
    MIL 2
    Final
    12:35 PM ET
  • BOS 6
    TOR 8
    Final
    1:35 PM ET
  • BAL 1
    TEX 5
    In Progress
    Top 5th
  • KC 3
    DET 0
    In Progress
    Bottom 1st
  • LAD 0
    ATL 0
    Pre-Game
    10:10 PM ET
  • SEA
    NYY
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SF 0
    SD 0
    Pre-Game
    10:15 PM ET
Page 64 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,009 to 1,024 of 2316

Thread: General 2017 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #1009
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 465 Times in 255 Posts
    Blaming AA for Bautista when Shapiro re-signed him is kind of silly.

  2. #1010
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    It's tough to blame Shapiro when Tulo, Bautista, Martin and Travis have sucked. That's AA's core. Hell, the AA guys he's let walk either haven't played (Price) or are stinking up the joint as badly as the guys still here (Edwin and Saunders).
    AA may have brought most of the guys in but Shapiro decided they were good enough to keep, even when the writing was on the wall last season and you could see them getting older, and not better.

  3. #1011
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Blaming AA for Bautista when Shapiro re-signed him is kind of silly.
    I'm still hoping Bautista turns it around so we decline the option, qualify him, and have someone else sign him...and get that 1st rounder that I wanted for him this off-season.

  4. #1012
    All Star z3r0s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,044
    Thanks
    877
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 921 Posts
    I think that ship has sailed with the new comp system no?

  5. #1013
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,679
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 405 Times in 265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I'm still hoping Bautista turns it around so we decline the option, qualify him, and have someone else sign him...and get that 1st rounder that I wanted for him this off-season.
    Under the new rules you can't qualify a player twice so that's not an option.

  6. #1014
    Hall of Famer Atothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14,364
    Thanks
    2,788
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,348 Posts
    12 games in, no time. Lol

  7. #1015
    Hall of Famer Atothe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14,364
    Thanks
    2,788
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,348 Posts
    All I got to say is, JD is a complete asshole for trying to play when he was hurt

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atothe For This Useful Post:

    Maine Jays (04-17-2017)

  9. #1016
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,683
    Thanks
    3,348
    Thanked 11,909 Times in 7,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    I generally agree with your sentiment, but this post is lame. If Shapiro was THAT convinced that Travis and Bautista would have sucked he would have traded the former for other useful players and not signed the latter. Plus all of this board's favourite whipping boys Smoak, Carrera and Goins are all fully on the shoulders of the new regime for having stuck it on this roster this long. Martin and Tulowitzki are all AA's doing, but no new front office in baseball comes into a job with a completely clean slate.

    You can blame the lack of MLB-ready prospects on AA, and you can give full credit to the new regime for supplementing Sanchez and Stroman with good contracts to fill out one of the best 1-5 starting staffs in the league. But the lineup is all on Shapiro and Atkins.
    They're playing the hand they were dealt. I don't think anyone thought it was ideal to enter the season with a core of 30+ year old guys and no prospects close, but nobody would have been convinced that any of them, individually, was going to fall of a cliff in a given season. My point is that this team's eventual failure is going to happen because the core AA built around aged out with nothing in the system coming to replace them. If Martin, Tulo, Travis, and Bautista hang on another year the team should be alright. If they fall off a cliff... well, we're seeing what that looks like. I hate that Smoak, Goins, and Carrera are on the team, but no amount of peripheral additions is going to make up for a mid-30s core that's hitting free agency and/or seeing steep decline one after another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  10. #1017
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,683
    Thanks
    3,348
    Thanked 11,909 Times in 7,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Blaming AA for Bautista when Shapiro re-signed him is kind of silly.
    It's not as simple as blaming someone for Bautista. It was the right move to bring him back for 1/18 or whatever. Neither AA nor Shapiro should have traded him. The problem is that, more generally, the entire core of the team are old guys on free agent contracts, and it's impossible to predict when these guys are going to hit a cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  11. #1018
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    35,691
    Thanks
    38,024
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 5,663 Posts
    I guess there's been no word on Happ, yet? Man, we're fucked.

  12. #1019
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 465 Times in 255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    It's not as simple as blaming someone for Bautista. It was the right move to bring him back for 1/18 or whatever. Neither AA nor Shapiro should have traded him. The problem is that, more generally, the entire core of the team are old guys on free agent contracts, and it's impossible to predict when these guys are going to hit a cliff.
    The entire core of the team is not old guys on free agent contracts. AA actually only brought in two, those being Tulo and Martin.

    Unless you are upset that he acquired Estrada and Shapiro re-signed him?

    Otherwise, I'd add Donaldson, Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna, Pillar and Travis to the core. Obviously none of them are old guys on free agent contracts.

    Shapiro actually added Bautista and Morales who are both old guys on free agent contracts. And you can throw in Grilli, Joe Smith and Howell if you want. He did also sign Happ who is an old guy on a free agent contract.

  13. #1020
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    551
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 111 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The entire core of the team is not old guys on free agent contracts. AA actually only brought in two, those being Tulo and Martin.

    Unless you are upset that he acquired Estrada and Shapiro re-signed him?

    Otherwise, I'd add Donaldson, Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna, Pillar and Travis to the core. Obviously none of them are old guys on free agent contracts.

    Shapiro actually added Bautista and Morales who are both old guys on free agent contracts. And you can throw in Grilli, Joe Smith and Howell if you want. He did also sign Happ who is an old guy on a free agent contract.
    yeah, and who would've preferred that AA didn't sign Martin and didn't do the Tulo deal?

  14. #1021
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,161
    Thanks
    2,025
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,212 Posts
    If we resigned Donaldson we could re-tool instead of rebuild. The problem is we don't have many trade assets outside of him and not many prospects coming up. The thought of tearing this thing down and taking 4-5 years to rebuild it hurts my heart though.

  15. #1022
    All Star Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,939
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked 902 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    If we resigned Donaldson we could re-tool instead of rebuild.
    I don't know. By the time there are enough good supplementary pieces Donaldson might be shit.

    Would be like having a Trout on a shit team.

  16. #1023
    Blue Chip Prospect TBJ12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks
    456
    Thanked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    AA may have brought most of the guys in but Shapiro decided they were good enough to keep, even when the writing was on the wall last season and you could see them getting older, and not better.
    The writing was on the wall while they played in the ALCS? How about when they swept the Rangers in ALDS?

  17. #1024
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,315
    Thanks
    705
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    If we resigned Donaldson we could re-tool instead of rebuild. The problem is we don't have many trade assets outside of him and not many prospects coming up. The thought of tearing this thing down and taking 4-5 years to rebuild it hurts my heart though.
    I think you could compete by 2019 and be good by 2020. They'll have lots of money to spend don't forget.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •