Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 242

Thread: 2017 BREAKOUT ALERT.. Kevin Pillar

  1. #33
    MVP gruber92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,199
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 43211234 View Post
    Did you post a 2016 breakout thread last spring when the story was he had worked with Donaldson's hitting coach Bobby Tewkbary?

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...st-a-defender/


    Pillar is probably going to be the same old guy. Hopefully he's past the thumb issue that seemed to really hamper him in the second half last season.
    Nah, wasn't me.

    It's just a simple observation based on what from what i saw in Sunday's game, that's it. Yes making predictions without years worth of relevant data is suicide here. I respect the way that most here view the game, but that's just not the way i prefer enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, i love stats, but there is a bigger human element to the game that people just refuse to recognize.

  2. #34
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,547
    Thanks
    2,178
    Thanked 8,041 Times in 5,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Nah, wasn't me.

    It's just a simple observation based on what from what i saw in Sunday's game, that's it. Yes making predictions without years worth of relevant data is suicide here. I respect the way that most here view the game, but that's just not the way i prefer enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, i love stats, but there is a bigger human element to the game that people just refuse to recognize.
    Probably because it leads to really stupid predictions that are destined to fail. Like, say, Kevin Pillar is going to break out because I saw him in one ST game and he looked good.

    You can enjoy the game however you want, but if you share it with everyone you open yourself up to ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

  3. #35
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,297
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    There's at least one.
    2. Are you for geting the politics thread?
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  4. #36
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,297
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Nah, wasn't me.

    It's just a simple observation based on what from what i saw in Sunday's game, that's it. Yes making predictions without years worth of relevant data is suicide here. I respect the way that most here view the game, but that's just not the way i prefer enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, i love stats, but there is a bigger human element to the game that people just refuse to recognize.
    Making predictions on anyone based on 1 game is stupid everywhere, not just here.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (03-01-2017),Pinkfloid (03-02-2017),Spanky99 (03-02-2017)

  6. #37
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,896
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 992 Times in 753 Posts
    Gruber, the most likely scenario is Pillar gets worse every year and is a 4th OF by 2019.... he's past his prime

  7. #38
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,896
    Thanks
    640
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 898 Posts
    Everyone has all the optimism in the world every spring and every team has a shot. Pillar will be what he always is. Slap the ball around, hit 10 or so HR's and not walk at all. He'll still be great in the field though.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krylian For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (03-02-2017)

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Did you ever stop and THINK that there may literally be people reading this board that are truly child molestors?
    We still need to make King feel welcome here.

  10. #40
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,297
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Everyone has all the optimism in the world every spring and every team has a shot. Pillar will be what he always is. Slap the ball around, hit 10 or so HR's and not walk at all. He'll still be great in the field though.
    For maybe about 2 or 3 more seasons, then his legs start to go, defense takes a nosedive and he loses the CF gig and cant play the corner OF because his below average bat wouldn't play there. 4th OF at best by 2019/2020.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  11. #41
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,757
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 832 Posts
    Pillar is going to OPS .900 in 2017 after this thread.

    You guys all said Goins would never stick. Gruber said he would. He has hung around for 900+ PA and counting. He's put up 3.6 bWAR in that time while earning the league minimum salary. This includes a very valuable 2.7 bWAR in two-thirds of a season in 2015 when the Jays desperately needed him for the playoff run. He's even pitched a shutout inning. You all hate on Gruber so much because deep down, you know he was right.

  12. #42
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,547
    Thanks
    2,178
    Thanked 8,041 Times in 5,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    Pillar is going to OPS .900 in 2017 after this thread.

    You guys all said Goins would never stick. Gruber said he would. He has hung around for 900+ PA and counting. He's put up 3.6 bWAR in that time while earning the league minimum salary. This includes a very valuable 2.7 bWAR in two-thirds of a season in 2015 when the Jays desperately needed him for the playoff run. He's even pitched a shutout inning. You all hate on Gruber so much because deep down, you know he was right.
    bWAR is for jabronis
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

    jays4life19 (03-02-2017),Spanky99 (03-02-2017)

  14. #43
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    40,051
    Thanks
    41,728
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 6,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    For maybe about 2 or 3 more seasons, then his legs start to go, defense takes a nosedive and he loses the CF gig and cant play the corner OF because his below average bat wouldn't play there. 4th OF at best by 2019/2020.
    That's fine... we then cut him loose. This thread was quite the read, though. lulz

  15. #44
    All Star JFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,417
    Thanks
    853
    Thanked 364 Times in 289 Posts
    oh good, so why don't they fix Smoak too if it's so easy.

  16. #45
    MVP gruber92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,199
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFD View Post
    oh good, so why don't they fix Smoak too if it's so easy.
    Because Smoak's only offensive value comes from power, which he would never sacrifice. He's probably just too dumb to make any necessary adjustments anyway. Pillar plays the position and possesses the natural ability to go short.

  17. #46
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    5,625
    Thanks
    1,821
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 988 Posts
    Pillar tried leg kicking last spring to add power and it didn't work. This year - shorten up and slap it around!

  18. #47
    MVP Stangstag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,341
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    bWAR is for jabronis
    Gave me a hearty chuckle

  19. #48
    MVP Stangstag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,341
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 981 Posts
    Gruber continues his excellence as the worst poster on this forum. Another great thread dude.

    If you're going to make a thread based on such a controversial opinion/projection/whatever, at least be willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •