Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays Rebuilding Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    They have to overcome a lot including the fact that no 1-9 team has ever made the playoffs in the history of Baseball.
    This is true and a sad reality for this team and us as fans to have to come to grips with so early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't think anyone wants it blown up yet. That conversation is still two months away.
    This is also true and the two realities are not mutually exclusive. I want to see the Jays at least bring back some respectability to the franchise by moving close to .500 over the next few weeks before we start to face the inevitable retooling.

This losing streak has been a nightmare and today's win felt like a huge relief. More winning please, then we can start to analyze the coming changes...
    "The earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is infinite!" Gustave Flaubert.

Thanks
    Could see Mets as a destination for Donaldson.

What could we get back? Conforto+?

Would love Rosario

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by george09 View Post
    Could see Mets as a destination for Donaldson.

What could we get back? Conforto+?

Would love Rosario
    Yes, David Wright is a corpse now, but he's still signed through 2020 and happens to be their franchise player. I don't see Mets as a fit.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Amed Rosario from the Mets

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    They have to overcome a lot including the fact that no 1-9 team has ever made the playoffs in the history of Baseball.
    Maybe so but some teams have overcome similarly awful starts.

From a recent fangraphs article:

"The Mariners could take heart in what happened in 2011. That year, both the Red Sox and Rays opened 2-8, and the Tigers opened 3-7. They wound up with 90, 91, and 95 wins, respectively, with the Tigers and Rays making the playoffs and the Red Sox just missing. Those Red Sox are remembered for their late-season meltdown, not the early-season sputtering."

Another one:

"Can the Toronto Blue Jays become the first team to make the postseason after starting the season 1-9? The odds are against them, but itís certainly not impossible. Teams have suffered long losing streaks and gone on to play playoff baseball before. When the final standings are tabulated, 1-9 in mid-summer counts the same as 1-9 in early April.

Bad starts arenít insurmountable. The 1951 New York Giants won two of their first three, then lost 11 straight. Six months later, Russ Hodges was shouting ďThe Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!Ē "

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by over500 View Post
    Yes, David Wright is a corpse now, but he's still signed through 2020 and happens to be their franchise player. I don't see Mets as a fit.
    Jays can take Wright off their hands.

Thanks
    Depending on Happs injury, with Sanchez out, this thread just became real. Counting down to July 31st.
    Best thing that could have happened is to suck hard so there is no debating a sell off...well other then being good that is.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 679 Posts
    Rosario, Conforto + for Donaldson? Come on, let's get some ideas going. It's going to be a long year. We'll have nothing better to talk about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,161 Posts
    Conforto, Rosario and Andres Gimenez or Justin Dunn for Donaldson. Who says no? My guess would be the Mets, though it's probably close to fair.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,473 Times in 7,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Conforto, Rosario and Andres Gimenez or Justin Dunn for Donaldson. Who says no? My guess would be the Mets, though it's probably close to fair.
    That seems like a pretty reasoanble deal for both teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wk680 View Post
    Maybe so but some teams have overcome similarly awful starts.

From a recent fangraphs article:

"The Mariners could take heart in what happened in 2011. That year, both the Red Sox and Rays opened 2-8, and the Tigers opened 3-7. They wound up with 90, 91, and 95 wins, respectively, with the Tigers and Rays making the playoffs and the Red Sox just missing. Those Red Sox are remembered for their late-season meltdown, not the early-season sputtering."

Another one:

"Can the Toronto Blue Jays become the first team to make the postseason after starting the season 1-9? The odds are against them, but it’s certainly not impossible. Teams have suffered long losing streaks and gone on to play playoff baseball before. When the final standings are tabulated, 1-9 in mid-summer counts the same as 1-9 in early April.

Bad starts aren’t insurmountable. The 1951 New York Giants won two of their first three, then lost 11 straight. Six months later, Russ Hodges was shouting “The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!” "
    So you have to go back 66 years.

I think anyone who thought this team was a contender now knows that this season is a write-off. And they should also realize that next year they'll​ just be one year older​ (and not better).

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SAAviour View Post
    Depending on Happs injury, with Sanchez out, this thread just became real. Counting down to July 31st.
    Best thing that could have happened is to suck hard so there is no debating a sell off...well other then being good that is.
    With that being said, we still need all our trade chips to play well. JD out for a month, is going to hurt his stock. Happ/Estrada need to pitch lights out, but I still don't think they will get as much in return as we think. But, at least the direction of the team is clear, unless Rogers is in denial and still wants to hold onto the 'window' lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    So you have to go back 66 years.

I think anyone who thought this team was a contender now knows that this season is a write-off. And they should also realize that next year they'll​ just be one year older​ (and not better).
    Agreed. But it is not exactly 66 years. More like 6: Red Sox in 2011 starting 2-8 and ending up with 90 wins. Jays could have gone from 2-10 to 88 wins and maybe get WC. Of course that would be before all the injuries piling up. Now I think they will be lucky to get 75 wins.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Can't see the Mets doing it although I'd love that a the Jays. There just really isn't a 2nd team to drive up the price to that level. Maybe if the Jays add in a 2nd piece

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wk680 View Post
    Agreed. But it is not exactly 66 years. More like 6: Red Sox in 2011 starting 2-8 and ending up with 90 wins. Jays could have gone from 2-10 to 88 wins and maybe get WC. Of course that would be before all the injuries piling up. Now I think they will be lucky to get 75 wins.
    Blah honestly my dumbass is so optimistic with the Jays if we swept the Red Sox in this upcoming series I'd believe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    Blah honestly my dumbass is so optimistic with the Jays if we swept the Red Sox in this upcoming series I'd believe.
    As none of the injuries are known to be long term yet, I guess it is still in the realm of possibility they could salvage this season and sneak into a WC spot. But guys need to start hitting and somehow at least tread around .500 level of play for the next few weeks with JD on the shelf. If they continue to flounder and fall to 10 GB of the 2nd WC, it will probably be too much to overcome, no matter how hot they may get later on in the season.