Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: Toronto Blue Jays @ Atlanta Braves

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
    He did? I'm not lip reader, but it looked like he just said "fuck you" to me. Same number of syllables.
    I saw f*ggot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    I saw f*ggot.
    I can't deny that he very well could've said that. I really can't tell.

That said, I'd think if Pillar did yell out the slur, the ump was right there and would've tossed him immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I had no idea that Pillar threw out a homophobic slur at Motte. We'll see if Shapiro manages to handle this better than AA did with Escobar. Lets see if the fans are consistent when it's a player who's playing well. I heard he apologized to Motte for immaturity but he better do more than that. On international day against homophobia too.
    Writing shit on your face is a whole lot more egregious and stupid than saying shit. Besides, Donaldson's "homophobic slur" became a top board meme. Although his may be a bit different because it assumes he is in on the homosexual action.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
    I can't deny that he very well could've said that. I really can't tell.

That said, I'd think if Pillar did yell out the slur, the ump was right there and would've tossed him immediately.
    Don't worry guys, I saw Motte yell "kike" right before that so Pillar was just getting even.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-18-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    I had no idea that Pillar threw out a homophobic slur at Motte. We'll see if Shapiro manages to handle this better than AA did with Escobar. Lets see if the fans are consistent when it's a player who's playing well. I heard he apologized to Motte for immaturity but he better do more than that. On international day against homophobia too.
    I'm going to be super politically incorrect here, but I honestly don't even care. Its just a word. Insensitive? Yes, but unfortunately the English language has evolved to use those slurs as basic insults that really don't have anything to do with the actual meaning of the word. I see people on Twitter saying that this is the same thing as calling someone the N-word which isn't true at all. The N-word has one lone meaning: a racial insult to a black person. You're not going to insult an Asian person by calling them the N-word. The difference here is that the homophobic slur has transcended past its actual meaning to simply become a general insult, no different from the word b*tch for example. Do you think that Pillar was literally implying that Motte was a homosexual? Of course not, it was just an insult. Is it offensive to a legitimately gay person? Absolutely, but people do offensive things all the time. Using the word 'gay' as a synonym to mean 'stupid' is pretty much the same thing. Again, unfortunate that the language morphed this way, but that doesn't mean that someone who says "wow thats gay" is making some sort of deep-seeded homophobic statement.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (05-18-2017),Spanky99 (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,959 Times in 6,111 Posts
    I knew he said it, this will be interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,997 Times in 3,405 Posts
    I won't go too much into it but it's way more than just a word. And I will warn everyone right now not to use the word. Sports and homophobic slurs go hand in hand. The online data alone www.nohomophobes.com shows that the words go up by 100's of times during big sporting events (especially during NFL games) and way higher in Canada during hockey games (I don't have data from this but got that directly from You can Play. MLB players have sensitivity training as a mandatory part of their game. They know it's wrong.

For the record I don't think Kevin Pillar is homophobic, he used a homophobic slur. I used to use that word all the time. I can tell you that I haven't in three years. I understand Pillar's point of view...but you are in the spotlight, you have to use these slip ups as a way to turn a positive. Maybe he is a homophobe...he still has to do the right thing here or have a negative impact on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    I won't go too much into it but it's way more than just a slur. And I will warn everyone right now not to use the word. Sports and homophobic slurs go hand in hand. The online data alone www.nohomophobes.com shows that the words go up by 100's of times during big sporting events (especially during NFL games) and way higher in Canada during hockey games (I don't have data from this but got that directly from You can Play. MLB players have sensitivity training as a mandatory part of their game. They know it's wrong.

For the record I don't think Kevin Pillar is homophobic, he used a homophobic slur. I used to use that word all the time. I can tell you that I haven't in three years. I understand Pillar's point of view...but you are in the spotlight, you have to use these slip ups as a way to turn a positive. Maybe he is a homophobe...he still has to do the right thing here or have a negative impact on him.
    Its not just a sports thing, its a general male bravado thing that pops up in intense competition or altercation. The exact same thing happens in video gaming; especially in competitive gaming wherein those slurs as well as the word "rape" were running naturally rampant for a long time. Again, very few if any of these people are actually being "homophobic". Like I said, it sucks that language has evolved that way, but boo-hoo. You can't force a word out of the vocabulary that has simply become an INSULT. It might happen gradually on its own, but until then you have to take a deep breath and theorize what is actually being implied.

Thanks
    Its not just a sports thing, its a general male bravado thing that pops up in intense competition or altercation. The exact same thing happens in video gaming; especially in competitive gaming wherein those slurs as well as the word "rape" were running naturally rampant for a long time. Again, very few if any of these people are actually being "homophobic". Like I said, it sucks that language has evolved that way, but boo-hoo. You can't force a word out of the vocabulary that has simply become an INSULT. It might happen gradually on its own, but until then you have to take a deep breath and theorize what is actually being implied.
    And if Motte is gay?

I don't agree that language can't change, as I changed. 'm not offended by anything personally, I actually had a person tell me that they anally raped my mother (ball hockey) and I laughed hysterically at it (then he punched me). I can and will do my best to watch my language and I will point out when I think someone is doing something wrong. If they don't listen, oh well. Maybe someday someone will give a shit when I say something.

Regardless of what I think, you think or anyone else. Kevin Pillar the baseball player is a business man, he has hurt his business (and the team he plays for in some way). He has to react as the twitter universe is already out for blood. I am always interested how these things get handled. Those that handle it correctly don't hurt themselves really.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

KingKat (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,293 Posts
    Attitude at an autograph signing lol. Awe somebody didn't get his selfie.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,276 Times in 6,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Attitude at an autograph signing lol. Awe somebody didn't get his selfie.
    Will has an agenda out for Pillar after he disrespected him or someone at an autograph signing.

As for my thoughts on this situation I think Pillar will be suspended 1-2 games and have to do work with YouCanPlay (or a similar organization). Very stupid thing to say especially in 2017, as now the twitter cannons have been fired.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    And if Motte is gay?
    If he is gay then I'm sure a more sincere apology is in order and you go on from there. Again, if a gay person wants to be legitimately offended, then that is their right. The point is that you have to draw the line somewhere and realize that you should hopefully be able to recognize the context of the situation and gauge your reaction from that. Where do you draw the line? If we both go to the next Jays game and I've got seats behind home plate and you're sitting in the 500 level and I say "heh nice poverty seats Hurl" as a stupid joke, am I now being insensitive and trivializing poverty if you perhaps know someone who is actually living in poverty? How about if two women get into an argument and one calls the other a wh*re (which like the f-word is a pretty standard insult in that circle), is that not offensive towards women who are in fact sex workers and perhaps are forced into that life as a means of survival? In a perfect world humans would never even get into altercations, alas the reality is that there is a certain underlying barbaric side to everyone, and in heat-of-the-moment situations some not so nice things are going to happen. My opinion is that people generally underestimate the fact that humans are biologically mean, judgmental, and capable of horrible things. Therefore you really need to think about what is actually worth getting mad over; because something like this is literally first world problems. The whole idea of trying to police language is becoming absurd.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

Effit (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Will has an agenda out for Pillar after he disrespected him or someone at an autograph signing.

As for my thoughts on this situation I think Pillar will be suspended 1-2 games and have to do work with YouCanPlay (or a similar organization). Very stupid thing to say especially in 2017, as now the twitter cannons have been fired.
    Incredibly dumb thing to do. I dont think Pillar is homophobic. It was just a heat of the moment slur after the quick-pitch but you need to be careful when cameras are everywhere.
    This will put a dent in his reputation and looks bad on the organization.
    Then you have Jose bat flip a meaningless homerun in a game were you pretty much got blown out, fractured Freddie Freemans wrist after hitting 7 Braves players in the series. The Braves will rightfully be out for revenge tomorrow. Jose is gonna get one or maybe Stroman as he will probably come out chirping.
    The Jays are about to get swept by the team that was below us in the standings, giving up 27 runs in 3 games and watching Carrera make a mess of everything.
    I thought this team had turned the corner....

Thanks
    If he is gay then I'm sure a more sincere apology is in order and you go on from there. Again, if a gay person wants to be legitimately offended, then that is their right. The point is that you have to draw the line somewhere and realize that you should hopefully be able to recognize the context of the situation and gauge your reaction from that. Where do you draw the line? If we both go to the next Jays game and I've got seats behind home plate and you're sitting in the 500 level and I say "heh nice poverty seats Hurl" as a stupid joke, am I now being insensitive and trivializing poverty if you perhaps know someone who is actually living in poverty? How about if two women get into an argument and one calls the other a wh*re (which like the f-word is a pretty standard insult in that circle), is that not offensive towards women who are in fact sex workers and perhaps are forced into that life as a means of survival? In a perfect world humans would never even get into altercations, alas the reality is that there is a certain underlying barbaric side to everyone, and in heat-of-the-moment situations some not so nice things are going to happen. My opinion is that people generally underestimate the fact that humans are biologically mean, judgmental, and capable of horrible things. Therefore you really need to think about what is actually worth getting mad over; because something like this is literally first world problems. The whole idea of trying to police language is becoming absurd.
    I understand where you are coming from but in this day and age you cant get caught saying stuff like this when you are on TV, social media etc and you are paid and represented by a large organization.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,561 Posts
    And if Motte is gay?
    Then I feel bad for his wife.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedLogic For This Useful Post:

Terminator (05-18-2017)