NYM
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: Toronto Blue Jays @ Atlanta Braves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    This is literally the first time I've ever heard someone claim that 'snowflake' is a reference to the Holocaust LOL.

The use of that term in today's world is pretty straightforward. Every snowflake in nature is unique to itself. Thus, this is a reference to the growing society of entitled individuals who believe that they are so special that one must essentially engage in a contract of predetermined stipulations with regards to what is acceptable before actually engaging this precious and delicate individual. That means: terminology used, what you actually refer to them as ("DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER??"), what political opinions you are allowed to voice before you are deemed to be "assaulting their well being", etc, etc, etc. You see, this is used as an insult because no one is special enough to deserve that level of coddling, hence "snowflake behaviour".

Sorry man, but this isn't some super super-secret underground reference to the Holocaust or Nazism.
    To be honest - I've seen people calling others snowflake and I wasn't exactly sure what it was in reference to (although I assumed it's what you said above). When I saw Terminator use it, I thought I'd double check before referencing it. I was as surprised as you seem to be when I saw that "old meaning" of it on urban dictionary (referenced multiple times). http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Snowflake

Perhaps this is a good example and reminder of how the meaning of some words and terms do change with time. As someone else mentioned, for some, terms like gay, fag, retard, whore, etc. have and will continue to change with time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    It is fascinating. But in general it's groups of people that have traditionally faced prejudice (in North America at least). There are some exceptions which are still somewhat acceptable (someone mentioned "whore").

I don't like the word that Pillar said at all, I don't even like the number of times it's been said here, even in quoting him. It's not an anger, it just doesn't sit well with me. When I go on my rants part of it is to spark conversation, part of it that I think from someone who wants to be on the organizing side of sport. I don't think suspensions really work. I prefer education, awareness, training and community work. I think the Jays will go the same route.

I don't like the word either, nor do I use it anymore. Just like the term retard or retarded (yet that word is free to be thrown around here, not sure why).

I also work in sports, and we make sure that all of our guys know that:
    a) it is not acceptable to use that word anymore
    b) if they do there are repercussions

The worst part of all of this, is the snowflake (yup) outrage on Twitter. It's painfully obvious Pillar wasn't implying that Motte is gay and that he thinks less of him because of it. It's a heat of the moment insult that is thrown around far too casually among men (not sports specific, either). I agree with you, that education and awareness are far better than fines or suspensions.

Does Pillar need to be held accountable for his actions? You bet.

Does he need to be crucified as some homophobic gay-hater by a bunch of SJW's on Twitter who need safe spaces at their universities to protect them? Not a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

BTS (05-18-2017),Effit (05-18-2017),Gen.Disarray (05-18-2017),glory (05-18-2017),jays4life19 (05-18-2017),Spanky99 (05-18-2017),TheHurl (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,207 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 11,816 Times in 7,051 Posts
    Do teams have someone in-house who writes these, or do they contract a PR company when the odd disaster strikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Do teams have someone in-house who writes these, or do they contract a PR company when the odd disaster strikes?
    This LOL.

The fact that they actually have to do shit like this is pathetic, which is why I always loved Randy Moss. "Straight cash homie".

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    In today's cultural climate, I fully expect Pillar to get a multi-game suspension for using that word when it should just be a fine.

The language police are already out in full force:

Adam Jones getting racism thrown at his face by fans in Boston is upsetting.

Pillar using a word he should not have used in a context unrelated to what it really means (to most people) is pretty meaningless. In the case of Jones, the taunts were clearly directed at his race. Unless Pillar knows something about Motte that we don't, that's not the same here. He used the wrong word, he should not have used it, and now let's move on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (05-19-2017),Effit (05-18-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Here's how I imagine the Pillar/Motte apology went:

KP: "Jason, I'm really sorry that I called you a f*ggot and hope that I didn't offend you or any of your loved ones."
    JM: "Bruh, could you be any more of a f*ggot right now?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,207 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 11,816 Times in 7,051 Posts
    So that takes care of the team and player apologizes. I guess all that's left is the suspension and burning at the stake and we can all move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Effit (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,081 Times in 5,931 Posts
    L54 hit the nail on the head.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Pillar would have been better off if he rushed Motte and hit him with his bat.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Effit (05-18-2017),glory (05-18-2017),metafour (05-18-2017)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,762 Times in 2,541 Posts
    Jays being villified on sports talk radio

Freeman hurt

Bautista bat flips

Pillar yelling at Motte

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I wonder this too. Does Gibby call down to KP's hotel room and say "Kev, Andrea from HR is here. Wanna go down to the lobby and hash out your apology with her?"

Also, I'm sick of seeing apologies written on the Notes section of your iPhone, screeenshotted, uploaded to Twitter and done. That's not an apology. Be a man and say it in person. You don't have to take questions after, but I'm not a fan of hiding behind your phone.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

BTS (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Pillar would have been better off if he rushed Motte and hit him with his bat.
    lol.. sad but true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    I wonder this too. Does Gibby call down to KP's hotel room and say "Kev, Andrea from HR is here. Wanna go down to the lobby and hash out your apology with her?"

Also, I'm sick of seeing apologies written on the Notes section of your iPhone, screeenshotted, uploaded to Twitter and done. That's not an apology. Be a man and say it in person. You don't have to take questions after, but I'm not a fan of hiding behind your phone.
    I sure am, to hide the lack of sincerity. One day I would love to see an apology like this for real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUKRoJQamHk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,361 Times in 4,002 Posts
    That's a pretty nice, sincere, and contrite apology. Nothing left to do now but take the suspension and move on. Maybe make him march in the Pride parade.