Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch and Learn, Folks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,919 Times in 4,939 Posts

Watch and Learn, Folks.

Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    His new short and quick approach will do wonders. His HR total will be most likely be in the single digits, but his new approach will no doubt increase his numbers everywhere else. He sure looks a lot more comfortable at the plate in the few AB's he's had so far and it appears Jacoby may have found what he needed.

He's hit well at every level of pro ball except at the MLB level. He has a natural born ability in getting the barrel to the ball but big league stuff (especially secondaries) are recognized too late. His new shorter approach will allow him to let the ball travel a bit longer before committing. Just the way he's taking pitches now would indicate he's seeing the ball a lot better.

The talent is there, but his approach needed something to adjust to the superior MLB pitching. He seems like he may have found something, so look for his offensive numbers to be much better.

.285 / .330 / .440
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Yeah I agree - I listened to the game on the radio today and he looked really good and confedent.
    Wasn't Sunday's game on TV fuck nuts?
    Make it 90 wRC+ and you're on.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    That's literally his projected wRC+

WOW YOU MUST LOVE KP
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    - feels the need to make a post in all caps, proclaiming a KP BREAKOUT
    - projects a 110 wRC+ based on the Gruber method (top secret)
    - unwilling to take a bet unless the mark is TWENTY PERCENT worse than his own fucking prediction that he felt the need to make a thread about.
    - no one takes him seriously due to mental challenges, proceeds to take the stupid man's approach of assuming that everyone other than him is dumb.

Gruber, you're a special one, man. Strap on your velcro shoes and make your mark on the world, my friend.
    Nah, wasn't me.

It's just a simple observation based on what from what i saw in Sunday's game, that's it. Yes making predictions without years worth of relevant data is suicide here. I respect the way that most here view the game, but that's just not the way i prefer enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, i love stats, but there is a bigger human element to the game that people just refuse to recognize.
    Probably because it leads to really stupid predictions that are destined to fail. Like, say, Kevin Pillar is going to break out because I saw him in one ST game and he looked good.

You can enjoy the game however you want, but if you share it with everyone you open yourself up to ridicule.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Making predictions on anyone based on 1 game is stupid everywhere, not just here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Gruber, the most likely scenario is Pillar gets worse every year and is a 4th OF by 2019.... he's past his prime
    Because Smoak's only offensive value comes from power, which he would never sacrifice. He's probably just too dumb to make any necessary adjustments anyway. Pillar plays the position and possesses the natural ability to go short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    Gruber continues his excellence as the worst poster on this forum. Another great thread dude.

If you're going to make a thread based on such a controversial opinion/projection/whatever, at least be willing to put your money where your mouth is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    He didn't, and he won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Gruber just makes an easy target because he's a) wrong, b) stubborn and c) very thin skinned. Nothing wrong with expressing some wishful thinking/optimism about Pillar but to a) make bold predictions based on next to nothing and then b) only want to wager on those predictions if they are significantly lowered exposes you to ridicule. Do I like the form that ridicule takes? No, I don't but in spite of that my sympathy for him is quite low. This is a guy who a) has hurled plenty of abuse of his own in the past and b) should operate under no illusions about how his baseless predictions would be received.
    Being short and quick will allow a bit longer to recognize before committing, his OBP will go up. Kevin Pillar is committed in being a top of the order type bat. I believe he has the talent to do it, but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    In roughly 5 years of pro ball he has shown very poor walk rates/discipline to say he is automatically going to find it because he changed is swing is just foolish.
    He's has shown the ability to get on base his whole life until he got to the show. He never made the necessary adjustments to combat the superior pitching, but he's seems committed in doing that now.
    Ryan Goins says hey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    Thats not how this works lol. You either have a good eye/plate vision or you don't. Your OBP doesn't magically increase by shortening your stride.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    So where does Pillar's offensive value come from then? His nonexistent strike zone awareness? Below average power?

His contact ability is only a benefit if he learns strike zone awareness, because watching him make contact on balls 2 feet outside the zone that he has no business swinging at isn't really a plus.
    Says the guy with a platoon player as his avatar. You'll be sucking crow soon enough, like you've always have.
    Nice start Pillar.

That BTS guy must be freaking out.
    Pillar with a nice AB.

Stay quiet and short, let the ball travel and recognize.

Watch and learn folks.
    Watch and learn folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

baubau (06-15-2017),Brownie19 (06-15-2017),BTS (06-15-2017),GD (06-18-2017),jays4life19 (06-15-2017),John_Havok (06-15-2017),LGBJ29 (06-16-2017),Maahfaace (06-15-2017),NJH (06-15-2017),P2F (06-15-2017),Pinkfloid (06-16-2017),Spanky99 (06-16-2017),SweetSmellingChacin (12-07-2017),Terminator (12-06-2017),The Cats Ass (06-16-2017),TheHurl (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,509 Posts
    He's still better than he was the last few years offensively. Walk, Strikeout and power numbers are improved. But he's probably lost the value added on defense.

He probably shouldn't be hitting leadoff though Martin is really the only person who might be a better fit considering whos healthy right now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    He's still better than he was the last few years offensively. Walk, Strikeout and power numbers are improved. But he's probably lost the value added on defense.

He probably shouldn't be hitting leadoff though Martin is really the only person who might be a better fit considering whos healthy right now.
    He's currently performing to projections almost exactly. Aside from the fact that Kevin seems to think he's a lot better than he really is, I certainly have no issues with him being a regular on this team but this is a thread to roast a moron who decided to brag about a dumb prediction he made after less than 2 months into the season.
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,611 Times in 4,799 Posts
    GRUBERrrrr!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 755 Posts

This thread will either be epic or short, maybe both.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,175 Posts
    how long did it take you to come up with this?

Is it really worth it? :/
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Thanks
    "Pillar played for the Bluefield Blue Jays in 2011, and batted .347 over 60 games, winning the Appalachian League batting title and leading the organization in batting average. He holds the team's all-time records for batting average, on-base percentage (.377), and slugging percentage (.534)."

This will be the highlight of Pillar's offensive career

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
    "Pillar played for the Bluefield Blue Jays in 2011, and batted .347 over 60 games, winning the Appalachian League batting title and leading the organization in batting average. He holds the team's all-time records for batting average, on-base percentage (.377), and slugging percentage (.534)."

This will be the highlight of Pillar's offensive career
    Well he has a shot at the gold glove with Kiermaier missing half the season.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post

How long does it take you to read Reddit and then regurgitate everything you read onto this site? I bet this took less time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

GD (06-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,355 Posts
    We need to take him out of the leadoff spot now. Could just switch Martin and him. Or switch things around and put Bautista there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,254 Posts
    He is who we THOUGHT he was!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    We need to take him out of the leadoff spot now. Could just switch Martin and him. Or switch things around and put Bautista there.
    Seriously. I have no idea why he gets this much rope after being a mediocre hitter his entire career.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,254 Posts
    Jussell Martin's .366 OBP would look pretty zesty in the one-hole.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

P2F (06-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 583 Posts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to baubau For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,175 Posts
    How long does it take you to read Reddit and then regurgitate everything you read onto this site? I bet this took less time.
    read article

CTRL+C

CTRL+V

ez pzy
    Fuck Taylor Swift

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HERPDERP View Post

People with an inferiority complex often act strangely.