10:10 PM ET
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: GDT: Braves @ Jays Game 2 of 2 4:07 EST

Thanks
    Thanked 7,237 Times in 5,550 Posts
    K-Rod seems finished.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    1 good thing about this game...I was able to skip the 9th inning and walk 6 miles!
    This is weird - the innings and the distance. I skipped the first 6 innings to get in a 9.9 mile walk (if I don't do it early I lose incentive later) thinking I could always look at "Jays in 30". After seeing the bunt call and the loss, there was no incentive to see the show.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IBTrini For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubmvp View Post
    Skimmed the last few pages to make sure everyone here hated that bunt call. Was not disappointed. I should have checked it out during the game since some people around me thought it was the right call and I was kind of dying.
    Did the same here as well - was curious to see what the general consensus was on that call.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 821 Posts
    I'm not going to read the shit show about the bunt - but god knows if he hits into a double play there, there's as many people upset that they didn't bunt. Being a manager sucks (except the money part)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I'm not going to read the shit show about the bunt - but god knows if he hits into a double play there, there's as many people upset that they didn't bunt. Being a manager sucks (except the money part)
    Probably on this board there wouldn't be that many complaining about a GIDP in that situation. I found it ironic that after Travis struck out, the next batter hit into a different kind of DP with the runner being doubled off on the line out. Anyway, it was a pretty painful couple games to watch the last two days.

Also, I wonder if the decision to bunt in these type of situations is Gibbons only or with input from the management and analytics people.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IBTrini View Post
    This is weird - the innings and the distance. I skipped the first 6 innings to get in a 9.9 mile walk (if I don't do it early I lose incentive later) thinking I could always look at "Jays in 30". After seeing the bunt call and the loss, there was no incentive to see the show.
    It took me about 2 1/2 hours. Longest I have walked that I can remember. Left when the 9th inning started got back around 9:30.
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wk680 View Post

Also, I wonder if the decision to bunt in these type of situations is Gibbons only or with input from the management and analytics people.
    I can almost guarantee you that no analytics person is suggesting a gameplan that revolves around a superior hitter giving up an out (bad) so that career scrubs like Goins and Barney can hopefully cash runners in.

Thanks
    That's similar to my time (2:35) and also my longest - usually do 11k 4-5 days a week depending on the weather. Also I get to see a lot of interesting people and pickup ideas for landscaping from around the surrounding areas.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IBTrini For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    I can almost guarantee you that no analytics person is suggesting a gameplan that revolves around a superior hitter giving up an out (bad) so that career scrubs like Goins and Barney can hopefully cash runners in.
    Yes but possible that Gibbons is not just making these tactical decisions on his own. It seems to me he used to be all about just letting everyone swing away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    I get the impression that a lot of people take the hard stance that bunting is always a bad idea because STATS. I really hate this notion. There are a pile of variables that come into play (batters matchup v. the pitcher, current hot/cold streaks, # of outs, inning, score, upcoming batters - and their matchup v. the pitcher)....none of which are factored into the stats people base these hard opinions on. To pre-set your game plan around generic stats and to be unwilling to have in game flexibility is incredibly shortsighted.

Travis isn't Barry Bonds. He's a career 107 wRC+ hitter who's been utterly awful at the plate this year (quote the # of doubles he has all you want - he's still been runny dog shit). He's been hitting better lately, but at this point, he isn't a significantly superior hitter to Zeke or Barney. If he actually does his job there, there's a good chance the game gets tied up or that the Jays take the lead.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I get the impression that a lot of people take the hard stance that bunting is always a bad idea because STATS. I really hate this notion. There are a pile of variables that come into play (batters matchup v. the pitcher, current hot/cold streaks, # of outs, inning, score, upcoming batters - and their matchup v. the pitcher)....none of which are factored into the stats people base these hard opinions on. To pre-set your game plan around generic stats and to be unwilling to have in game flexibility is incredibly shortsighted.

Travis isn't Barry Bonds. He's a career 107 wRC+ hitter who's been utterly awful at the plate this year (quote the # of doubles he has all you want - he's still been runny dog shit). He's been hitting better lately, but at this point, he isn't a significantly superior hitter to Zeke or Barney. If he actually does his job there, there's a good chance the game gets tied up or that the Jays take the lead.
    In my view, the bunt call was iffy, not because of who was up but because of who was to follow (Barney and Carrera). But that being said, Travis's inability to put the bunt down was bush league stuff. Strike two was a fastball down the middle, and he couldn't even put the bat on it? Not good enough. It's on Travis, not Gibbons (and believe me, I have no trouble criticizing Gibbons at any time).