Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 10,273 Times in 6,022 Posts
    Longenhagen prospects chat today

Adam: In a deep draft for college arms, does that make it easier for one of the top 3 teams to take a risk on Hunter Greene knowing they can probably get someone closer to the majors with their next pick?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Itís an interesting idea but itís easier to move the prep kids back than it is college.

Philip: Is JB Bukuaskas a starter for you?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Yes but not a total slam dunk. Iím less apt to write up someone as a pen arm because of height if the arm works well so it doesnít bother me that heís 6′, but there is some effort there. Heís filthy, though.

Conrad: ď(Nick) Allen began swinging lefthanded in the offseason, and his swing shows promise.Ē Thoughts?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Thinking a SoCal trip is a must this spring.

Seiya: Could you see the Padres taking DL Hall at 3, and giving out higher bonuses to later picks?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Not sure. Preller was at Vandy on Thursday to see Wright (so was Boras, btw) and they really only have one other pick to play with big moneyÖthereís less room for creativity this year. But I like how much you like Hall because I think heís a top 10 guy, too.

YouthBerry: How does J.J. Schwarz of Florida (2017 draft) compare to 2016ís college Catchers like Zack Collins and Matt Thaiss (moving off C I know)?
    Eric A Longenhagen: More power than Thaiss, more physical projection than Collins, I think Collins has a better chance to hit, better pitch recog and ability to deal with offspeed stuff.

YouthBerry: Thoughts on Jeren kendallís hit tool? He struck out 122 times in 435 college at-bats (28%), how concerning is that?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Yeah, youíve nailed the most difficult thing to nail down about his profile. The bat speed is there, for sure. And he has a good approach. But man, that swing path is kind of odd. If I knew he were going to hit for power, I wouldnít care. But Iím not sure about that yet, either.

Adam: It seems like Hunter Greene has a REALLY good fastball and a lot of projection. Is there more to his current repertoire or is his ranking dependent on his athleticism and aptitude?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Nope, I think youíre on it. The slider will flash and got better as last year went along. I saw him in the spring during his junior year, then all during the showcases and his feel for it improved. Wouldnít surprise me if it was a solid 55 this spring.

David: Good to see you out at USD last week! Since Wrightís disappointing start speaks for itself and Kendall spent the whole time getting walked and trying to buntÖ whatís your read on Will Toffey? Somewhere in the middle of Day 2 of the draft?
    Eric A Longenhagen: I though Wright was fine (itís February) and yeah, I didnít like some of Corbinís decisions that limited my look at Kendall. I liked Toffey. Good feet during in and out, plus arm, hands are kind of inconsistent. Great approach. Probably not prototypical power for third so yeah, day two to a team that prioritizes approach.

Jean: Iíd say Brice Turang has the following future ratings: 60 Hit, 60 Run, 50 Power, 55 Defense, 55 Arm. This is obviously very early, though would you agree with these tool grades?
    Eric A Longenhagen: You might be heavy on the power (if itís game) but otherwise I donít have a quarrel with you.

Michael: Have you gotten the chance to see Hans Crouse? What do you think of him?
    Eric A Longenhagen: Yes, several times. Was encouraging his stuff ticked up late last summer, the delivery is unique and tough to confidently say heís a starter.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (02-22-2017),Spanky99 (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,783 Times in 4,853 Posts
    Not prototypical power for third.

OK, but is he a good hitter? Are you capable of thinking in terms of wRC+?

I'm sure glad fangraphs replaced Dan Farnsworth, who was quite great, with an old school scouty type who apparently doesn't have access to YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,782 Times in 3,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I laugh at all those that don't project him number 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Scout is okay but they are still doing every sport and their writers/evaluators don't seem to stay for very long. They also don't update baseball much after
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

baubau (03-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I laugh at all those that don't project him number 1.
    Was listening to a podcast yesterday that said he's got 'old man skill' which is what is carrying him to such big numbers despite not being the top talent. Made me laugh.

Would draft for the name alone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r0s For This Useful Post:

silvergun (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Is that like old man strength? Because that shit can be terrifying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    Was listening to a podcast yesterday that said he's got 'old man skill' which is what is carrying him to such big numbers despite not being the top talent. Made me laugh.

Haha it's like they couldn't come up with anything to criticize so instead they knock him for being too advanced.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

KingKat (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Haha it's like they couldn't come up with anything to criticize so instead they knock him for being too advanced.
    If he's already physically matured, a lack of projectability COULD be a knock against him. Context matters, though - he may advance quickly and have great success almost immediately.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P2F For This Useful Post:

KingKat (02-22-2017),Spanky99 (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    If he's already physically matured, a lack of projectability COULD be a knock against him. Context matters, though - he may advance quickly and have great success almost immediately.
    Seems like lack of predictability should only matter if the results are less than stellar. If the player looks advanced but the results aren't quite there, you worry because there's no obvious route to improvement. If the results are there than it seems like kind of a dumb concern.
    "if this board died it would objectively be a good thing - NJH"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KingKat For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Seems like lack of predictability should only matter if the results are less than stellar. If the player looks advanced but the results aren't quite there, you worry because there's no obvious route to improvement. If the results are there than it seems like kind of a dumb concern.
    Yeah that's more or less what I was getting at. With so many prospects the hit tool is there and you wait/hope for in game power to show up.

Sure if this guy doesn't hit for power almost right away in pro ball, I get that there's grounds for concern due to lack of projection.

But as long as he continues thumping the ball like that ^ there shouldn't be concern but rather excitement over a potential fast moving prospect. I see no reason to care that the in game power arrived early if it doesn't fade away as he rises through the minors.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Would be really nice if they put some college Baseball on here in Canada. We get plenty of Basketball and Football. We even get NCAA Hockey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Would be really nice if they put some college Baseball on here in Canada. We get plenty of Basketball and Football. We even get NCAA Hockey.
    I enjoy being able to watch College Hockey, it's an exciting fast paced game with great atmosphere. I would definitely check out some NCAA baseball if they would broadcast some games up here, I don't know if that would draw enough ratings though.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,273 Times in 6,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    http://www.streamhub.hk/forum/showth...l-Streams-2017

Game links are posted here on the daily

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post

From my personal experience that would mean lack of balance (unless it's balancing beer on your belly), forgetfulness and flatulence.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

KingKat (02-22-2017),Pendleton (02-22-2017),Spanky99 (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    He left high school a year early so this would be his draft year coming up and the Twins have hinted that they would select him if eligible. So I struggle with the understanding of many ranking sites not liking him as an early favourite for number 1 in 2019. It was a great freshman class I understand that and Beer slowed down last year but it's still one I won't change my mind on.

Thanks
    MLB network is also airing NCAA games until Spring Training starts.