• STL
    PIT
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: GDT 4/4 Seattle Mariners @ Toronto Blue Jays

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I would normally agree with that sentiment, but not with this current version of the Blue Jays.

The rebuild is already happening down as the minor leagues, as we most definitely have a top 10 farm system with a number of impact prospects on the horizon. There is no impetus to get desperate with key pieces like Estrada and Donaldson. With Estrada specifically, taking our chances at re-signing him with a pick as a consolation prize is still a good result for us.

In the event that we contend, this is essentially the same team as last year that will require the same sort of additions. Presumably we will be mostly healthy and won't require a David Price type. We have the pieces to get a platoon outfielder and a reliever (or whatever) without changing our future outlook.

I think it's quite clear that Atkins and Shapiro intend to stick it out with the Donaldson/Tulo/Martin core, while supplementing it on the fly with guys like Alford, Greene, Tellez, SRF, etc. and I'm fine with that. I've always thought that prospects developed better on a veteran team that wins, much like the Cardinals.
    Agree 100%.

Every good team has a mixture of veterans and youngsters. We've already got key young players like Stroman, Sanchez, Osuna, Biagini, and Travis and Pillar in their mid 20's. Lots of prospects who are anticipated to be ready in the next 2 years, plus whatever we bring in at the deadline and in the offseason.

Thanks
    People worry at the average age being the highest in the majors, but if Bautista (37) and Grilli (40) are replaced next season with say Alford (22) and Greene (22), that alone would bring down the average age of the 25 man by 1.3 years putting us right in the middle of the pack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Angrioter (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,649 Posts
    If anyone was wondering, Smoak's laser beam homerun had an exit velocity of 114 mph. 27th hardest hit homer this season.

Fun fact: this Jose Bautista homer the other night against Danny Salazar is the 5th hardest homerun by exit velocity, at 117.6 mph.
    Last edited by Orgfiller; 05-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

o2cui2i (05-15-2017),Spanky99 (05-15-2017),TholesWeirdEye (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    I would normally agree with that sentiment, but not with this current version of the Blue Jays.

The rebuild is already happening down as the minor leagues, as we most definitely have a top 10 farm system with a number of impact prospects on the horizon. There is no impetus to get desperate with key pieces like Estrada and Donaldson. With Estrada specifically, taking our chances at re-signing him with a pick as a consolation prize is still a good result for us.

In the event that we contend, this is essentially the same team as last year that will require the same sort of additions. Presumably we will be mostly healthy and won't require a David Price type. We have the pieces to get a platoon outfielder and a reliever (or whatever) without changing our future outlook.

I think it's quite clear that Atkins and Shapiro intend to stick it out with the Donaldson/Tulo/Martin core, while supplementing it on the fly with guys like Alford, Greene, Tellez, SRF, etc. and I'm fine with that. I've always thought that prospects developed better on a veteran team that wins, much like the Cardinals.
    That's a very good point, that few acknowledge or realize. Guys like Tellez and Alford learning under JD and Tulo is a great competitive advantage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,720 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THANOS View Post
    That's a very good point, that few acknowledge or realize. Guys like Tellez and Alford learning under JD and Tulo is a great competitive advantage.
    This works as long as the team gets them up playing games with the major league team while the stars are still on the team. If the jays are out of it in july I hope the team lets some of the scrubs go and brings up young guys for exactly this reason

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by o2cui2i View Post
    This works as long as the team gets them up playing games with the major league team while the stars are still on the team. If the jays are out of it in july I hope the team lets some of the scrubs go and brings up young guys for exactly this reason
    Ironically not being in contention for the playoffs for this year would help us in the short term because as well as September call ups we wouldn't be tempted to hold onto expiring contracts like Estrada.

All Star
    Thanks
    Don't need a complete tear down in baseball. If the Jays can keep being competitive while the farm system has time to catch up, then that's probably the best alternative.

The issues with this team are still issues though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    People worry at the average age being the highest in the majors, but if Bautista (37) and Grilli (40) are replaced next season with say Alford (22) and Greene (22), that alone would bring down the average age of the 25 man by 1.3 years putting us right in the middle of the pack.
    Keep in mind the rest of the guys would be a year older. So the real impact is 0.3 assuming no other roster moves. Every other team ages by one year, but then they will also recycle their Bautistas and Grillis.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    If anyone was wondering, Smoak's laser beam homerun had an exit velocity of 114 mph. 27th hardest hit homer this season, if anyone was wondering.

Fun fact: this Jose Bautista homer the other night against Danny Salazar is the 5th hardest homerun by exit velocity, at 117.6 mph.
    Smoak's homer also had the lowest launch angle in the MLB this year at 15.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwistedLogic For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-15-2017),Orgfiller (05-15-2017),Spanky99 (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    Smoak's homer also had the lowest launch angle in the MLB this year at 15.
    Ah yes, I should have pointed that out as well. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez