• SD
    NYM
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
  • SF
    PIT
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET

Thread: MiLB Recap April 18 2017 (Pentecost back to catching)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,117 Times in 5,944 Posts

MiLB Recap April 18 2017 (Pentecost back to catching)

The Bisons wasted little time in bringing their winning ways back to Coca-Cola Field.

The Herd started its second homestand of the season with a 4-3 victory over the Norfolk Tides on Tuesday night. Buffalo scored in each of the first three innings and held on for the win in their first non-divisional test of 2017.

Coming off a series win in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre over the weekend, the Bisons picked up right where they left off against the Tides. Batting in the second spot for the first time this season, Dwight Smith Jr. drove a 1-2 offering from Norfolk starter Gabriel Ynoa into the centerfield pavilion area for his second home run of the season.

Smith Jr. struck again in the second inning as the Bisons once again took advantage of their opponent's errors. Tides shortstop Robert Andino misplayed a pair of grounders, allowing the Herd to put runners on first and second base. With two outs, Smith Jr. lined a single to center to score Jason Leblebijian.

Buffalo the offense coming in the third inning as Alex Monsalve picked up another two-out RBI-hit, singling home Darrel Ceciliani, who was playing in his first game from a week stint on the disabled list.

Murphy Smith earned the win for Buffalo, allowing just a hit over three innings of relief in his first outing of the season. The righty was promoted to the Bisons over the weekend from Double-A New Hampshire.

Norfolk fought back late in the game, making the score 3-2 in the seventh inning on Andino's third home run of the season. An important insurance for the Herd came in the eighth when Jake Elmore drove in Mike Ohlman with a sac fly. The Tides tallied in the ninth to close to within 4-3, but Chad Girodo got David Washington to ground out with two men on base to end the game.

For Girodo, the save was his second on the season.

The Bisons and Tides battle again on Wednesday night with a 6:05 p.m. first pitch from Coca-Cola Field.

BISONS NOTES: Dwight Smith Jr. ended the game 2-4 with a home run and two RBI. He now has two homers and five RBI in his last three contest…Casey Lawrence started for the Bisons and struck out three while allowing a run in two innings of work…Before the game, the Blue Jays promoted INF Ty Kelly and RHP Danny Barnes from the Bisons, making roster space for the Herd to activate OF Darrell Ceciliani and LHP Matt Dermody.

Trenton, NJ - The New Hampshire Fisher Cats (5-6) couldn't sustain an early 1-0 lead over the Trenton Thunder (7-4) Tuesday night, dropping their second consecutive game after the New York Yankees affiliate scored five runs between the seventh and eighth to win 5-1.

Tim Lopes got the Fisher Cats on the board early. The Huntington Beach, CA native plated Harold Ramirez - who had reached earlier via a walk - with a two out double off of Thunder starter Justus Sheffield (ND, 1-0). It was the first earned run allowed by Sheffield (#7 Yankees prospect per MLB.com) this season.

New Hampshire starter Sean Reid-Foley (ND, 0-1) went a season-high three innings and Dusty Isaacs followed with two scoreless frames to hold the lead, but Trenton managed to score an unearned run against reliever Carlos Ramirez in the seventh without recording a hit to tie the game.

A four-run eighth proved to be the difference in the game. The Thunder tagged Alonzo Gonzalez (L, 0-1) for six singles to bring home the eventual winning run and more, downing New Hampshire for the second straight night.

Top Blue Jays prospect Anthony Alford continued his scorching start to the 2017 season. Alford collected two hits, walked and stole a base to extend his on base streak to ten consecutive games. The former Ole Miss defensive back leads the league with a .514 batting average.

The Fisher Cats will send RHP Conner Greene (0-1, 4.82 ERA) to the mound tomorrow night against RHP Chance Adams (2-0, 0.79 ERA). First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. and can be heard on AM 610 WGIR or online via iHeartRadio.

The Dunedin Blue Jays (6-7) used stellar defense to stay in the game for eleven innings against the St. Lucie Mets (7-6), but their luck ran out in extras when the Mets strung together three hits and two walks for five runs in the eleventh inning to hand the Jays a 10-5 loss.

Without clutch defensive plays from CF Lane Thomas and 1B Juan Kelly, the Blue Jays would have fallen sooner Tuesday night. Thomas stopped a first-inning Mets rally by throwing out St. Lucie 3B Anthony Dimino at home from centerfield. Thomas threw out Dimino again in the third inning at third base and then rifled out Mets 1B Jhoan Urena at third in the fifth inning for his third assist of the game from the outfield.

With the game tied 5-5 in the tenth and runners at the corners with no outs, Kelly made a phenomenal diving snag on a line drive up the first base line to rob C Patrick Mazeika of extra bases and at least one RBI. Following an intentional walk, Blue Jays reliever Kender Villegas struck out consecutive batters to escape the bases loaded jam without any runs scoring.

The Blue Jays luck ran out the following inning when St. Lucie 3B Anthony Dimino tripled in a pair of runs. After a walk to the next hitter, Jhoan Urena put the game away with a three-run home run into the netting above the Blue Jays bullpen in rightfield.

Prior to the eleventh, the Blue Jays bullpen had thrown five scoreless innings, allowing just three hits. Villegas was charged with the loss, his first of the year, and Mets reliever Johnny Magliozzi picked up the win, his second.

The Blue Jays offense finished with double-digit hits for the second straight game. Their attack was led by RF Derrick Loveless who finished 4-6 with a pair of doubles. Those two doubles moved him past his own teammate Juan Kelly, who was 2-4 with a double of his own, for the Florida State League lead in two-base hits. To go along with his three assists in the outfield, Lane Thomas also had a pair of hits, including a triple. He now leads the FSL in triples (3).

The Blue Jays and Mets continue their four-game series tomorrow in Dunedin. LHP Angel Perdomo will take the mound for the Jays against RHP Thomas McIlraith.

Of Note

Max Pentecost started the game behind the plate at catcher for Dunedin. After being taken in the first round (11th overall) of the 2014 draft by the Blue Jays, injuries cost him the entire 2015 season and have prevented him from playing behind the plate defensively. His last official game at catcher prior to tonight was on July 24, 2014.

DAYTON, OH - One night after letting an early six-run lead slip away, the Dayton Dragons (8-4) built an eleven-run lead and sailed to an 11-2 victory over the Lansing Lugnuts (7-5) on Tuesday night at Fifth Third Field.

The Dragons had scored seven runs in the first inning on Monday night, but watched a 7-1 lead turn into a 13-9 loss.

They made certain that the same did not hold true on Tuesday, turning a dropped fly by left fielder Edward Olivares into a four-run first-inning rally and tacking on five more runs in the fourth inning. John Sansone's two-run double in the fifth added icing on the cake, increasing the lead to 11-0.

Lansing starter Justin Maese (Loss, 1-2) was charged with all 11 runs, seven earned, on ten hits and three walks in 4 2/3 innings, striking out five. From the Lugnuts' bullpen, Geno Encina allowed two inherited runs, tossing 2 1/3 innings. Tayler Saucedo pitched a scoreless eighth.

Dayton starter Scott Moss (Win, 1-1) pitched 5 1/3 innings, limiting the Lugnuts to sixth-inning RBI groundouts from Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. and Bradley Jones. Reliever Tony Fossas pitched the final 3 2/3 innings scorelessly for his first save.

In the losing cause, shortstop Bo Bichette went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a walk, while third baseman Guerrero singled in four at-bats to extend his on-base streak to 12 games.

The result sets up at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday rubber match, pitting Lansing right-hander Patrick Murphy (1-0, 4.91) against Dragons southpaw Wennington Romero (1-0, 4.35).

The Nuts return home on Thursday, April 20th, opening a seven-game homestand with a Labatt Thirsty Thursday featuring $2 beers and sodas, plus half off craft beers. Tickets may be purchased at the Cooley Law School Stadium box office, by calling (517) 485-4500 or via lansinglugnuts.com.

Kings 3 Stars of the Night

1) Derrick Loveless

2) Juan Kelly

3) Dwight Smith Jr.

Kings Platinum Arencibia

1) Kender Villegas

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

bones10 (04-19-2017),bronson44 (04-19-2017),jerb (04-19-2017),Maahfaace (04-19-2017),mtljaysfan (04-19-2017),Terminator (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Leblejian looks like he's doing well

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    I wonder if we see Dwight Smith Jr this year? I never actually thought he would turn into anything but he's held his own, not tearing the cover off the ball but some power showing up last year.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    I wonder if we see Dwight Smith Jr this year? I never actually thought he would turn into anything but he's held his own, not tearing the cover off the ball but some power showing up last year.
    Was wondering the same. He may not be a star but seems like someone that keeps getting better and holding his own every time he is promoted.
    Alford is the hottest hitter in baseball right now. 50 points higher than closest guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Was wondering the same. He may not be a star but seems like someone that keeps getting better and holding his own every time he is promoted.
    Alford is the hottest hitter in baseball right now. 50 points higher than closest guy.
    Dwight Smith looks the best of all the depth outfielders right now. Cecilini and Ramirez are off to brutal starts and Alford though he is on the 40 too, is not a guy's whose service time you want to mess with. Smith isn't on the 40 but he isn't a long term asset so it's not a big deal if you add him to deal with an issue. That being said, Pompey looked so good in the spring that Smith probably doesn't have any real window. They can cover the outfield with utility (and really Smith should have been converted to that kind of player by now).
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Dwight Smith looks the best of all the depth outfielders right now. Cecilini and Ramirez are off to brutal starts and Alford though he is on the 40 too, is not a guy's whose service time you want to mess with. Smith isn't on the 40 but he isn't a long term asset so it's not a big deal if you add him to deal with an issue. That being said, Pompey looked so good in the spring that Smith probably doesn't have any real window. They can cover the outfield with utility (and really Smith should have been converted to that kind of player by now).
    Convert DSJ to util? Remember at the draft, he had some history of playing the infield. In 2014 Toronto did give him a crack at playing 2B but it was very short lived.

He either failed brilliantly or they just pulled the plug for some other reason and never tried again.

Judging solely from games played, it looks like they are still trying to keep his fringe-fringe CF skills alive. But it seems like he's just a pure LF and there's no other way to make him work as a ball player.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (04-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Convert DSJ to util? Remember at the draft, he had some history of playing the infield. In 2014 Toronto did give him a crack at playing 2B but it was very short lived.

He either failed brilliantly or they just pulled the plug for some other reason and never tried again.

Judging solely from games played, it looks like they are still trying to keep his fringe-fringe CF skills alive. But it seems like he's just a pure LF and there's no other way to make him work as a ball player.
    It's true that the conversion to 2B has been rumoured from day one and it's a big stretch to think that the org wouldn't see the benefit of added versatility. He must be pretty bad but it doesn't seem like they gave him much of a chance to work on it either. He could never back up more than 2B in the infield but given the question marks around Travis, a AAAA 2B wouldn't be a bad thing to have for depth. He must be positively Refsnyder like in the field.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post

I remember when he was drafted people were saying he didn't have the body or mobility to play other positions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    If the Jays go into a rebuild, DSJ would be a good stopgap option for the Jays OF

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    If the Jays go into a rebuild, DSJ would be a good stopgap option for the Jays OF
    Would be an interesting OF of Pompey, Pillar and DSJ, though I'm not sure hitting single digit homers from all your OF would be a good thing.
    ****FREE SPANKY****