Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 BREAKOUT ALERT.. Kevin Pillar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,499 Posts
    He needs to play farther back in the OF imo especially when Stroman is on the mound. He's had a few balls go over his head that should have been caught.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    He needs to play farther back in the OF imo especially when Stroman is on the mound. He's had a few balls go over his head that should have been caught.
    This is true for nearly all CF in the game. I really don't understand why they don't play a few steps deeper. It's like they think they need to get those broken bat flares taken away. If a dying quail falls in for a hit, who cares...it's a single. If a ball gets over your head, it's a double or triple. Its also easier to run in on a ball than to track one mashed over your head. To me it's a no brainer for CF to play probably 5 steps deeper than they currently do.

Of course alot depends on the hitter at the plate and if there's a runner on second, an the stage in the game etc...but generally speaking I believe they should play deeper.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Will remain to be seen what happens when the new book on him gets out to pitchers. He has shown an improvement in swinging on balls outside the zone, and a increase on contact in the zone.

His opposite field results though are at a career low, with a corresponding increase on balls hit up the middle. Pull rate is abouut the same. Once defenses realize they don't need to play him straight up and shift a bit up the middle and to the pull side he will have to make an adjustment back to an all fields approach, or his numbers will dry up.

Also i'm not really buying a 40 point ISO increase when his IFFB rate is also up and his flyball and grounder rates arent really out of line with his career averages.

You can see he's made changes, but those changes do not account for all of his massive increase in numbers. He's also benefitting from some very good batted ball luck, especially on ground balls.

To summarize, yes there's been improvements, but those changes don't take an 80 wrc+ hitter to 130.

The other bad news is that his defensive performance has slipped dramically. Some of that is randomness in opportunities and some isn't and I'm not saying he's suddenly bad, because that would be foolish to suggest. Just saying that so far his defense overall hasn't been positive and it should be expected to rebound somewhat.
    I'm not really worried about his defense or his base running for that matter.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    I'm not really worried about his defense or his base running for that matter.
    I'm not either, he's never really been a great baserunner so expecting it would be silly. Defense is part ability, part opportunity and part luck. His ability is still there, the other 2 will even out.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    This is true for nearly all CF in the game. I really don't understand why they don't play a few steps deeper. It's like they think they need to get those broken bat flares taken away. If a dying quail falls in for a hit, who cares...it's a single. If a ball gets over your head, it's a double or triple. Its also easier to run in on a ball than to track one mashed over your head. To me it's a no brainer for CF to play probably 5 steps deeper than they currently do.

Of course alot depends on the hitter at the plate and if there's a runner on second, an the stage in the game etc...but generally speaking I believe they should play deeper.
    He plays shallower when Stroman is on the mound which I think is wrong. Coaching staff needs to do a better job communicating this to the players. While Stroman gets
    alot of groundballs his flyballs aren't shallower because of that.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,862 Times in 6,036 Posts
    So many coaches.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (05-14-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    He said that playing shallow was stromans preference

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    If true, Stroman needs to STFU and pitch. Pillar to Stroman: you should throw more curveballs.

See how stupid that sounds

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Give credit where it is due. Good call Gruber. I think Pillar has simply matured a bit. The shortened swing, the improved discipline, and the acceptance of his role have made a tremendous difference. The kid believes in himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,872 Times in 4,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
    Give credit where it is due. Good call Gruber. I think Pillar has simply matured a bit. The shortened swing, the improved discipline, and the acceptance of his role have made a tremendous difference. The kid believes in himself.
    Credit where credit is due? Any prediction based on one game is absolutely retarded, no matter the outcome. A broken clock is right twice a day and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Credit where credit is due? Any prediction based on one game is absolutely retarded, no matter the outcome. A broken clock is right twice a day and all that.
    Lol.. Go piss up a rope you miserable fuck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. Go piss up a rope you miserable fuck.
    Haha you give the best insults

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    I remember specifically that Stroman told him to play a bit shallower and if it was hit over Pillar's head then that was on him (Stroman). Now, whether or not that should be the pitchers call is another thing...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,253 Posts
    Kevin Pillar >> AJ Pollock

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 3,253 Posts
    Kevin Pillar >> Starling Marte

Thanks
    Thanked 7,872 Times in 4,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdyment View Post
    I remember specifically that Stroman told him to play a bit shallower and if it was hit over Pillar's head then that was on him (Stroman). Now, whether or not that should be the pitchers call is another thing...
    His ego is out of control. Christ, what a fucking idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.