Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A look at the brief history of Mark Shapiro's Blue Jays, till now and moving forward

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I'd love to know what Tellez's trade value is. I'd be shocked if someone gives more than a reliever for him, but I don't see him helping the team this year so might be worth it. Pompey interests me too...his projections are still okay, but he's certainly not shiny and new.
    I could see us moving Pompey at the deadline if we're close to the playoffs and he hasn't been playing.

It'd be in a deal where we take on salary from a non contending team who are looking to shed salary, and can afford to start Pompey to give him a chance.

If we are out of contention maybe Pompey gets that chance here instead.

Thanks
    Even though with Gibbons picking the lineup Pompey is behind Carrera, Upton, Pillar, Pearce, whoever we sign for RF, and probably Barney he's still one of the main candidates for promotion in the event of injuries.

And with his trade value being down compared to say 2 years ago, I don't really see us trading him right now.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    I actually hope the reason for signing Smoak was because they see something in his numbers or swing or something that indicates they think he can breakout. Even if they are wrong in that case, at least they'd have some logic behind it. Signing him because they wanted a warm body at first is a pretty bad reason for an extension.

Still, if that's their worst move, and it looks like it is so far, then that's not bad at all.
    The Liam Hendriks move will probably end up being worse, if it isn't already. That can be mostly attributed to Tony LaCava though, along with the Estrada and Happ signings. He basically had full autonomy during that period according to Shapiro.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by intentional wok View Post
    ...which still means they'd have had to do free agent shopping and still saved themselves the effort.
    I am going to go on a limb and say....its kind of their job to go free agent shopping and fill positions. I really highly doubt the reasoning was, can check that off before we get to the off-season. I think hedging against an inflation in the market in the off-season was the likely reason.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    The Liam Hendriks move will probably end up being worse, if it isn't already. That can be mostly attributed to Tony LaCava though, along with the Estrada and Happ signings. He basically had full autonomy during that period according to Shapiro.
    Can we say that Liam Hendriks was basically traded for Mike Bolsinger? Is that fair? If Lacava traded Hendriks for Chavez, then Atkins maybe made it not so bad, by trading Chavez for Bolsinger.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafro View Post
    Can we say that Liam Hendriks was basically traded for Mike Bolsinger? Is that fair? If Lacava traded Hendriks for Chavez, then Atkins maybe made it not so bad, by trading Chavez for Bolsinger.
    That's reasonable, but you have to add in Chavez's salary (4 million? total guess).

We'll see if Bolsinger ever makes an impact on this club. I like the trade either way for the depth, but I'm not as convinced as others that he'll be a quality pitcher in this division.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,275 Times in 6,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I'd love to know what Tellez's trade value is. I'd be shocked if someone gives more than a reliever for him, but I don't see him helping the team this year so might be worth it. Pompey interests me too...his projections are still okay, but he's certainly not shiny and new.
    Dan Vogelbach for Mike Montgomery

Thanks
    Thanked 5,915 Times in 3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Dan Vogelbach for Mike Montgomery
    Fair comp but Dipoto deals almost can't count as he makes so many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 795 Posts
    14 months into the job and we are debating if Chavez or Smoak has been the worse move. Conclusion: He's done a pretty good job so far.

I still think Smoak can be a diamond in the rough.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,883 Times in 4,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    14 months into the job and we are debating if Chavez or Smoak has been the worse move. Conclusion: He's done a pretty good job so far.

I still think Smoak can be a diamond in the rough.
    Yes, but that's because he doesn't seem interested in taking the kind of risks AA did. We'll never get a Donaldson trade under Shatkins, but we'll also never get a Dickey trade either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-14-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Yes, but that's because he doesn't seem interested in taking the kind of risks AA did. We'll never get a Donaldson trade under Shatkins, but we'll also never get a Dickey trade either.
    The Colon, Lee, Sabathia, and Jimenez deals would qualify as pretty big trades in my books.