Thanks
    Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,541 Posts

Annual Hall of Fame induction thread

Discuss

Public polls showing the story

Final announcements soon

Thanks
    Thanked 11,816 Times in 7,051 Posts
    Prediction: a bunch of guys who deserve to get in will be snubbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Nafro (01-15-2017)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Murray Chass being a tool and making more news than the players

Booooo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

Terminator (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    All votes will be made public starting next year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 811 Posts
    There was some spreadsheet showing the current status going around. It never worked when I opened it and now I've lost interest. Can someone post a link that works?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    There was some spreadsheet showing the current status going around. It never worked when I opened it and now I've lost interest. Can someone post a link that works?
    http://bit.ly/tracker17

Thanks
    Bagwell
    Rodriguez
    Raines

Looking good

Thanks
    Bonds and Clemens have dropped significantly below the induction line since the first batch of public votes

Boooooooo
    Last edited by G-Snarls; 01-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Bagwell
    Rodriguez
    Raines

Looking good
    Agreed. I love that Bags is getting in.

Vlad is on the cusp too. I expected Vlad would get in, but it's crazy to see him getting in on his first try when a superior player like Jim Edmonds got booted off the ballot in his first year and guys like Bonds, Clemens, Schilling and Manny aren't getting enough love to get in. I forgot how stupid this voting really is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 744 Posts
    Bagwell is probably my favourite player of all-time, so I love that it looks like this is the year. His accomplishments were somewhat unheralded during his career. Very worthy of getting in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,209 Posts
    I'm seeing some good things and some not so good things and that's an improvement.

Good:
    -Bonds and Clemens rising. Makes me hopeful they eventually get in.
    -Tim Raines is looking good.
    -Bagwell looking good.
    -Pudge looking good.
    -Edgar Martinez is improving.
    -Mussina is improving.
    -Nearly 9 votes per ballot is excellent with the overwhelming majority of ballots being 10-player ballots. There are currently more than 10 worthy guys so so as close to 10 as that number gets the better we can clear the logjam.

Bad:
    -Schilling is dropping, likely due to his political beliefs which shouldn't matter.
    -Trevor Hoffman has a chance this year to get in, eventually he will. He shouldn't even sniff it.
    -Vlad Guerrero has a chance to be a 1st ballot HoFer and Larry Walker won't ever get in. Larry Walker was hands down a better player than Vlad and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Similar sticks but Walker was an excellent baserunner and fielder and Vlad was bad at both.

That said, this is only about 43% of the ballots revealed so far. All those dinosaur writers that don't know how to use the internet to post their ballots publicly could tank Raines or Bagwell.

Thanks
    It's amazing how Vlady was/is known as a 5 tool player....yet he was a poor base runner and terrible defender essentially throughout his entire career. He's probably one of the most misconceived players of this past generation. He might be one of the last players to be widely considered a Superstar / HOF player despite what advanced metrics suggested. Brian Giles was basically the same player as Vlady.

Larry Walker was a better hitter, better base runner, better defender.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Terminator (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,209 Posts
    It's amazing how Vlady was/is known as a 5 tool player....yet he was a poor base runner and terrible defender essentially throughout his entire career. He's probably one of the most misconceived players of this past generation. He might be one of the last players to be widely considered a Superstar / HOF player despite what advanced metrics suggested. Brian Giles was basically the same player as Vlady.

Larry Walker was a better hitter, better base runner, better defender.
    He had a couple of years with high steal totals (along with a high number of CS too) and I think people thought because he stole 40 bags he was fast and a good baserunner. They ignore his 20 CS that year. He did have a cannon of an arm so perhaps because he had a cannon and because they thought he was fast that he must have been good at defense too?

Larry Walker gets overly punished because he played at Coors Field but even factoring that in he was a better hitter.

Vlad played about a full season's worth of games more than Walker did but he still finished with about 14 less WAR.

Thanks
    Edmonds is about 10 more WAR than Vlady in about the same # of years. He couldn't even get 5% of the votes...

It's kind of funny that Vlady doesn't qualify if you look at advanced metrics - yet he didn't reach many (any?) of the traditional milestones either (500 hr, 200 sb). He had a very strong slash line and obviously was a very good hitter, but he seems to be a product of marketing created by the " Sportcenter highlights" era. He did spectacular things on the baseball field, which would get plastered all over Sportscenter and people would assume he's something he really wasn't. Cespedes might get a little of that these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,780 Times in 3,698 Posts
    Edmonds is about 10 more WAR than Vlady in about the same # of years. He couldn't even get 5% of the votes...

It's kind of funny that Vlady doesn't qualify if you look at advanced metrics - yet he didn't reach many (any?) of the traditional milestones either (500 hr, 200 sb). He had a very strong slash line and obviously was a very good hitter, but he seems to be a product of marketing created by the " Sportcenter highlights" era. He did spectacular things on the baseball field, which would get plastered all over Sportscenter and people would assume he's something he really wasn't. Cespedes might get a little of that these days.
    To me it's more about Vlad's plate coverage than the highlight reels. It was just so uncanny. He was such a great pure hitter. It's hard to reconcile that with the idea that he's a lesser player than Jim Edmonds. Edmonds is the one I actually mostly remember from being a highlight reel staple.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Larry Walker gets overly punished because he played at Coors Field but even factoring that in he was a better hitter.
    Coors a bit, yes. But also, the HOF voters don't understand what a complete ballplayer Walker was. Until more of them pay attention to defense, baserunning, OBP, etc and less to shiny shit like average, HR, RBI, players like Walker will get shafted.