Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jays suspend Pillar for 2 games

Thanks
    Thanked 5,191 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    So your payback was to prove my point.

You know I like you Hurl, but your uppity stance on uncomfortable words is so obnoxious.

First John & King now You and Terminator? I can't handle these avatar copycats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,741 Times in 5,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Governator View Post
    Right-click on one of their avatars and ad-block it, no more confusion.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,782 Times in 3,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    So your payback was to prove my point.

You know I like you Hurl, but your uppity stance on uncomfortable words is so obnoxious.
    I'd prefer to educate but no one listens to me anymore (see the Alford thread). So I'll go with obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Sorry late to the debate here.
    I'm trying to understand society, Pillar was suspended for calling another player a "faggot" (sorry if using the word is inappropriate).
    If the player was not hetrosexual and Pillar called him a homosexual, gay, transgender or whatever other terms is used now, he wouldn't be suspended
    since those terms are used everyday by the mainstream media???

As a 62 yr old guy who's a life long lesbian I need to know!
    Last edited by Virgil_Hiltz; 05-19-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil_Hiltz View Post
    Sorry late to the debate here.
    I'm trying to understand society, Pillar was suspended for calling another player a "faggot" (sorry if using the word in inappropriate).
    If the players was not hetrosexual and Pillar called him a homosexual, gay, transgender or whatever other terms is used now, he wouldn't be suspended
    since those terms are used everyday by the mainstream media???

As a 62 yr old guy who's a life long lesbian I need to know!
    lol... as for the former, it'd be much worse as he'd be literally using hate speech, it's a no win situation, unless he called him an asshole or something else. I guess, it's kind of stupid, to be honest. Soft shit, he didn't mean it.

Thanks
    Fox News, that right wing sewer, today fired someone for saying something inappropriate to a person of colour. SJW rejoice!

ps. this, and the Pillar thing, are just business decisions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Fox News, that right wing sewer, today fired someone for saying something inappropriate to a person of colour. SJW rejoice!

ps. this, and the Pillar thing, are just business decisions.
    Politics on the other forum, meathead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Politics on the other forum, meathead.
    It relates to Pillar and the whole free speech thing, shithead.

Thanks
    It relates to Pillar and the whole free speech thing, shithead.
    Mmmkay...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,191 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The Governator is a man's man.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Governator For This Useful Post:

o2cui2i (05-22-2017),Spanky99 (05-19-2017),TwistedLogic (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    lulz

Thanks
    Thanked 7,760 Times in 4,837 Posts
    It was dick_pole too but he pussed out like a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    I think we all know it's the latter. The Mariners have been a disgustingly bad offensive for a decade now and nothing has changed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Dick_Pole (05-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Ok.. You know as well as everybody else that he used that word in the heat of a frustrating angry moment. Is that a valid excuse? No it's not an excuse but he didn't mean it for in sense of what the word actually means. He used it in the same context as words like "asshole", "shithead". If he called him a "motherfucker" instead would that express offense to all the mothers in the world? If Motte is an out of the closet homosexual, then it would be different. Society is slowly changing for the better where people are starting to use these types of slurs less and less, but it takes time. Pillar grew up in a society where that word was used in general terms. I'm pretty certain he would never use that term against someone who he knows is openly gay. I don't know Pillar personally, but from what i've seen and heard while he's been here and from the media, he sounds like a decent respectful person. He's nowhere near douchbag levels, like Escobar. If what he said was said in a non impulsive situation, then that would also be different.

To actually be serious about trading one of our best players who is having a career year because of this is fucking mind boggling. Also calling him a cancer in the clubhouse, like any of us would know? This is beyond frustrating.
    Oh damn. I'm spewing the same shit as Gruber in another thread. This isn't good....although he's right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    I don't know about that. Pillar is a few years older than I am and words like "faggot" or "retard" were extremely common growing up. They were used in casual language like how someone today might call someone else a dick in a harmless or non-malicious manner.

I've been watching old seasons of Big Brother and even in Season 7 episodes (aired in 2006), "retard" makes the cut all the time. You'd never see a word like that make it to screen today.
    I find it ironic that retard has fallen into this completely unacceptable word to us... it's an incredibly accurate and precise way to describe mentally challenged or slow individuals (based on its definition). Same goes for the word midget.

Are we one day going to wake up and decide the term "blind" is derogatory? Are we soon not going to be to refer to someone as bald?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I find it ironic that retard has fallen into this completely unacceptable word to us... it's an incredibly accurate and precise way to describe mentally challenged or slow individuals (based on its definition). Same goes for the word midget.

Are we one day going to wake up and decide the term "blind" is derogatory? Are we soon not going to be to refer to someone as bald?
    Issue with retard is it has been used to describe anyone that has mental challenges. Problem is, there is a very wide range of mental issues, and there are many people smarter than you and I that in years past would be called a retard. We have words now that more accurately describe the mental issue, including those that have no impact on mental capacity.

The phrase 'deaf and dumb' has been around for centuries and persists in framing perceptions of deaf people - i see it from time to time, although less and less over my 50 years. I assure you I am not dumb, despite what some of my posts on here might lead you to think. I only mention this because the connotations to certain words persist. Words with derogatory connotations (faggot) will never be acceptable in workplaces (including the MLB diamond).

I've never heard of midget being a 'problem' word.
    Last edited by Jimcanuck; 05-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    Issue with retard is it has been used to describe anyone that has mental challenges. Problem is, there is a very wide range of mental issues, and there are many people smarter than you and I that in years past would be called a retard. We have words now that more accurately describe the mental issue, including those that have no impact on mental capacity.

The phrase 'deaf and dumb' has been around for centuries and persists in framing perceptions of deaf people - i see it from time to time, although less and less over my 50 years. I assure you I am not dumb, despite what some of my posts on here might lead you to think.

I've never heard of midget being a 'problem' word.
    I suspect most people in here have incorrectly referred to someone as blind before (hey umpy...youre blind). People misuse words all the time. There's obviously and rightfully more sensitivity with handicapped people...but the concept is still interesting. Midget may be one people would be more openly willing to discuss. I understood it's no longer acceptable to use. It may not be on the faggot/suspension level when we look at the imaginary and incredibly arbitrary derogatory term chart....but it's on there