Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Beer won't even be in contention for a ~Top 2-3 pick by the time the draft actually happens. He's very good, but hardly as otherworldly as people are billing him. He'll be picked apart by draft day, and bat-only players who don't play a premium position don't tend to contend for the top pick. #TankForBeer? He's hitting .266 so far this season.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,877 Times in 4,909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Beer won't even be in contention for a ~Top 2-3 pick by the time the draft actually happens. He's very good, but hardly as otherworldly as people are billing him. He'll be picked apart by draft day, and bat-only players who don't play a premium position don't tend to contend for the top pick. #TankForBeer? He's hitting .266 so far this season.
    This is so disingenuous. First off, no one should be judging anyone based on batting average. Secondly, that was an incredibly dishonest way to denigrate Beer. He has a 8:22 k:bb, an ISO around .330 and a 1.070 OPS. That is without taking into account the ridiculousness of judging a guy on less than 20 games in the first place. It's not his fault if no one wants to pitch to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,150 Posts
    You just don't know that at this point. So much can and most certainly will happen between now and the 2018 draft, that it's almost useless to opine on currently. Word is that Beer can play the outfield fairly well, for what it's worth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    This is so disingenuous. First off, no one should be judging anyone based on batting average. Secondly, that was an incredibly dishonest way to denigrate Beer. He has a 8:22 k:bb, an ISO around .330 and a 1.070 OPS. That is without taking into account the ridiculousness of judging a guy on less than 20 games in the first place. It's not his fault if no one wants to pitch to him.
    It's absolutely his fault. If he was shitty they'd be lining up to pitch to him.

Thanks
    Probably a better chance of us taking Brady Singer
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,284 Posts

Not hot. No thanks. I want a good looking ball player with some Latin flavour. Go find me the next Francisco Lindor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post

Not hot. No thanks. I want a good looking ball player with some Latin flavour. Go find me the next Francisco Lindor.
    That would've been Kevin Maitan

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Its not disingenuous at all. His power is real; but Pro pitching isn't going to shit their pants and pitch around him every at bat, so the over-inflated walk rate won't continue. How am I denigrating him? By not anointing him as the #1 overall pick LOL? The history of bat-only players going that high is virtually nonexistent, and I simply don't believe Beer to be a generational hitter or anything of that sort.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    I brought up his batting average to simply point out that its beyond silly to pretend like he's already locked up #1 overall next season when he's only hitting .266 right now. I don't buy for a second that being pitched around is the full and only explanation to his batting average which is literally dead last among Clemson's starting lineup by over 10 points. Lots of guys have been pitched around and it didn't conclude in them hitting .266, and I'd like to assume that a #1 overall pick who plays no premium position is going to hit better than .266 in College. Obviously anything can happen by next year's draft, but I expect you'll find that Beer falls in the 3-5 range as opposed to being a lock for #1.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,274 Times in 6,023 Posts
    I brought up his batting average to simply point out that its beyond silly to pretend like he's already locked up #1 overall next season when he's only hitting .266 right now. I don't buy for a second that being pitched around is the full and only explanation to his batting average which is literally dead last among Clemson's starting lineup by over 10 points. Lots of guys have been pitched around and it didn't conclude in them hitting .266, and I'd like to assume that a #1 overall pick who plays no premium position is going to hit better than .266 in College. Obviously anything can happen by next year's draft, but I expect you'll find that Beer falls in the 3-5 range as opposed to being a lock for #1.
    His BABIP is .209. Considering he hits the ball as hard as a rocket probably fair to assume his low batting average is due to unlucky batted ball data over 50 PA...

Thanks
    I like how we are all putting huge stock into batting average of a guy who just rakes 50 AB into the season before his draft year.

Thanks
    Lots of sites have him in that range. As of now he will not go 1...but could do to the time between now and the draft
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I like how we are all putting huge stock into batting average of a guy who just rakes 50 AB into the season before his draft year.
    I'm not putting "huge stock" into anything.

I like how we're anointing a guy #1 overall over a year before his draft date (#TankForBeer!) despite the fact that history has proven time and time again that these early-career superstars almost never maintain #1 status by the time they are actually draft eligible, and players of Beer's mold (all bat, spotty at best defensive outlook) have very little history of actually going #1 overall.

Thanks
    I'm not putting "huge stock" into anything.

I like how we're anointing a guy #1 overall over a year before his draft date (#TankForBeer!) despite the fact that history has proven time and time again that these early-career superstars almost never maintain #1 status by the time they are actually draft eligible, and players of Beer's mold (all bat, spotty at best defensive outlook) have very little history of actually going #1 overall.
    It's tercet lmao.

I agree with you. No one is a lock to go #1 this early.

Thanks
    No one is arguing that. Boxy and friends are arguing your over analysis of his batting average.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,877 Times in 4,909 Posts
    Its not disingenuous at all. His power is real; but Pro pitching isn't going to shit their pants and pitch around him every at bat, so the over-inflated walk rate won't continue. How am I denigrating him? By not anointing him as the #1 overall pick LOL? The history of bat-only players going that high is virtually nonexistent, and I simply don't believe Beer to be a generational hitter or anything of that sort.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think you know what denigrate means. Saying "he won't be in contention for even the 2-3 pick" and the only real thing in that post is his batting average, I'd call that some pretty unfair criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.