• PHI
    COL
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • NYY
    KC
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • BAL
    MIN
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • CHC
    SF
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • WSH
    SEA
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • CIN
    CLE
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • TB
    LAA
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • NYM
    SD
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • BOS
    TEX
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • ATL
    PIT
    Preview
    7:35 PM ET
  • MIL
    TOR
    Preview
    7:40 PM ET
  • HOU
    DET
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • ARI
    CWS
    Preview
    9:40 PM ET
  • OAK
    MIA
    Preview
    10:05 PM ET
  • LAD
    STL
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 204

Thread: Cooking Thread

  1. #1
    All Star jaysblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 972 Posts

    Cooking Thread

    Cooking tips, suggestions, questions, discussions etc.




  2. The Following User Says Thank You to jaysblue For This Useful Post:

    P2F (02-11-2017)

  3. #2
    DONOR P2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    3,289
    Thanks
    2,134
    Thanked 914 Times in 642 Posts
    I made some tarka dal the other day, and it was the bomb dot com. Probably my favourite Indian dish.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarkadal_90055

  4. #3
    DONOR jays4life19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,886
    Thanks
    2,398
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,828 Posts
    The official breakfast of the BJMB.

    Bacon Pancakes:
    http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...?recipeid=2853

    Pro tip: Use real maple syrup.

  5. #4
    DONOR jays4life19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,886
    Thanks
    2,398
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,828 Posts

  6. #5
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,623
    Thanks
    13,682
    Thanked 5,699 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Home made pad thai is really easy to make and yummy. Bake your tofu for 25 minutes and boil your rice noodles for 3 minutes for prep. After that, heat the oil in the wok and start by frying up garlic, ginger and the white part from green onion, throw in an egg and much it all up in there, add the noodles and finally the tofu, the pad thai sauce (one part fish sauce, one part tamarind liquid, one part honey), some peanut butter to taste, sambal oelek and finally some bean sprouts. Mixed it all up and garnish with the green parts or the green onion, some broken peanuts, cilantro, lime wedges and hoisin sauce. The actual cooking time is lighting fast so make sure to mise like a boss.
    Last edited by KingKat; 02-11-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  7. #6
    MVP Stangstag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,327
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Home made pad thai is really easy to make and yummy. Bake your tofu for 25 minutes and boil your rice noodles for 3 minutes for prep. After that, heat the oil in the wok and start by frying up garlic, ginger and the white part from green onion, throw in an egg and much it all up in there, add the noodles and finally the tofu, the pad thai sauce (one part fish sauce, one part tamarind liquid, one part honey), some peanut butter to taste, sambal oelek and finally some bean sprouts. Mixed it all up and garnish with the green parts or the green onion, some broken peanuts, cilantro, lime wedges and hoisin sauce. The actual cooking time is lighting fast so make sure to mise like a boss.
    Can we substitute the tofu for chicken? Otherwise, that sounds pretty great

  8. #7
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,623
    Thanks
    13,682
    Thanked 5,699 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    Can we substitute the tofu for chicken? Otherwise, that sounds pretty great
    Sure, could also do shrimp.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  9. #8
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20,354
    Thanks
    1,904
    Thanked 7,286 Times in 4,544 Posts
    My one pro tip: if you only ever buy one cooking vessel in your life, invest in a decent enameled cast iron Dutch oven. You can use it to cook almost anything and because cast iron is so good at radiating heat upwards, you will get a nice brown on everything you throw in there. Lodge makes good ones and a really good oven will run you 150 bucks and last you a lifetime if you take care of it.

    They look nice on your stovetop too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

  10. #9
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    6,276
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    My one pro tip: if you only ever buy one cooking vessel in your life, invest in a decent enameled cast iron Dutch oven. You can use it to cook almost anything and because cast iron is so good at radiating heat upwards, you will get a nice brown on everything you throw in there. Lodge makes good ones and a really good oven will run you 150 bucks and last you a lifetime if you take care of it.

    They look nice on your stovetop too.
    100% agree. And, they work with induction cooktops which are becoming more and more popular.

    I'm also a firm believer in having a big stainless steel stockpot, at least 3 sizes of frying pan, a wok and a saucepan/steamer combo.

    My single biggest pro tip; cook less, season more. Theres only so many ways to heat food, there's a billion ways to season it
    Last edited by John_Havok; 02-11-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  11. #10
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,280
    Thanks
    735
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    The official breakfast of the BJMB.

    Bacon Pancakes:
    http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...?recipeid=2853

    Pro tip: Use real maple syrup.
    Fake Maple Syrup is not Maple Syrup. For anyone that does not know the difference please PM me as I can sell you 540 ml tins at zero markup ($6). Well maybe markup for some of you. It is this tin.

    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  12. #11
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shambles, Ontario
    Posts
    15,036
    Thanks
    5,736
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 5,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Fake Maple Syrup is not Maple Syrup. For anyone that does not know the difference please PM me as I can sell you 540 ml tins at zero markup ($6). Well maybe markup for some of you. It is this tin.

    Do you deliver

  13. #12
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,280
    Thanks
    735
    Thanked 5,381 Times in 3,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Do you deliver
    When I'm in the Peg in July I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  14. #13
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,247
    Thanks
    1,128
    Thanked 8,094 Times in 4,530 Posts
    My biggest shame in life is that I prefer Aunt Jemima's to Real Maple Syrup

  15. #14
    Blue Chip Prospect bendera3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 296 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    My biggest shame in life is that I prefer Aunt Jemima's to Real Maple Syrup
    Everyone is going to meet to beat you up now.

    When I was in Vancouver one of my favorite things was maple was in almost EVERYTHING. Beer, donuts, candy, lunches, dinners. Beautiful.

  16. #15
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,623
    Thanks
    13,682
    Thanked 5,699 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    Everyone is going to meet to beat you up now.

    When I was in Vancouver one of my favorite things was maple was in almost EVERYTHING. Beer, donuts, candy, lunches, dinners. Beautiful.
    I have fourty maple trees on my property. Tapped a couple of them for shits and giggle last year and made a small quantity of syrup. Most of the trees are too small right now but eventually I could have a decent personal production.
    "We don't have to plan for a rebuild. But all 30 teams have to stay agile, and have to understand that we're dealing with human beings, and these assets to organizations are human and change and evolve. I think what we've tried to do is become more flexible and agile, and to sustain championships is to build from within."

  17. #16
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,247
    Thanks
    1,128
    Thanked 8,094 Times in 4,530 Posts
    Ok, if we're talking as an ingredient then yes - Real Maple Syrup is better.

    But strictly for pancakes, give me Aunt J.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •