STL 0
    Pre-Game
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Ramirez DFA'd

Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 5,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Look I hate Tepera as much as the next guy, but he's also struck out almost a batter an inning and has posted 0.4 WAR over his past 35 innings.
    Striking out "almost a batter per inning" is nothing when you're walking 4+ as well. He's just plain bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,011 Times in 5,391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    This FO seems very hesitant when it comes to replacing marginal talent with higher-upside marginal talent. I guess it's probably about not disrupting the clubhouse if a guy is well-liked? I dunno, Ramirez seems more desirable than Tepera to me. Legit strikeout stuff.
    Tepera has an option, and they called up Bolsinger. This is dumn.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    This FO seems very hesitant when it comes to replacing marginal talent with higher-upside marginal talent. I guess it's probably about not disrupting the clubhouse if a guy is well-liked? I dunno, Ramirez seems more desirable than Tepera to me. Legit strikeout stuff.
    Well, Ramirez was literal garbage last year and plenty of clubs haven't found him to be worth a roster spot, so "marginal upgrade" may be the most flattering way you could put that move. I hate Tepera but even if he's worth nothing in the clubhouse, it's probably not worth showing players that they're basically livestock to swap them out for guys who probably suck just as much.

Besides, Ramirez will probably make it through waivers so they'll likely still have the option to switch him out with Tepera if they really need to.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Ramirez never had a chance to be claimed before Toronto claimed him. Hard to say if they can get him through to Buffalo. My guess is a team like Texas picks him up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays222 View Post
    Ramirez never had a chance to be claimed before Toronto claimed him. Hard to say if they can get him through to Buffalo. My guess is a team like Texas picks him up.
    Actually he went through the entire NL without being claimed. They probably never had interest in keeping him on the MLB roster. The plan was likely always trying to get him to Buffalo. I thought they would send Barnes down. So I'm glad they didn't.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Actually he went through the entire NL without being claimed. They probably never had interest in keeping him on the MLB roster. The plan was likely always trying to get him to Buffalo. I thought they would send Barnes down. So I'm glad they didn't.
    Meant to write no AL team had a chance to claim Ramirez.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Striking out "almost a batter per inning" is nothing when you're walking 4+ as well. He's just plain bad.
    Looks up Neil Ramirez's careers stats...

10.76 K/9, 4.40 BB/9

That's basically Tepera this year...this really isn't worth discussing. I'm with Twisted on this - don't treat them like livestock.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 5,928 Posts
    Looks up Neil Ramirez's careers stats...

10.76 K/9, 4.40 BB/9

That's basically Tepera this year...this really isn't worth discussing. I'm with Twisted on this - don't treat them like livestock.
    I know Ramirez career stats. He was a former top prospect with good stuff that excelled as a reliever in 2014 - thats the reason he keeps getting claimed by every team. Also, his strikeout numbers are elite this year.

His career was derailed by shoulder issues in 2015 and 2016.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I know Ramirez career stats. He was a former top prospect with good stuff that excelled as a reliever in 2014 - thats the reason he keeps getting claimed by every team. Also, his strikeout numbers are elite this year.
    He's thrown 10 innings this year man. I get everything you said and given the season we're having, it would have been nice to find a way to give him a shot for the very slim outside chance he's actually not a JAG like Tepera. Reality is his velocity is down a couple of ticks from 2014 and he's probably shit. Despite the pedigree, he's never really shown anything to suggest he's more than a Ryan Tepera. You can shit on Tepera's numbers - but there's basically the same as Ramirez's.

Thanks
    He's thrown 10 innings this year man. I get everything you said and given the season we're having, it would have been nice to find a way to give him a shot for the very slim outside chance he's actually not a JAG like Tepera. Reality is his velocity is down a couple of ticks from 2014 and he's probably shit. Despite the pedigree, he's never really shown anything to suggest he's more than a Ryan Tepera. You can shit on Tepera's numbers - but there's basically the same as Ramirez's.
    Thing is, Tepera has an option? DFA'ing Ramirez makes no sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,702 Times in 3,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Thing is, Tepera has an option? DFA'ing Ramirez makes no sense.
    Sure it does. A lot of waiver claims are just the team trying to sneak some depth into their system. This is how the team acquired Maille.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Sure it does. A lot of waiver claims are just the team trying to sneak some depth into their system. This is how the team acquired Maille.
    Over Tepera, c'mon. It was stupid, imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,702 Times in 3,657 Posts
    No I really don't think it was. You can't just give Ramirez a spot just because he doesn't have options. There's a more risk in doing that than in seeing if Ramirez can clear. He's a nice flyer to take and I hope he clears but I didn't make sense to just hand him a spot unless Tepera was really shitting the bed. I don't love Tepera but somehow he seems to have managed to make himself serviceable. FIP under four last year and so far this year again. That's not great but it's not "demote so we can take a flyer on some guy who was legit terrible last year" level bad either. The way more sensible move here is to try to sneak Ramirez.
    "When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, dinosaurs they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me. Then I bust out." - Mookie Wilson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,177 Posts
    If he clears it's irrelevant. Not worth getting upset about. Tepera has had some good outings lately. Ramirez would not have pitched much. We can only afford to have so many pitchers trying to figure things out on our active roster. Grilli and Howell have been a disaster. Leone and Loup have been a dumpster fire of late. We need some kind of consistency and Tepera has done a good job of giving up mutiple scoreless innings.

Thanks
    No I really don't think it was. You can't just give Ramirez a spot just because he doesn't have options. There's a more risk in doing that than in seeing if Ramirez can clear. He's a nice flyer to take and I hope he clears but I didn't make sense to just hand him a spot unless Tepera was really shitting the bed. I don't love Tepera but somehow he seems to have managed to make himself serviceable. FIP under four last year and so far this year again. That's not great but it's not "demote so we can take a flyer on some guy who was legit terrible last year" level bad either. The way more sensible move here is to try to sneak Ramirez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    If he clears it's irrelevant. Not worth getting upset about. Tepera has had some good outings lately. Ramirez would not have pitched much. We can only afford to have so many pitchers trying to figure things out on our active roster. Grilli and Howell have been a disaster. Leone and Loup have been a dumpster fire of late. We need some kind of consistency and Tepera has done a good job of giving up mutiple scoreless innings.
    I'll agree to disagree... also I'm not upset Jonn, that shit isn't good for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,704 Times in 6,978 Posts
    I don't really care about this either way because they'll probably both be out of the majors by 2019, but I don't understand what risk you see with optioning Tepera to make room for a guy who might (and might not) be a bit better than Tepera but who doesn't have options. That's exactly what options are for and how teams use them: to yo-yo marginal players back and forth from AAA to suit their needs. Taking a flier on Ramirez is absolutely a valid reason for optioning Tepera. I mean, it's Ryan Tepera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-10-2017)