• CHC 7
    CWS 2
    Final
    2:20 PM ET
  • NYY 0
    CIN 0
    Pre-Game
    7:05 PM ET
  • PHI 0
    HOU 0
    Pre-Game
    7:05 PM ET
  • WSH 0
    MIL 0
    Pre-Game
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR 0
    OAK 0
    Pre-Game
    7:07 PM ET
  • TB 0
    BAL 0
    Pre-Game
    7:10 PM ET
  • DET 0
    KC 0
    Pre-Game
    7:10 PM ET
  • CLE 0
    LAA 0
    Pre-Game
    7:10 PM ET
  • TEX
    MIA
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • STL
    COL
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • ARI
    ATL
    Preview
    9:40 PM ET
  • SEA
    BOS
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • LAD
    MIN
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SD
    NYM
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SF
    PIT
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 65 to 75 of 75

Thread: A look at the brief history of Mark Shapiro's Blue Jays, till now and moving forward

  1. #65
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,702
    Thanks
    190
    Thanked 417 Times in 272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I'd love to know what Tellez's trade value is. I'd be shocked if someone gives more than a reliever for him, but I don't see him helping the team this year so might be worth it. Pompey interests me too...his projections are still okay, but he's certainly not shiny and new.
    I could see us moving Pompey at the deadline if we're close to the playoffs and he hasn't been playing.

    It'd be in a deal where we take on salary from a non contending team who are looking to shed salary, and can afford to start Pompey to give him a chance.

    If we are out of contention maybe Pompey gets that chance here instead.

  2. #66
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,702
    Thanks
    190
    Thanked 417 Times in 272 Posts
    Even though with Gibbons picking the lineup Pompey is behind Carrera, Upton, Pillar, Pearce, whoever we sign for RF, and probably Barney he's still one of the main candidates for promotion in the event of injuries.

    And with his trade value being down compared to say 2 years ago, I don't really see us trading him right now.

  3. #67
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,193
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    I actually hope the reason for signing Smoak was because they see something in his numbers or swing or something that indicates they think he can breakout. Even if they are wrong in that case, at least they'd have some logic behind it. Signing him because they wanted a warm body at first is a pretty bad reason for an extension.

    Still, if that's their worst move, and it looks like it is so far, then that's not bad at all.
    The Liam Hendriks move will probably end up being worse, if it isn't already. That can be mostly attributed to Tony LaCava though, along with the Estrada and Happ signings. He basically had full autonomy during that period according to Shapiro.

  4. #68
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Shakespeare, ON
    Posts
    2,037
    Thanks
    1,181
    Thanked 452 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intentional wok View Post
    ...which still means they'd have had to do free agent shopping and still saved themselves the effort.
    I am going to go on a limb and say....its kind of their job to go free agent shopping and fill positions. I really highly doubt the reasoning was, can check that off before we get to the off-season. I think hedging against an inflation in the market in the off-season was the likely reason.

  5. #69
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Shakespeare, ON
    Posts
    2,037
    Thanks
    1,181
    Thanked 452 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    The Liam Hendriks move will probably end up being worse, if it isn't already. That can be mostly attributed to Tony LaCava though, along with the Estrada and Happ signings. He basically had full autonomy during that period according to Shapiro.
    Can we say that Liam Hendriks was basically traded for Mike Bolsinger? Is that fair? If Lacava traded Hendriks for Chavez, then Atkins maybe made it not so bad, by trading Chavez for Bolsinger.

  6. #70
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,193
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafro View Post
    Can we say that Liam Hendriks was basically traded for Mike Bolsinger? Is that fair? If Lacava traded Hendriks for Chavez, then Atkins maybe made it not so bad, by trading Chavez for Bolsinger.
    That's reasonable, but you have to add in Chavez's salary (4 million? total guess).

    We'll see if Bolsinger ever makes an impact on this club. I like the trade either way for the depth, but I'm not as convinced as others that he'll be a quality pitcher in this division.

  7. #71
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,136
    Thanks
    5,743
    Thanked 10,117 Times in 5,944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I'd love to know what Tellez's trade value is. I'd be shocked if someone gives more than a reliever for him, but I don't see him helping the team this year so might be worth it. Pompey interests me too...his projections are still okay, but he's certainly not shiny and new.
    Dan Vogelbach for Mike Montgomery

  8. #72
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,697
    Thanks
    830
    Thanked 5,633 Times in 3,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Dan Vogelbach for Mike Montgomery
    Fair comp but Dipoto deals almost can't count as he makes so many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  9. #73
    Big Leaguer Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 718 Posts
    14 months into the job and we are debating if Chavez or Smoak has been the worse move. Conclusion: He's done a pretty good job so far.

    I still think Smoak can be a diamond in the rough.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-13-2017)

  11. #74
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    21,027
    Thanks
    1,969
    Thanked 7,551 Times in 4,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    14 months into the job and we are debating if Chavez or Smoak has been the worse move. Conclusion: He's done a pretty good job so far.

    I still think Smoak can be a diamond in the rough.
    Yes, but that's because he doesn't seem interested in taking the kind of risks AA did. We'll never get a Donaldson trade under Shatkins, but we'll also never get a Dickey trade either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-14-2017)

  13. #75
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    4,193
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Yes, but that's because he doesn't seem interested in taking the kind of risks AA did. We'll never get a Donaldson trade under Shatkins, but we'll also never get a Dickey trade either.
    The Colon, Lee, Sabathia, and Jimenez deals would qualify as pretty big trades in my books.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •