85. You may not vote on this poll

34 40.00%

51 60.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 or 81?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,276 Times in 6,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Massive difference in hockey. More often than not, you only find star players early in the draft.
    This is blatantly false. Good players come from outside the top 20 picks every year.

Thanks
    This thread is terrible. Jonn deserves a ban just for starting it.

Thanks
    I don't care, ban Jonn anyway.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

BTS (04-21-2017),GD (04-21-2017),Orgfiller (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Good Grief!

Thanks
    What if we all just PVR'd the games so the TV ratings stay high, but not actually watch them? We can pretend to be interested in a 50 win ball club.

Personally, I don't mind that they suck so early in the season. I feel like I dedicate way too much of my life to watching the Jays. So if we're going to be terrible, just get it over with. Plus the NHL playoffs are on so I can just watch that.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    They've already done the research geniuses.

Drafting #1 overall (or #1-5) gives you a significantly higher chance of finding a player that actually makes the league, as well as a significantly higher chance of finding an impact player.

Yes, its an imperfect science. No shit. Its not as much of a crapshoot as you all seem to think however. You're also completely discounting the MLB's slotting system in which teams picking #1 overall are given massive advantages over every other team, which means that its not just about who you pick at #1, but also about the fact that you have an advantage in getting MORE players later as well if you play it smart.

MLB drafts are a year-to-year case. For instance, I felt that last year was a very poor year to have the #1 pick. Why? No consensus top player led the Phillies into taking a somewhat-toolsy, somewhat-polished HS center fielder that doesn't exactly have superstar potential even if he makes it. Next year actually looks like a strong year to have the #1 pick as you already have several very good college prospects who have been performing at high rates much earlier than expected. Barring some sort of total collapse, whoever picks #1 next year isn't likely to be settling for a Mickey Moniak type player at #1.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    This thread is terrible. Jonn deserves a ban just for starting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I don't care, ban Jonn anyway.
    I didn't even start the thread lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,195 Times in 2,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post

Drafting #1 overall (or #1-5) gives you a significantly higher chance of finding a player that actually makes the league, as well as a significantly higher chance of finding an impact player.

Yes, its an imperfect science. No shit. Its not as much of a crapshoot as you all seem to think however. You're also completely discounting the MLB's slotting system in which teams picking #1 overall are given massive advantages over every other team, which means that its not just about who you pick at #1, but also about the fact that you have an advantage in getting MORE players later as well if you play it smart.

MLB drafts are a year-to-year case. For instance, I felt that last year was a very poor year to have the #1 pick. Why? No consensus top player led the Phillies into taking a somewhat-toolsy, somewhat-polished HS center fielder that doesn't exactly have superstar potential even if he makes it. Next year actually looks like a strong year to have the #1 pick as you already have several very good college prospects who have been performing at high rates much earlier than expected. Barring some sort of total collapse, whoever picks #1 next year isn't likely to be settling for a Mickey Moniak type player at #1.

I was really pointing out the difference between hockey & baseball drafts. We can't just trade our best players for draft picks, then tank and pick Austin Matthews and be a postseason contender in 2 years. Baseball just doesn't work that way.

It'd be different if we could trade players for draft picks and load up on a strong year but until that happens I'd rather focus on getting the right haul for my best pieces if I'm a .500 team. It's much easier to project the players you're getting back via trade compared to drafting HS students 4 years away from development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    http://www.breakingblue.ca/2014/03/1...f-draft-picks/
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    climate change (lol)

Thanks
    Is Chris Carruthers JFaS?
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    Yes.

Banned
    Thanks
    50......they made flex packs terrible, ruined the flexibility and expected people to pay more for tickets for a team of aging turds whose window for a WS was close - all as they made these greedy, shite decisions. Let the attendanxe and Rogers' wallet suffer a little.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    Where did JFaS go? Didn't he get a job with a team or something?

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    I was really pointing out the difference between hockey & baseball drafts. We can't just trade our best players for draft picks, then tank and pick Austin Matthews and be a postseason contender in 2 years. Baseball just doesn't work that way.

It'd be different if we could trade players for draft picks and load up on a strong year but until that happens I'd rather focus on getting the right haul for my best pieces if I'm a .500 team. It's much easier to project the players you're getting back via trade compared to drafting HS students 4 years away from development.
    Obviously; I'm not sure why these comparisons to hockey are even being brought up. No, you're not going to draft #1 overall in baseball and have that propel you into the playoffs two years later, but to pretend like "it doesn't matter" in baseball or that its a "total crapshoot" is pure crap. Yes, the MLB draft is more volatile, but like I said, you also can't scheme the draft in any of the other major sports like you can in baseball. Case in point: the Astros got Daz Cameron, a ~Top 15 talent, at pick #39 due to the sheer bargaining power they had in being able to talk him into scaring every other team off by flaunting a price tag that only the Astros could come even close to. Whether or not Cameron succeeds is irrelevant to the fact that you can't do that shit in any of the other sports, which means that that there IS quite a bit of power that comes with picking #1 in baseball. To argue that picking #1 vs. #15 means nothing because Mike Trout wen't #25 one year is stupid, really stupid.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,642 Times in 7,555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Where did JFaS go? Didn't he get a job with a team or something?
    No. That's a common misconception. What actually happened was some illegal communication between him and one of the minors on the site (King I think?), that resulted in a permaban, and incarceration for JFaS. He's in prison now for 5-10 years, and can't ever come within 100 feet of a school again. Not sure what exactly he did though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

GD (04-21-2017),SirBJay (04-21-2017),Terminator (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    I don't like to talk about it.