• DET
    MIN
    Preview
    12:10 PM ET
  • TOR
    NYY
    Preview
    1:07 PM ET
  • CIN
    BOS
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • NYM
    WSH
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • ATL
    PHI
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • PIT
    STL
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • BAL
    TB
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • MIL
    CHC
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • CWS
    KC
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • OAK
    TEX
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • SEA
    CLE
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • ARI
    MIA
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • LAD
    SF
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • SD
    COL
    Preview
    4:40 PM ET
  • HOU
    LAA
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 257 to 266 of 266

Thread: GDT 4/4 Seattle Mariners @ Toronto Blue Jays

  1. #257
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,985
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 502 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I would normally agree with that sentiment, but not with this current version of the Blue Jays.

    The rebuild is already happening down as the minor leagues, as we most definitely have a top 10 farm system with a number of impact prospects on the horizon. There is no impetus to get desperate with key pieces like Estrada and Donaldson. With Estrada specifically, taking our chances at re-signing him with a pick as a consolation prize is still a good result for us.

    In the event that we contend, this is essentially the same team as last year that will require the same sort of additions. Presumably we will be mostly healthy and won't require a David Price type. We have the pieces to get a platoon outfielder and a reliever (or whatever) without changing our future outlook.

    I think it's quite clear that Atkins and Shapiro intend to stick it out with the Donaldson/Tulo/Martin core, while supplementing it on the fly with guys like Alford, Greene, Tellez, SRF, etc. and I'm fine with that. I've always thought that prospects developed better on a veteran team that wins, much like the Cardinals.
    Agree 100%.

    Every good team has a mixture of veterans and youngsters. We've already got key young players like Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna, Biagini, and Travis and Pillar in their mid 20's. Lots of prospects who are anticipated to be ready in the next 2 years, plus whatever we bring in at the deadline and in the offseason.

  2. #258
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,985
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 502 Times in 338 Posts
    People worry at the average age being the highest in the majors, but if Bautista (37) and Grilli (40) are replaced next season with say Alford (22) and Greene (22), that alone would bring down the average age of the 25 man by 1.3 years putting us right in the middle of the pack.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

    Angrioter (05-15-2017)

  4. #259
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18,833
    Thanks
    3,371
    Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,813 Posts
    If anyone was wondering, Smoak's laser beam homerun had an exit velocity of 114 mph. 27th hardest hit homer this season.

    Fun fact: this Jose Bautista homer the other night against Danny Salazar is the 5th hardest homerun by exit velocity, at 117.6 mph.
    Last edited by Orgfiller; 05-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

    o2cui2i (05-15-2017),Spanky99 (05-15-2017),TholesWeirdEye (05-15-2017)

  6. #260
    All Star THANOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bowmanville, ON
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    3,675
    Thanked 515 Times in 383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I would normally agree with that sentiment, but not with this current version of the Blue Jays.

    The rebuild is already happening down as the minor leagues, as we most definitely have a top 10 farm system with a number of impact prospects on the horizon. There is no impetus to get desperate with key pieces like Estrada and Donaldson. With Estrada specifically, taking our chances at re-signing him with a pick as a consolation prize is still a good result for us.

    In the event that we contend, this is essentially the same team as last year that will require the same sort of additions. Presumably we will be mostly healthy and won't require a David Price type. We have the pieces to get a platoon outfielder and a reliever (or whatever) without changing our future outlook.

    I think it's quite clear that Atkins and Shapiro intend to stick it out with the Donaldson/Tulo/Martin core, while supplementing it on the fly with guys like Alford, Greene, Tellez, SRF, etc. and I'm fine with that. I've always thought that prospects developed better on a veteran team that wins, much like the Cardinals.
    That's a very good point, that few acknowledge or realize. Guys like Tellez and Alford learning under JD and Tulo is a great competitive advantage.

  7. #261
    DONOR - Moderator o2cui2i's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    here reading your posts
    Posts
    15,011
    Thanks
    3,399
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I would normally agree with that sentiment, but not with this current version of the Blue Jays.

    The rebuild is already happening down as the minor leagues, as we most definitely have a top 10 farm system with a number of impact prospects on the horizon. There is no impetus to get desperate with key pieces like Estrada and Donaldson. With Estrada specifically, taking our chances at re-signing him with a pick as a consolation prize is still a good result for us.

    In the event that we contend, this is essentially the same team as last year that will require the same sort of additions. Presumably we will be mostly healthy and won't require a David Price type. We have the pieces to get a platoon outfielder and a reliever (or whatever) without changing our future outlook.

    I think it's quite clear that Atkins and Shapiro intend to stick it out with the Donaldson/Tulo/Martin core, while supplementing it on the fly with guys like Alford, Greene, Tellez, SRF, etc. and I'm fine with that. I've always thought that prospects developed better on a veteran team that wins, much like the Cardinals.
    Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    That's a very good point, that few acknowledge or realize. Guys like Tellez and Alford learning under JD and Tulo is a great competitive advantage.
    This works as long as the team gets them up playing games with the major league team while the stars are still on the team. If the jays are out of it in july I hope the team lets some of the scrubs go and brings up young guys for exactly this reason

  8. #262
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    1,985
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 502 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    This works as long as the team gets them up playing games with the major league team while the stars are still on the team. If the jays are out of it in july I hope the team lets some of the scrubs go and brings up young guys for exactly this reason
    Ironically not being in contention for the playoffs for this year would help us in the short term because as well as September call ups we wouldn't be tempted to hold onto expiring contracts like Estrada.

  9. #263
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,559
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 982 Times in 653 Posts
    Don't need a complete tear down in baseball. If the Jays can keep being competitive while the farm system has time to catch up, then that's probably the best alternative.

    The issues with this team are still issues though.

  10. #264
    Big Leaguer Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    People worry at the average age being the highest in the majors, but if Bautista (37) and Grilli (40) are replaced next season with say Alford (22) and Greene (22), that alone would bring down the average age of the 25 man by 1.3 years putting us right in the middle of the pack.
    Keep in mind the rest of the guys would be a year older. So the real impact is 0.3 assuming no other roster moves. Every other team ages by one year, but then they will also recycle their Bautistas and Grillis.

  11. #265
    All Star TwistedLogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,086
    Thanks
    1,184
    Thanked 3,316 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    If anyone was wondering, Smoak's laser beam homerun had an exit velocity of 114 mph. 27th hardest hit homer this season, if anyone was wondering.

    Fun fact: this Jose Bautista homer the other night against Danny Salazar is the 5th hardest homerun by exit velocity, at 117.6 mph.
    Smoak's homer also had the lowest launch angle in the MLB this year at 15.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwistedLogic For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-15-2017),Orgfiller (05-15-2017),Spanky99 (05-15-2017)

  13. #266
    Hall of Famer Orgfiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18,833
    Thanks
    3,371
    Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    Smoak's homer also had the lowest launch angle in the MLB this year at 15.
    Ah yes, I should have pointed that out as well. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •