Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 64 of 116

Thread: Blue Jays prioritize diversity after scandal-Promote Anthony Alford to join Smith Jr.

  1. #49
    Big Leaguer Maahfaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    1,565
    Thanked 635 Times in 455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I think Grant is right. They had to add him to the 40 to protect him from the rule 5.

    On 40 + not on 25 + at least 20 days in minors = option year used.
    I did not know this, interesting. Does this apply to subsequent seasons? Or is it just for the first year he is added to the 40 man roster?
    I donít suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

  2. #50
    Blue Chip Prospect CHRIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    275
    Thanked 481 Times in 273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    See completely different front offices.
    Yeah, I get that. I'm hopeful for Alford to get consistent ABs, as in the past it's been quite frustrating.

  3. #51
    All Star Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,667
    Thanks
    2,143
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,310 Posts
    This is exciting. When was the last time we got to see a legit prospect called up midseason?

  4. #52
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Courtice, Ontario
    Posts
    14,472
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I'm hopeful for Alford to get consistent ABs, as in the past it's been quite frustrating.
    Calling up a top prospect from Double-A to play him sparingly would be cringy.

  5. #53
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,001
    Thanks
    1,173
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maahfaace View Post
    I did not know this, interesting. Does this apply to subsequent seasons? Or is it just for the first year he is added to the 40 man roster?
    Any year a guy is on the 40 man roster but not on the 25 man roster for 20 days, he is considered to be on optional assignment and burns an option year

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-20-2017),Maahfaace (05-19-2017)

  7. #54
    Hall of Famer King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,361
    Thanks
    5,759
    Thanked 10,273 Times in 6,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    I assume since they made the decision to promote him that they made the commitment to play him everyday. Calling him up for a couple of days would be incredibly stupid. I hope our front office isn't that dumb.
    How is this stupid? Alford is the last capable CF on the 40 man roster, and they need a fill in. Despite what has been written in this thread, calling him up for a few days (even if he doesn't get much playing time) is not going to stunt his development.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (05-20-2017),Spanky99 (05-19-2017)

  9. #55
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    38,233
    Thanks
    39,861
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 5,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I think Grant is right. They had to add him to the 40 to protect him from the rule 5.

    On 40 + not on 25 + at least 20 days in minors = option year used.
    I see, I vaguely remember this rule, I thought that didn't come into play until next season, roster-resource has me fooled as It has both Smith Jr and Alford with 3 options left.

  10. #56
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    38,233
    Thanks
    39,861
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 5,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    How is this stupid? Alford is the last capable CF on the 40 man roster, and they need a fill in. Despite what has been written in this thread, calling him up for a few days (even if he doesn't get much playing time) is not going to stunt his development.
    Jonn's dumn.

  11. #57
    Hall of Famer NJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,001
    Thanks
    1,173
    Thanked 8,562 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I see, I vaguely remember this rule, I thought that didn't come into play until next season, roster-resource has me fooled as It has both Smith Jr and Alford with 3 options left.
    It's because they do have 3 option years left. This year and two more after!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (05-19-2017)

  13. #58
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    38,233
    Thanks
    39,861
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 5,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    It's because they do have 3 option years left. This year and two more after!
    Now that makes sense, so Ramirez has this season plus next year.

  14. #59
    MVP eastcoastjaysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,227
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,138 Posts
    This is very exciting.
    "My name is Munenori Kawasaki, and I am from Japan"

  15. #60
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,618
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 997 Times in 660 Posts
    What are the chances of going with a Pompey-Pillar-Alford outfield in 2018 (assuming Pompey isn't dead)?

    Or will they trade the gay hating bastard and go with Alford in CF?

  16. #61
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    38,233
    Thanks
    39,861
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 5,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    What are the chances of going with a Pompey-Pillar-Alford outfield in 2018 (assuming Pompey isn't dead)?

    Or will they trade the gay hating bastard and go with Alford in CF?
    Pompey's playing now, I'm not sure how many games it is before he has to come off the DL, and put back on the 40, it used to be 15 games or days. Also there's talk of Alford making the '18 roster. Smith Jr... has a chance too.

  17. #62
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    lol Pompey
    I'll say it again. Pompey will never play another game for the Toronto blue Jays.

  18. #63
    Prospect JuniorFelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Honestly, this is probably the most exciting prospect to come up for me since, I don't know, Stroman?

    Can't wait to see this guy!

  19. #64
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    38,233
    Thanks
    39,861
    Thanked 7,748 Times in 5,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I'll say it again. Pompey will never play another game for the Toronto blue Jays.
    Why?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •