Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking Thread

Thanks
    I'm trying to get less fat. Does anyone have any simple high protein, low fat crock pot recipes?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,906 Times in 3,771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    I'm trying to get less fat. Does anyone have any simple high protein, low fat crock pot recipes?
    Just make beans.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Just make beans.
    Ya....tried that. Doesn't agree with the...um...backside.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,292 Posts
    My gf makes eggroll-in-a-bowl, which is cheap, simple and relatively healthy.

You can just Google a recipe, but the general idea is brown a pound of ground pork with some chopped onions. Add garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, s&p to taste (a bit of ginger and Worcestershire are optional.)

Stir a bag of coleslaw mix into the pan until wilted, destroy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

TRM (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,572 Times in 4,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    Forget about cutting dietary fat. It doesn't really make people fat. Of course, excess is bad, but fats can make you feel satiated and full which is good.
    Just eat healthier in general, eat less, maybe eat less carbs if you're the type who has bread 4x per day. A lot of people overeat on carbs.

Crock pot sweet potato black bean chili is really easy and good. You can also just throw whatever you have on hand in there, which is nice. It's a good cleaner-outer of the cupboards and fridge. You can also make like, 8 servings per pot load which will last you a while.

- Diced sweet potato, black beans, onion, corn, carrot, tomato paste, some amount of water or broth.
    - Flash the onions first in a pan, and put the sweet potato on the bottom of a greased crock pot [bottom so it cooks more].
    - whatever else you have (diced pepper, zucchini, a minced chili pepper, tomato, kidney beans, chickpeas, ground turkey [brown in pan first if so]...)
    - season with salt, pepper, garlic [if fresh, mince and flash with onion], chili powder, paprika, cumin, sriracha... whatever you like!
    - google a recipe for quantities
    - 8 hours on low or 4-5 on high
    - serve with any or all of tortilla chips, lime, sour cream, grated cheese, avocado.
    - impress your friends

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,028 Posts
    That sounds really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Yes. There's only one Real min.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Forget about cutting dietary fat. It doesn't really make people fat. Of course, excess is bad, but fats can make you feel satiated and full which is good.
    Just eat healthier in general, eat less, maybe eat less carbs if you're the type who has bread 4x per day. A lot of people overeat on carbs.

Crock pot sweet potato black bean chili is really easy and good. You can also just throw whatever you have on hand in there, which is nice. It's a good cleaner-outer of the cupboards and fridge. You can also make like, 8 servings per pot load which will last you a while.

- Diced sweet potato, black beans, onion, corn, carrot, tomato paste, some amount of water or broth.
    - Flash the onions first in a pan, and put the sweet potato on the bottom of a greased crock pot [bottom so it cooks more].
    - whatever else you have (diced pepper, zucchini, a minced chili pepper, tomato, kidney beans, chickpeas, ground turkey [brown in pan first if so]...)
    - season with salt, pepper, garlic [if fresh, mince and flash with onion], chili powder, paprika, cumin, sriracha... whatever you like!
    - google a recipe for quantities
    - 8 hours on low or 4-5 on high
    - serve with any or all of tortilla chips, lime, sour cream, grated cheese, avocado.
    - impress your friends
    That sounds really good. As for the fat thing I was speaking more about the cooking with butter/shortening group. I know enough about nutrition to know that fat isn't bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Ok, if we're talking as an ingredient then yes - Real Maple Syrup is better.

But strictly for pancakes, give me Aunt J.
    No way, get your crazy corn syrup thoughts out of here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-14-2017)

Thanks
    Hamburgers on brioche buns are fucking disgusting, what's wrong with people?

Top 100 Prospect TholesWeirdEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    Hamburgers on brioche buns are fucking disgusting, what's wrong with people?
    What do you put your burgers on? 2 pieces of lettuce?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TholesWeirdEye View Post
    What do you put your burgers on? 2 pieces of lettuce?
    Did your brain gloss right over that word it didn't understand and assure you an ignorant yet smug reply was the right response?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 4,914 Posts
    I make a beef stew based largely on an Emeril Legassi recipe and I've only ever had rave reviews from anyone who eats it.

1L beef stock (I like to use Better than Boullion)
    3 lbs stewing beef, cubed (I usually buy sirloin roast at Costco and trim/cube it myself)
    2-3 onions, diced, depending on how much you like onions
    4-5 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
    1 pound of cremini mushrooms. I buy ones that are prewashed and sliced and just chuck them in there.
    3 ish stalks of celery, diced or sliced. Basically you want to aim for equal amounts of celery and carrots, with a bit more onion. I know a lot of people like big chunky veggies in stew but I dice all of them to approximately centimeter cubes.
    3 ish carrots, diced or sliced
    1 tallboy of a stout of your choice. I usually use Guinness but have also used Mill St. with similar results.
    4 ish tbsp of tomato paste
    1 sprig of each fresh rosemary and fresh thyme
    1 tbsp butter
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 can of sweet green peas (can use frozen if you prefer)
    2-3 white, yellow or red-skinned potatoes, cubed to whatever size you prefer.
    4 tbsp AP flour
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1 tsp Essence

- Trim and cube the beef. Season it with the essence, salt and pepper. I recommend doing this before chopping your veggies to give the salt some time to work as a dry brine for the meat.
    - heat up a Dutch oven to medium high with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Brown one third of the beef, then take it out and set aside. Throw another tbsp of oil in and repeat until all the beef is browned and set aside.
    - melt the butter in the pot and toss in the mushrooms. At first, the mushrooms will absorb all the liquid on the bottom of your pot which will make your fond susceptible to burning. If the fond is getting too dark, toss a little bit of water directly on the bottom to deglaze. The mushrooms will eventually exude all the moisture they initially absorbed.
    - when the mushrooms are done as you like them (I like them nice and browned) add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook until these are limp and translucent.
    - add the garlic and cook for a minute or so more
    - add the flour to make a roux. Cook with the veggies until the flour smells toasty, about a minute or so.
    - add the tomato paste, herbs, beer, meat and stock and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about an hour.
    - add your potatoes and cook for about another half hour, but check to see that they are cooked through.
    - add the peas at the very end and just warm through.

This stew gets thicker and tastier over time, but if it is too thin for your liking, you can make a little cornstarch slurry to help thicken it up.

I love this recipe because it is one pot, delicious, fairly easy and lasts a few days while getting better and better as time goes by. I hope you guys enjoy!
    Last edited by Boxcar; 02-18-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

bronson44 (02-18-2017),silvergun (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 4,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergun View Post
    Did your brain gloss right over that word it didn't understand and assure you an ignorant yet smug reply was the right response?
    It's one of those things that sounds good until you eat it. I've never actually had a hamburger with a brioche bun, I'd assume it's too heavy to be an appropriate vessel? I like buns that are light and not very dense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

silvergun (02-17-2017)

Thanks
    Exactly, and the subtle sweetness just becomes disgusting.

Thanks
    Btw, if anyone's still missed the memo on fuckaround-free perfect bacon, it's

Line baking sheet with foil, lay bacon flat, bake at roughly 350-400 roughly 15ish mins depending on oven/bacon thickness/desired crispness.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to silvergun For This Useful Post:

Cyborg (02-19-2017)