• TB
    BAL
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • MIA
    CHC
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • CLE
    MIN
    Preview
    1:10 PM ET
  • WSH
    CIN
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • BOS
    LAA
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • ATL
    MIL
    Preview
    1:35 PM ET
  • NYY
    TEX
    Preview
    2:05 PM ET
  • CWS
    OAK
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • KC
    TOR
    Preview
    2:15 PM ET
  • SF
    NYM
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • LAD
    COL
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • SEA
    HOU
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • ARI
    PHI
    Preview
    4:10 PM ET
  • SD
    DET
    Preview
    4:40 PM ET
  • STL
    PIT
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 64 of 116

Thread: Blue Jays prioritize diversity after scandal-Promote Anthony Alford to join Smith Jr.

  1. #49
    Big Leaguer Maahfaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    2,827
    Thanks
    1,456
    Thanked 579 Times in 416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I think Grant is right. They had to add him to the 40 to protect him from the rule 5.

    On 40 + not on 25 + at least 20 days in minors = option year used.
    I did not know this, interesting. Does this apply to subsequent seasons? Or is it just for the first year he is added to the 40 man roster?
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  2. #50
    Blue Chip Prospect CHRIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 481 Times in 273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    See completely different front offices.
    Yeah, I get that. I'm hopeful for Alford to get consistent ABs, as in the past it's been quite frustrating.

  3. #51
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,140
    Thanks
    2,024
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,209 Posts
    This is exciting. When was the last time we got to see a legit prospect called up midseason?

  4. #52
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    In Shambles
    Posts
    14,122
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,762 Times in 1,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I'm hopeful for Alford to get consistent ABs, as in the past it's been quite frustrating.
    Calling up a top prospect from Double-A to play him sparingly would be cringy.

  5. #53
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,537
    Thanks
    1,147
    Thanked 8,318 Times in 4,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    I did not know this, interesting. Does this apply to subsequent seasons? Or is it just for the first year he is added to the 40 man roster?
    Any year a guy is on the 40 man roster but not on the 25 man roster for 20 days, he is considered to be on optional assignment and burns an option year

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-20-2017),Maahfaace (05-19-2017)

  7. #54
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,058
    Thanks
    5,736
    Thanked 10,081 Times in 5,931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    I assume since they made the decision to promote him that they made the commitment to play him everyday. Calling him up for a couple of days would be incredibly stupid. I hope our front office isn't that dumb.
    How is this stupid? Alford is the last capable CF on the 40 man roster, and they need a fill in. Despite what has been written in this thread, calling him up for a few days (even if he doesn't get much playing time) is not going to stunt his development.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-20-2017),Spanky99 (05-19-2017)

  9. #55
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    34,646
    Thanks
    37,295
    Thanked 7,196 Times in 5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I think Grant is right. They had to add him to the 40 to protect him from the rule 5.

    On 40 + not on 25 + at least 20 days in minors = option year used.
    I see, I vaguely remember this rule, I thought that didn't come into play until next season, roster-resource has me fooled as It has both Smith Jr and Alford with 3 options left.

  10. #56
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    34,646
    Thanks
    37,295
    Thanked 7,196 Times in 5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    How is this stupid? Alford is the last capable CF on the 40 man roster, and they need a fill in. Despite what has been written in this thread, calling him up for a few days (even if he doesn't get much playing time) is not going to stunt his development.
    Jonn's dumn.

  11. #57
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,537
    Thanks
    1,147
    Thanked 8,318 Times in 4,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I see, I vaguely remember this rule, I thought that didn't come into play until next season, roster-resource has me fooled as It has both Smith Jr and Alford with 3 options left.
    It's because they do have 3 option years left. This year and two more after!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (05-19-2017)

  13. #58
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    34,646
    Thanks
    37,295
    Thanked 7,196 Times in 5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    It's because they do have 3 option years left. This year and two more after!
    Now that makes sense, so Ramirez has this season plus next year.

  14. #59
    MVP eastcoastjaysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,221
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,136 Posts
    This is very exciting.
    "My name is Munenori Kawasaki, and I am from Japan"

  15. #60
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks
    274
    Thanked 902 Times in 606 Posts
    What are the chances of going with a Pompey-Pillar-Alford outfield in 2018 (assuming Pompey isn't dead)?

    Or will they trade the gay hating bastard and go with Alford in CF?

  16. #61
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    34,646
    Thanks
    37,295
    Thanked 7,196 Times in 5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    What are the chances of going with a Pompey-Pillar-Alford outfield in 2018 (assuming Pompey isn't dead)?

    Or will they trade the gay hating bastard and go with Alford in CF?
    Pompey's playing now, I'm not sure how many games it is before he has to come off the DL, and put back on the 40, it used to be 15 games or days. Also there's talk of Alford making the '18 roster. Smith Jr... has a chance too.

  17. #62
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks
    545
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    lol Pompey
    I'll say it again. Pompey will never play another game for the Toronto blue Jays.

  18. #63
    Prospect JuniorFelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Honestly, this is probably the most exciting prospect to come up for me since, I don't know, Stroman?

    Can't wait to see this guy!

  19. #64
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    34,646
    Thanks
    37,295
    Thanked 7,196 Times in 5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I'll say it again. Pompey will never play another game for the Toronto blue Jays.
    Why?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •