COL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • LAD
    SF
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A look at the brief history of Mark Shapiro's Blue Jays, till now and moving forward

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 4,763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, the Swisher and Bourn signings have to be at least 1% traumatizing for them. Those 2 players were slam dunk signings. Completely logical and in the context of those CLE teams, they made a lot of sense. And both players absolutely turned to shit as soon as they signed those contracts.
    Absolutely. Those were great signings that didn't work at all. Kind of like if Edwin absolutely stinks in Cleveland.

I really wanted Swisher back then.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,290 Posts
    Yeah I liked both of those signings at the time.

Another FA signing that reminds me of those is Chone Figgins. I wanted him bad back in the day but as soon as Seattle signed him his numbers tanked.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,745 Times in 3,273 Posts
    Blue Bird Banter poll. I'm not sure what is more surprising the result or that BBB has 4000 hits

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/1...kins-are-doing

Do you approve of the job Mark Shipiro and Ross Atkins are doing?

15%
    Approve
    (610 votes)
    27%
    Neutral
    (1093 votes)
    59%
    Disapprove
    (2410 votes)
    4113 votes total
    More From Bluebird Banter
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Rusty_Savage (01-11-2017),Terminator (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Chone Figgins.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

intentional wok (01-11-2017),Nafro (01-12-2017),Sorrow (01-11-2017),Spanky99 (01-11-2017),Terminator (01-11-2017),TholesWeirdEye (01-11-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Blue Bird Banter poll. I'm not sure what is more surprising the result or that BBB has 4000 hits

15%
    Approve
    (610 votes)
    27%
    Neutral
    (1093 votes)
    59%
    Disapprove
    (2410 votes)
    4113 votes total

I was one of the 610

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post

15%
    Approve
    (610 votes)
    27%
    Neutral
    (1093 votes)
    59%
    Disapprove
    (2410 votes)
    4113 votes total
    What's so surprising about the results? More recent events are likely to influence these types of polls.

It's not a stretch to say the offseason has been poor, from a fan's point of view.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,705 Times in 4,805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post
    What's so surprising about the results? More recent events are likely to influence these types of polls.

It's not a stretch to say the offseason has been poor, from a fan's point of view.
    That's true. Excellent signings like Steve Pearce won't be appreciated by the average dumb fan.

Which is exactly why GMs should never care what fans think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    The problem with that argument is that Smoak himself is an overpayment and I don't mean in terms of his real or imagined production but simply in terms of what he'd fetch in the market. In the current market, he'd struggle to find employment much less get what he got. Of course, the market on his skill set has cratered since he signed but pretty much everyone thought it was an overpayment back then too just not as egregious as it's become. Which isn't to say that back then I thought overpaying for Smoak was a big deal. I really didn't and I'm not going to throw the team under the bus now for misjudging the market. Shit happens. I'm just saying that the argument that they never overpay isn't true. I think it's part of the franchise m.o. to make low stakes over-payments for security blankets. I think the Chavez trade was another example of this. They got fuck nothing out of Chavez except the security of knowing they had a guy who could make starts. After dealing Chavez, they arguably overpaid for Feldman for the exact same reason. These deals end up looking bad because you can't exactly put a WAR value on having guys that in an ideal world you don't use but I understand why they do them and why they make sense in the big picture.
    I get what your saying but I think they probably over estimated the first base/DH market. When they made the 4/80 offer to EE I'm sure they didn't think that would be enough. I could be totally off base on that assumption t that's the feeling I get.

I know it's a sss but when they signed Smoak wasn't he getting on base at something around .400 or something g like that? Now he did take a nose dive after that but maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, the Smoak signing really goes against what this risk adverse FO stands for and I think it probably will stand to be an outlier.

The only two transactions that I really dislike with Shapiro/Atkins are the Smoak and Chavez ones and neither are anything close to being crippling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reedjohnsonfan View Post

Some would have said the same thing about last season as well.

They made a more then fair offer to EE and a fair offer to Fowler. Bautista is still there but other then that there weren't too many realistic options in FA and theres not much in the upper minors that anyone would want for an impact player.

This is the price the team will have to pay for AA's trades at the 2015 trade deadline.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Savage View Post

They made a more then fair offer to EE and a fair offer to Fowler. Bautista is still there but other then that there weren't too many realistic options in FA and theres not much in the upper minors that anyone would want for an impact player.

This is the price the team will have to pay for AA's trades at the 2015 trade deadline.
    Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. Their clearly poor offseason is a reason why I do not support the current FO. They've made some good moves sure, but completely blew it during the last few months. To each their own.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to reedjohnsonfan For This Useful Post:

labadee (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    That's true. Excellent signings like Steve Pearce won't be appreciated by the average dumb fan.

Which is exactly why GMs should never care what fans think.
    Is Pearce works out, the casuals will claim Shatkins got lucky.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,483 Posts

Without AA's trades this team has already traded Donaldson, Martin, Estrada, Osuna and is in the middle of a rebuild.

Tulo trade was a big win with Reyes being a $50 Million loss and Hoffman having a bad debut. Norris and Boyd haven't really done much either. I don't get why people make it sound like the 2015 trades were bad, they were clear wins.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Without AA's trades this team has already traded Donaldson, Martin, Estrada, Osuna and is in the middle of a rebuild.

Tulo trade was a big win with Reyes being a $50 Million loss and Hoffman having a bad debut. Norris and Boyd haven't really done much either. I don't get why people make it sound like the 2015 trades were bad, they were clear wins.
    Where did I say they were bad? Why does everything have to be black and white with some people. The trades robbed us of any depth, mainly pitchers. Instead of Boyd, Norris and Hoffman being our depth starters we have Floyd, Bolsinger and Biagini.

My main point was that that in a poor FA class we have no prospects to trade because the majority were used up in 2015.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Where did I say they were bad? Why does everything have to be black and white with some people. The trades robbed us of any depth, mainly pitchers. Instead of Boyd, Norris and Hoffman being our depth starters we have Floyd, Bolsinger and Biagini.

My main point was that that in a poor FA class we have no prospects to trade because the majority were used up in 2015.
    They have lots of prospects to trade.. Alford, Pompey, Reid Foley, Tellez, Gurriel etc.. The notion that the Jays can't trade for players because they don't have the prospects is false. Its just the Jays are unwilling to make the moves.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

puphood (01-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,745 Times in 3,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    They have lots of prospects to trade.. Alford, Pompey, Reid Foley, Tellez, Gurriel etc.. The notion that the Jays can't trade for players because they don't have the prospects is false. Its just the Jays are unwilling to make the moves.
    I'd love to know what Tellez's trade value is. I'd be shocked if someone gives more than a reliever for him, but I don't see him helping the team this year so might be worth it. Pompey interests me too...his projections are still okay, but he's certainly not shiny and new.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.