Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Preparing for 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskJaysFan_2 View Post
    ~ 8 wins right there. That's a big leap. Assuming we need 15 more wins to get to playoffs in 2018.

Just need ~ 7 wins from other places. Cobb would get us 1-2 more wins. A decent infielder at 2B would get us 3-4 more wins than 2017, whether that is Dee or Devon. People like to slam this roster but really a few twists and we're right back in the thick of things.
    You sure are a glass half full guy. Sanchez was the pitcher battling the injury bug all year. Next season it will be a different pitcher, or two.

~7 wins and a whole LOT of luck, you mean.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Doesn't really work like that. Better to just look at overall projections of win totals given the roster and work your way from there. What happened last year will weigh into projections but adding wins from players isn't as easy as adding the wins from last year to next year.
    You can look at it as a composite, or break it down to make it more granular. I like to look at groups, and the WAR for each group in 2017 and what I hope or think may be the case for 2018. But I'm no expert. I really like stats, and they are super interesting if you break them down in different ways. But I know a lot of you are real metrics masters. I just started getting into the advanced metrics thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SaskJaysFan_2 For This Useful Post:

P2F (10-05-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    With Stroman, Sanchez, Cobb (I pray), Happ and Estrada you have 5 decent starters. 3-4 should pitch most of the season.

Biagini and maybe Anderson, and that guy in AAA who seems decent (name escapes me) would be good 6-8 SPs. Koehler if he is brought back would also be great depth.

To sign Anderson and Koehler it might take $8M+ AAV though. I am not sure that's possible. Koehler goes to arb4 for 2018 and should command at least $5M. Anderson showed enough promise to probably earn $3M+. He's only 29.

Thanks
    I was surprised by the firing of Girardi who I thought was one of the best manager's in baseball - a team that makes the 7th game of the ALCS and did better than most would have predicted seems strange they'd fire him.

Which brings me to the inevitable - should the Jays take a long look here. I am pretty satisfied with Gibby at the helm but it would seem that Joe would be an upgrade. Surely there are a lot of Jays fans who hate Gibby as manager and it would be tough to argue against Joe's credentials (other than his flub against the Indians not calling for the camera replay).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,946 Times in 6,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    I was surprised by the firing of Girardi who I thought was one of the best manager's in baseball - a team that makes the 7th game of the ALCS and did better than most would have predicted seems strange they'd fire him.

Which brings me to the inevitable - should the Jays take a long look here. I am pretty satisfied with Gibby at the helm but it would seem that Joe would be an upgrade. Surely there are a lot of Jays fans who hate Gibby as manager and it would be tough to argue against Joe's credentials (other than his flub against the Indians not calling for the camera replay).
    Girardy suxxxxxxxxxx...
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (11-02-2017)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post

Girardi probably isn't any better than Gibby, and may be worse. Gibby seems to be fine anyway. A manager really needs to just be good at being a people person (holding the respect of the media and the clubhouse), which Gibby is, and listen to the front office, which he seems to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,946 Times in 6,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Girardi probably isn't any better than Gibby, and may be worse. Gibby seems to be fine anyway. A manager really needs to just be good at being a people person (holding the respect of the media and the clubhouse), which Gibby is, and listen to the front office, which he seems to do.
    Uhmm... Gibby's much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,672 Posts
    I don't understand why Gibbons gets so much hate from casual fans. But like Key22 said it's there

Never will
    Last edited by G-Snarls; 10-27-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 975 Posts
    The funny thing is the casual fan should love Gibby. The man is a walking legend on the "good ole boys" meter and his "fuckin beauty" level is off the charts. There's a reason he survived as manager through a front office change over. He's a really good fit for this team right now.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (11-02-2017),Spanky99 (10-27-2017),Terminator (10-28-2017),THANOS (10-29-2017)

Thanks
    Sign Morrow.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bones10 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (11-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    The funny thing is the casual fan should love Gibby. The man is a walking legend on the "good ole boys" meter and his "fuckin beauty" level is off the charts. There's a reason he survived as manager through a front office change over. He's a really good fit for this team right now.
    I wonder if it's just some sort of cultural thing. He's a big simple-talking Texan so maybe the people of TO just simply think he's stupid. Our casual fanbase is also one of the dumbest in all of MLB as well IMO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    Sign Morrow.
    Too expensive

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-28-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I wonder if it's just some sort of cultural thing. He's a big simple-talking Texan so maybe the people of TO just simply think he's stupid. Our casual fanbase is also one of the dumbest in all of MLB as well IMO.
    I don't know if we are the dumbest but we certainly have the worst inferiority complex. Only fans where we care what others think about us and our team. Basically Canadian.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Girardi is a downgrade. Not calling for that replay is indefensible, and reason itself not to hire him. I mean, I love that it happened! But if I'm a Yanks fan, I would have been seething. How can you fall asleep in the playoffs like that?